Balukas to the US Open 9-Ball....

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
In looking over the registered list of players for the US Open 9-Ball Championships on Facebook today....listed was none other than the great Jean Balukas who if I'm not mistaken has not played in a major tournament since the '80's incident with the WPBA....if it's really true that's worth the trip in October...

Jackson

http://www.facebook.com/notes/us-op...hips-player-list-as-of-712010/135159076509160

I am sure she is "invited" by the promoter; however I think there is zero chance she will accept it.

JMS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure she is "invited" by the promoter; however I think there is zero chance she will accept it.

Corey, the facebook page the list is for players that have registered to play so far. Why did you write that she was invited?

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey, the facebook page the list is for players that have registered to play so far. Why did you write that she was invited?

She probably was invited, along with many other champion players. However, as you said the player list is of those players who have registered for the event. So it sounds to me like she has accepted the invitation and is going to play.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robun Dodson is listed also - do you think she was "invited" - wasn't she the one who lodged a protest that Jean was "sharking" her?? What are the odds if they both play and draw each other? It is tough to come out of retirement and then compete rgardless of how well you played at one time but one never knows - I saw Jean playing Mizerack in an exhibition and saw her win a tournament at Resorts. She really looked good and had a great stroke. If she plays I hope she does well.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member

She probably was invited, along with many other champion players. However, as you said the player list is of those players who have registered for the event. So it sounds to me like she has accepted the invitation and is going to play.

I would love to see Jean play again; however...

...there is virtually no way she registered. Barry "pays" the entries for former US Open winners. As I understand it, he is honoring the ladies as well this time.

So she may be "registered"; however no way Jean plays - IMO. The final US Open line-up will not have Jean - nor many of the other ladies listed, in it.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
As I understand it there is a conflict between the US Open on the 17-23rd of September and the Women's World 10 Ball on the 24th of Sep. - 1st of Nov.

These two events being on top of each other will cause some players to skip the US Open just so they have enough travel time to get to the Manila event.

I think that the inclusion of the ladies this year was a surprise to everyone so there was not any time to reschedule either event in deference to the other.

I can guarantee you that at least one lady I know relishes the opportunity to compete for the US Open title but she may have to skip it this year due to this conflict.

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
As I understand it there is a conflict between the US Open on the 17-23rd of September and the Women's World 10 Ball on the 24th of Sep. - 1st of Nov.

These two events being on top of each other will cause some players to skip the US Open just so they have enough travel time to get to the Manila event.

I think that the inclusion of the ladies this year was a surprise to everyone so there was not any time to reschedule either event in deference to the other.

I can guarantee you that at least one lady I know relishes the opportunity to compete for the US Open title but she may have to skip it this year due to this conflict.

Last I heard the Ten Ball event wasn't solid.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
It always cracks me up that they couldn't guess what she performed ... meanwhile there's a pool table set up on set 10ft over to the right lol

I'd take one look at that table, assume one of the two kids did something pool related, and make that my first guess.

Nate:

At the opening moments of that video, you'll see that there was no pool table on stage -- at least not in the final position on the stage when Jean starts playing on it. The pool table was probably off back stage to the right ("stage back right" along with the rest of the props for the show), and you might recall that the contestants' desks/booths were on the right side of the main showroom floor. So even if the pool table was set up in the back stage area to the right, those contestants wouldn't be able to see it because of the wall between them and the back stage area. One of them would've had to get up from their desk/booth, walk over to the curtain area / entrance to back stage area, and peer inside, to the right, to be able to see it.

I'm fairly sure none of them saw the pool table, until it was brought out from stage back right. And this would make sense for this show -- since you don't want *any* clues other than the verbal ones given.

-Sean

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
If Jeannie comes they'll be hanging from the rafters!

I hope she comes and plays, even if she isn't in top form. I'd love to see her play in a match again. I remember seeing her on ESPN many times including the time she had the problem and was fined by the WPBA, which ended her career.

James

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to see her play.

Cole Dickson wasnt in top form and he played at the DCC. Keith McCready would be another that is a crowd favorite and would be great if he played too.

Pool isnt like boxing where if they arent in top form they may get knocked into next year, they might go "two and out", but who cares?

Especially if the field isnt full.

Once the field gets full, then I can see the other side if someone that isnt competitive is taking a spot where someone is denied that has a legitimate shot at winning.

JMO,

Ken

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would love to see her play.

Cole Dickson wasnt in top form and he played at the DCC. Keith McCready would be another that is a crowd favorite and would be great if he played too.

Pool isnt like boxing where if they arent in top form they may get knocked into next year, they might go "two and out", but who cares?

Especially if the field isnt full.

Once the field gets full, then I can see the other side if someone that isnt competitive is taking a spot where someone is denied that has a legitimate shot at winning.

JMO,

Ken

Can you just imagine if Jeannie came out of retirement after over twenty years and went deep in the tournament. People all over the pool world would be going crazy! I've seen stranger things happen.