Carbon fiber shaft colors

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is black the only color carbon fiber shafts come in? The reason I'm asking is that I'm in the market for a new playing cue and was trying out a Revo. The black shaft/no ferrule made aiming very tough and though it otherwise felt good I'm not sure if adjusting (if I ever do) to a black shaft is worth it. I think the Becue was white initially, but all I see for it now is black.

Last edited:

JMS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB cues is coming out with a carbon fiber core shaft surrounded by wood.

Attachments

• 4F51AD38-E443-4107-8F3A-9E6387CBBD94.jpg
    4F51AD38-E443-4107-8F3A-9E6387CBBD94.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 1,006

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two years ago at the SBE Becue had a red dyed CF shaft and butt. They have the technology and also are willing to do this type of custom work.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carbon fiber fibers are actually very dark grey.
If you see a medium deep yellow/orange color in the weave, those of kevlar strands.

One can cover the carbon fiber with epoxy or other resins.
These resins range from light translucent orange through darker shades,
but can be died with many additives {red, green, yellow, blue, purple,...}.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Um, Becue, please? They came in white, too.

The Becue came in white because it was painted with airplane paint. It made the feel so sticky, think that's why they changed to the black with no paint now.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess there will be enough details to be improved in future generations of c.f. shafts and their color is one of them. Like it was mentioned it is not that difficult to produce carbon fiber impregnated by the epoxy resins with certain additives to get a shaft in lets say light grey color. The earlier the customers will start to demand what they exactly want for their money the more chances we'll see manufacturers start to do something about it.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is an independent cue maker in Germany here: https://www.go-customs.com/

They used to make their CF cues with all kinds of interesting finishes, including a wood-grain look, but I can’t find any sign of those on their site now. Maybe like Becue they decided to just go black.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just try the Cuetec shaft with white ferrule that makes alignment so friggin' easier than with Revo's shaft,
even with the original gold Predator tip. The deflection difference between the two is so minsicule that it's
not going to affect your game one ioata. However, your sight picture is like night & day due to Cuetec's ferrule.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can mask the tip and an area behind the tip, leaving a gap. Then paint that section white or any colour that you prefer.
There was a New York composites company that had white carbon fibre. The individual fibres where coated white with some pigmented sizing compound. Then it was put all into tow, and then made into cloth and other carbon products. But the actual fibre in the centre of each filament is still black. So when a part was made and then the fibres were sanded through, the black was showing through and looked gray in the sanded areas and white in the areas not sanded. This was around 2012 or so.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Cue-Tec was one of the first. It wasn't until Predator's marketing figured a way to get folks to excited to pay $600 for shaft.:D

Apparently you don’t know the difference between between fiberglass and carbon fiber.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Cue-Tec was one of the first. It wasn't until Predator's marketing figured a way to get folks to excited to pay $600 for shaft.:D

Look up some old patents that Predator had on Carbon fibre cue shafts.
It's interesting.

MalibuMike

Banned
Mezz has a Carbon Fiber center!

I wouldn't buy an OB Shaft if its Center had fluffy, whipped nougat.
I had a Revo, see my signature Pic, I sold it and went back to my Mezz ExPro!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
These are all "Carbon Fiber Reinforced Composite (Resin, Plastic) Cues". The Carbon Fiber (CF) is like the re-bar or wire mesh in concrete.

The CF used to strengthen the composite is grey/black so black resin is used to give it a uniform color. It could be any other color but it would look like a mottled mess with the CF all over the place at inconsistent depths below the surface.

I am neither for or against them, they have some advantages but I am not interested at the moment...my cue is not the limiting factor in my game.

They are also pretty low tech and very late to the game compared to cycling, fishing, lacrosse, skiing, golf, and a hundred other sports and the CF equipment they've used for decades.

Last edited: