Opinions Needed Regarding Guerra Cues

jim_vielee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi I have been admiring Guerra Cues for awhile now, but never seen one in person. I'm just wanting some opinions on these cues such as playability and craftsmanship. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated before I place an order.

Thanks!!

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen anything new from Tony in a while. Was wondering if he's still making cues. He's got an eye for picking woods and he makes a beautiful cue.

Other than the normal cue maker "finish date" issues, he was easy to work with. Mine has a 3/8 x 11 pin and the shaft has a pretty stiff hit, which i am used to with my southwest. Haven't had any issues with the finish or anything like that.

edit. here's mine. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5407857#post5407857

Last edited:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I have a friend who has a few off his cues and has always said good things. I think he is a non posting member here. I will see if he will post his opinion.

jim_vielee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen anything new from Tony in a while. Was wondering if he's still making cues. He's got an eye for picking woods and he makes a beautiful cue.

Other than the normal cue maker "finish date" issues, he was easy to work with. Mine has a 3/8 x 11 pin and the shaft has a pretty stiff hit, which i am used to with my southwest. Haven't had any issues with the finish or anything like that.

edit. here's mine. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5407857#post5407857

Very nice. I'm thinking of four point brazilian rosewood into brazilian rosewood with flame veneers.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Tony

Very nice. I'm thinking of brazilian rosewood into brazilian rosewood with flame veneers.

Tony is a super nice guy,
He has a passion for fine woods and does very nice work.
His cues are nothing less then first class .................
His eye for wood or his wood that he has in stock is nothing less then some of the finest figured exotic woods to be found ..

Joqpub4

AZB GOLD
Silver Member
Guerra

A friend of mine has one ordered with him...

this statement from a previous poster, "Other than the normal cue maker "finish date" issues"... is oh so true... My friend has been waiting (not always so patiently) but the continual excuses and missed delivery dates are getting real hard for him to take...

Buyer beware is my comment.

jim_vielee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine has one ordered with him...

this statement from a previous poster, "Other than the normal cue maker "finish date" issues"... is oh so true... My friend has been waiting (not always so patiently) but the continual excuses and missed delivery dates are getting real hard for him to take...

Buyer beware is my comment.

Thanks. I was hoping to find one of his pointed cues on the secondary market but no such luck. I even had a buddy of mine who went to the Super Billiards Expo look for one but he didn't have any luck either. Does he have any dealers?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i bought a couple from him
they were really nice,but i never keep a cue long

i would gladly buy another one

Joqpub4

AZB GOLD
Silver Member
He did at least one with CNC inlay... because I considered it on the secondary market a few years ago... swiss Chris/Cleiton for sure had it, but can't locate a picture.

-Joe

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Tony

He did at least one with CNC inlay... because I considered it on the secondary market a few years ago... swiss Chris/Cleiton for sure had it, but can't locate a picture.

-Joe

The times I have talked to tony on the phone he seemed like he really wasn't interested in doing points .
That is the only reason I said what I did .

I like Tony and surprised he is so late getting a cue to a customer ..as someone said above .

Good luck in finding the cue you want....

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does Tony do points ? .
All the cues I have seen of his are Plain Jane ..

Yes, Tony does points. He is moving shop though, last I heard.

Someone mentioned that he did a 3/8x11 pin, and that may be true for that specific cue, but his standard is 3/8x10. The construction on his cues is very consistent, and he cores most of his forearms. Tony also changed his shaft taper a few years ago, so his old ones will be stiffer and have a thicker spine than his newer cues. With the 3/4 inch ferrules, there's not too much deflection, and they spin the ball plenty.

They sell way cheaper on the secondary market than what he charges new. If you can find one, I'd say you'd likely be getting a good deal.

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Seems to have been a nice enuff person. I only had one dealing with him and it was an easy one.

His cue pics looked pretty decent. All I ever saw was pics.

He went whole hog into the cue machinery so imagine he might be working with CnC by now.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are There Are 2 Cue-Makers Named Guerra Out There?

My buddy is having an exasperating time getting his custom finished & the cue was due long ago. He can't get any commitment when it will be completed or issuance of a refund. .

From what I can tell, this sure resembles the same behavior pattern manifested by Messrs. Lee Pepper & Tony Zinzola et al. And what became of those cue-makers and their angry
clients? My buddy has a substantial down payment invested so he's literally screwed & has to sit, hope & wait. What an awful situation to be in.......his cue was supposed to be finished
before my two cues posted in the Cue Gallery that will completed next month..............So how would you feel if you were in his shoes?

I've been getting phone calls and regularly photos on my cues progress and both will be completed on schedule, like other customs I've ordered. Both cue-makers are always available
and responsive. He's paying a lot of money, as much as I did for one of my cues. And both of my customs will arrive way before Guerra finishes his cue & he doesn't know how his cue
is coming along. That means he sits and twiddles his thumbs praying that his cue will ultimately get completed and who knows when that will be.

Folks, that is a bunch of bullshit and cue-makers that behave that way and mistreat their clients taking them for granted deserve public condemnation long before any praise...... JMO.
Thank goodness the cue-makers I've dealt with are honorable people and men of integrity. They talk the walk and walk the talk......no pretenses or ambiguities.....I guess I'm just lucky.

