Filler hit em’ with the RAM shot

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, congrats to Filler on winning the 2019 US Open championship.

But notwithstanding an untimely foul by Wu at the end of the match, in the parlance of Karl Boyes, it has to be said that with the score 10-8 and with the mighty Wu mounting a comeback, Filler definitely hit em’ with the RAM shot to get that 2 ball in. That shot was the turning point of the finals.

The moral of the story: no title has ever been won without a little bit of luck along the way. And perhaps a RAM shot or two.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

But notwithstanding an untimely foul by Wu at the end of the match, in the parlance of Karl Boyes, it has to be said that with the score 10-8 and with the mighty Wu mounting a comeback, Filler definitely hit em’ with the RAM shot to get that 2 ball in. That shot was the turning point of the finals.

The moral of the story: no title has ever been won without a little bit of luck along the way. And perhaps a RAM shot or two.

It didn't have the senselessness of a RAM shot....he was shooting out of a trap...
...playing a bank-combo on the nine....he DID get outrageously lucky...
...fortune favors the brave

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For clarification for those of us that may not know, what does RAM stand for? I assume it means getting lucky and pocketing a ball you didn't intend to, to keep your turn at the table?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
For clarification for those of us that may not know, what does RAM stand for? I assume it means getting lucky and pocketing a ball you didn't intend to, to keep your turn at the table?

The term 'RAM shot" was coined by a former poster who had his own way of playing
8-ball on a bar box...and his own set of rules which he thought should be universal..:rolleyes:
....you'll know when a RAM shot was successfully executed when you've hit the ball
with full force, making four balls, ripping the cloth, and putting three spectators in the
hospital...:yikes:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall

The term 'RAM shot" was coined by a former poster who had his own way of playing
8-ball on a bar box...and his own set of rules which he thought should be universal..:rolleyes:
....you'll know when a RAM shot was successfully executed when you've hit the ball
with full force, making four balls, ripping the cloth, and putting three spectators in the

I will always remember that as the Buddy Hall shot. Buddy said when you don't have a shot, knock hell out of the ball and hope for the best! When Buddy knocked hell out of a ball everybody within a few tables needed to get out of the way. He didn't need it often but his power stroke was awesome!

Hu

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I called it, "Hit Em Hard and wish them well." I would warn my opponent before the shot with, "you better have your splash guards on!"

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well now that the watching party is over are you ready to play some? I'm out and about again

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was growing up in the pool hall, we had a goofy guy nicknamed “Bull” (his real name as Basil) who was about an A-speed player who could go a gear higher at times. I don’t know where he got the nickname, but it fittingly described his game when he sometimes got into trouble.

He would bring out the RAM and he would slam the object ball and somehow get every ball on the table into motion flying at warp speed. In most cases, he would wind up making a ball, often a money ball or the game ball, but, if not, he would make something else and then wind up in perfect position for the next ball.

He would then start jumping up and down, laughing, and hollering, “Hezekiah”. What Hezekiah had to do with the game of pool, I don’t know, but the rest of the players would be hollering, “That’s Bull...bullshit”.

In edit: I just now thought of something that I never have thought of before, in the decades I’ve known this guy. His last name was “Counts”. It all makes sense now...Bull Counts.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Part of the official RAM shot explanation included a running start. I have never seen one played in person, but there is a YouTube video of one (of course).

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob, that reminds me...I can't remember how it's done, but I saw a guy once that broke the balls with a weird approach. He lay the break cue on the table with the butt overhanging the end rail, then he jogged up to the table, hit the butt of the break cue which caused the cue stick to jump into the air, then he caught it and broke the balls, all in one smooth motion.

Make no mistake, it was idiotic. But memorable...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob, that reminds me...I can't remember how it's done, but I saw a guy once that broke the balls with a weird approach. He lay the break cue on the table with the butt overhanging the end rail, then he jogged up to the table, hit the butt of the break cue which caused the cue stick to jump into the air, then he caught it and broke the balls, all in one smooth motion.

Make no mistake, it was idiotic. But memorable...

Did he make a ball?

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
It didn't have the senselessness of a RAM shot....he was shooting out of a trap...
...playing a bank-combo on the nine....he DID get outrageously lucky...
...fortune favors the brave

Paul,

The whole scenario was outrageous. Watched it live and repeated that shot several times. Still have no idea what Mr Filler was actually trying to do. Can say he received one of the most timely table rolls I've seen in quite a while. Unless my vision is completely gone, the object ball "curved" into the corner pocket as it passed the cue ball. What say you?

Lyn

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The whole scenario was outrageous. Watched it live and repeated that shot several times. Still have no idea what Mr Filler was actually trying to do.

He was trying to bank the 2 into the 9, then the 9 off the side cushion, off the 5, into the corner pocket.

The right shot was described by Boyes. Thin the left side of the 2 and try to bring the cue ball three cushions behind the 5.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Paul,

The whole scenario was outrageous. Watched it live and repeated that shot several times. Still have no idea what Mr Filler was actually trying to do. Can say he received one of the most timely table rolls I've seen in quite a while. Unless my vision is completely gone, the object ball "curved" into the corner pocket as it passed the cue ball. What say you?

Lyn

Lyn, it reminded me of Sigel in his prime....a very smart player, but he knew when his best
response was to lash...playing safe there was too tough....the 9-ball got a lotta travel
time with his choice.
...and balls being cut,,,and hitting rails...and hitting other balls...pick up spin....
...when balls are spinning, you can see some weird reactions.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Part of the official RAM shot explanation included a running start. I have never seen one played in person, but there is a YouTube video of one (of course).

link? could not find just searching for ram shot

angry ram vs excavator was funny though

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
link? could not find just searching for ram shot

angry ram vs excavator was funny though

It's also known as a "Happy Gilmore" pool shot. Youtube is full of those.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nu11AMZXY
Anyway the guy(s) that came up with the "ram" shot was a world class troll. I don't use the term "world class" lightly either. He actually wrote an entire manual with made up words for every element of pool, including the table itself, the cue and the stroke. If you can get through a full page of that without either laughing, cursing or both, I salute you.
https://issuu.com/poolkillers81/docs/a_beginner_s_guide_to_8_ball_pool

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back in the day we use to call that shot a "poke and hope" shot.
Back in the day we got ring nine ball games together when nothing else was happening and since safeties were forbidden, you often had to get as many balls moving as possible. Seven balls up, six pockets, no good shot, think of the possibilities.