• It's ok.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • It's no good.

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
I guess I haven't been paying attention. I ran into a rare situation the other day and thought that Billiard Buddy didn't handle it, so I made a mental note to think through it later so I could tell Tim (Arsenius) about it. It turns out, however, that Tim was ahead of me - the special situation had already been programmed for. I write this note to point that out to those who, like me, might be stumped when this rare situation happens to you.

The special situation is when the player pockets both balls in his last shot of the rack, i.e., the intended break ball is accidentally pocketed along with the called ball. As we know, 15 balls are now racked and the shooter has ball in hand in the kitchen. Billiard Buddy has a special "button" for when that happens. Instead of hitting the "New Rack" button, hit the "15th Ball Pocketed" button that also appears at the end of the rack. This button is situated in between the scoring wheels and the current score.

Great job again, Tim!

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also am really fond of the app. My only complaints are very minor but here they go, perhaps they can be used as a future option:

1. More like a scoreboard. Right now, the colors are meant to be very pool-like. I wish it had a black background with bright colored text and larger text for the actual score. That way, spectators can read what's on an iPad and follow-along.

2. Scoring could be simpler. Right now, it's a dial which again is very pool-like. It would be easier if there were simply buttons for the number of balls pocketed (15 buttons on each side. After balls are scored, buttons would disappear). In fact, there's so much real-estate near the dials that adding buttons wouldn't even require changing things around much.

3. Historical data. Right now, you can view each game you played but it doesn't compile all of your games into a single view. There should be things like "Billiards Buddy Highrun" and "Billiards Buddy High Average". The more information you can retain in this app, the more useful it will be to the user and the more likely they are to continue using it.

4. Friending. Perhaps Facebook-integration or something like it. It would be nice if I could select who I am playing from my current list of Facebook friends.

5. More games. 14.1 is an obvious choice because it's the most detailed game in pool but details such as these would be amazingly valuable in other games like 8ball, 9ball and 10ball. It would be great if this app utilized Accu-Stats rating systems.

Anyway, I just want to say, I know the developer has been doing much of this on his own time with very little concern about making actual money off it. It's excellent work and I'll definitely continue supporting him. I just feel this app is really onto something and could become a vital tool in documenting a player's progress. I don't know much about the app-business, especially when it comes to billiard apps but I have to imagine that if this app reaches this point, it could be a fairly lucrative "side project" for him. Again, great work and please keep it up!

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
I guess I haven't been paying attention. I ran into a rare situation the other day and thought that Billiard Buddy didn't handle it, so I made a mental note to think through it later so I could tell Tim (Arsenius) about it. It turns out, however, that Tim was ahead of me - the special situation had already been programmed for. I write this note to point that out to those who, like me, might be stumped when this rare situation happens to you.

The special situation is when the player pockets both balls in his last shot of the rack, i.e., the intended break ball is accidentally pocketed along with the called ball. As we know, 15 balls are now racked and the shooter has ball in hand in the kitchen. Billiard Buddy has a special "button" for when that happens. Instead of hitting the "New Rack" button, hit the "15th Ball Pocketed" button that also appears at the end of the rack. This button is situated in between the scoring wheels and the current score.

Great job again, Tim!

Just correcting a mistake I made in the above. If the 15th ball is pocketed all 15 are racked but the cue ball remains in place if it is not in the rack. If it is in the rack, then it's cue ball in hand in the kitchen.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Just so everyone knows, today version 2.0 was released in the app store. It now supports device rotation and iPad. If you have given it a rating in the past, please do so again. Apple resets the ratings and reviews from version to version, so giving it a new rating will help keep it towards the top of the results. Thanks everyone! The link is in my signature.

Also, if anyone is using Facebook, please "Like" Billiards Buddy there.
https://www.facebook.com/BilliardsBuddy

From here on out I am planning on increasing the frequency of updates. Already have one ready to go out tonight.

Just remembered. This version should also include a fix for the "high run ending with a foul" issue. So please try it out and see if that's working properly.

When I try to email results from matches out of the history section, it does not work. Can this be fixed. Otherwise, I can't do anything with my histories. I sent you an email but no response.

Also, whenever I open the app, it has a game started with a player's name already in there. Then when I close it, it "saves" that non-game in the history section. Minor but bothersome.

Let me know if the first problem can be fixed.

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member
Just so everyone knows, today version 2.0 was released in the app store. It now supports device rotation and iPad. If you have given it a rating in the past, please do so again. Apple resets the ratings and reviews from version to version, so giving it a new rating will help keep it towards the top of the results. Thanks everyone! The link is in my signature.

Also, if anyone is using Facebook, please "Like" Billiards Buddy there.
https://www.facebook.com/BilliardsBuddy

From here on out I am planning on increasing the frequency of updates. Already have one ready to go out tonight.

Just remembered. This version should also include a fix for the "high run ending with a foul" issue. So please try it out and see if that's working properly.

Practically everyone in our 14.1 league have billiard buddy. great apps. Many thanks
for creating it.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having trouble with this lately. Whenever I go to delete a match in the history, it kicks me out of the app. Any solution to this?

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
BB Update

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't been back here in a while. Seems like I'm not getting updates on this thread or I just missed them somehow.

Just wanted to let everyone know that there will be an update coming out in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping to submit to apple this week and have it accepted about a week later. It will primarily be an update to support iOS 8 (only) and fix the crash on email bug. From there I hope to be able to make updates more often and hopefully add some new features.

Thanks for everybody's patience with the bugs. By way of explanation, Apple stopped accepting updates for apps that didn't fully support iOS 7, but there were to many changes required to make in the limited time I've had. iOS 8 solved a lot of those problems, so things are going to be much easier from here on out.

-Tim

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally starting to get some free time to pick up my 14.1 game again. Is there a way to tell if we have the Pro version of Billiards Buddy installed on our iPad? I'd like to post stats for some recent games, but when I try to, it seems to post only an ad. Thought maybe the iPad didn't "get" the Pro version?

Thanks!