Matt B.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Tony

Yes, Tony does points. He is moving shop though, last I heard.

Someone mentioned that he did a 3/8x11 pin, and that may be true for that specific cue, but his standard is 3/8x10. The construction on his cues is very consistent, and he cores most of his forearms. Tony also changed his shaft taper a few years ago, so his old ones will be stiffer and have a thicker spine than his newer cues. With the 3/4 inch ferrules, there's not too much deflection, and they spin the ball plenty.

They sell way cheaper on the secondary market than what he charges new. If you can find one, I'd say you'd likely be getting a good deal.

I haven't talked with tony for a couple of years.

3/8 x 10 pin I knew about.

If you see him tell him I said hi, and thanks for the update, I didn't know he was moving his shop ...

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
My buddy is having an exasperating time getting his custom finished & the cue was due long ago. He can't get any commitment when it will be completed or issuance of a refund. .

From what I can tell, this sure resembles the same behavior pattern manifested by Messrs. Lee Pepper & Tony Zinzola et al. And what became of those cue-makers and their angry
clients? My buddy has a substantial down payment invested so he's literally screwed & has to sit, hope & wait. What an awful situation to be in.......his cue was supposed to be finished
before my two cues posted in the Cue Gallery that will completed next month..............So how would you feel if you were in his shoes?

I've been getting phone calls and regularly photos on my cues progress and both will be completed on schedule, like other customs I've ordered. Both cue-makers are always available
and responsive. He's paying a lot of money, as much as I did for one of my cues. And both of my customs will arrive way before Guerra finishes his cue & he doesn't know how his cue
is coming along. That means he sits and twiddles his thumbs praying that his cue will ultimately get completed and who knows when that will be.

Folks, that is a bunch of bullshit and cue-makers that behave that way and mistreat their clients taking them for granted deserve public condemnation long before any praise...... JMO.
Thank goodness the cue-makers I've dealt with are honorable people and men of integrity. They talk the walk and walk the talk......no pretenses or ambiguities.....I guess I'm just lucky.

Matt B.

I had a big Cue from him which has a problem, so send it back to him that was now 3 years ago, still n my Money back or a new Cue which he promised so many times to get, so many times only bla bla bla.
One Friend in Germany paid him a deposit and also only bla bla bla.
Sorry Tony, if you read this you know that's the TRUE.

He divorce, married again and moving the Shop which is true and promised now I will get my new Cue soon, I really "HOPE" it will come true.
Ralf

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
I am back

Guys,

I am not dead. I had a nasty divorce that lasted about a year. My ex would not even allowed me to work in my shop and turned it upside down.
So where is Tony and Guerra Cues now?
I moved to Sandy, Utah, as well my shop.
I will be starting tapering shafts this Saturday if all goes well and yep I am back in business.
My priority and focus is to deliver cues that are super late, and cues that are just about done, all of this because of my personal turmoil. Nobody's fault but mine but I am humbled and I appreciate the following and patience that my customers have with me.
I have my shop almost organized. I will be leveling my machines this weekend and that is all I need to get some of my machines going.
I started working with my CNC, all my shafts are CNC'd tapered and I am waiting on a new CNC that should come in soon.
I don't have an eta on when I will start delivering cues because I need to repair some things that got broken along the way.
I will be posting some new cues in the AZB Gallery soon.

Good thoughts and thanks to all of you guys. I will be in the SBE next year.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
I had a big Cue from him which has a problem, so send it back to him that was now 3 years ago, still n my Money back or a new Cue which he promised so many times to get, so many times only bla bla bla.
One Friend in Germany paid him a deposit and also only bla bla bla.
Sorry Tony, if you read this you know that's the TRUE.

He divorce, married again and moving the Shop which is true and promised now I will get my new Cue soon, I really "HOPE" it will come true.
Ralf

Ralf,

I am working on your stuff and your cue did not have a problem, You just didn't like the cue or played the way you thought it would play. The cue I made you was one of the best playing cues I've put together. You will get your cues as promised.

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
Glad to see you posting again Tony. I miss seeing your cues in the gallery! Hope to see you more on here now.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's wonderful that Mr. Guerra responded & things can unexpectedly go sideways for anyone.
The thing is no matter how bad things can become, periodic communication is necessary.
Customers should never have to pursue finding out what's going on with their cue.
When you go past the forecasted completion time frame, just keep your customers apprised.

OK.....enuf with the past. Let's wipe the blackboard clean and start all over as if nothing had
ever gone awry. Just recognize that you are being gauged by your actions from here on out
instead of statements. Let your customers come back and praise your communication updates
and that their cue arrived and how happy they are you built it.,,,,,but no more bullshit......it's
simply too easy to pick uo the phone to let your clients know what's going on with their cue orders.

I look forward to seeing photos of your cues in the Cue gallery and what I'm sure will be laudable
reviews by the new cues' owners. Thank you for acting in such a forthright, responsible manner
by quickly responding to this thread.

Matt B.