Brunswick 360 History

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That cue was in an article in Billiards Digest. The case was the really unique thing, and they had no idea who had built either the cue or case...but surmised that it was a master builder.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I would love to see that article.

I saw the original estate auction. Watched it intensely.

There was fairly substantial provenance provided.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 36 was and is a beautiful cue but to be honest, I'm a little more intrigued by the hub cue. Does anyone have one intact?

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, I knew when I decided to go down this rabbit hole it would be a challenge (one of the reasons I wanted to do it) but there is very little info available. I still have a couple of sources that I'm waiting on emails back from. When I find anything new I'll post up. I want to thank everyone that has contributed! Still got tons of unanswered questions, but I'll get there, just wanted to keep everyone updated.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 36 was and is a beautiful cue but to be honest, I'm a little more intrigued by the hub cue. Does anyone have one intact?

I know of one that is intact, he recently contacted me about my 360 quest. I know he has seen this tread, but dont know if he wants to post it. I'll ask him too, if not, maybe he can send me the pics and I'll start another thread with it.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I started down this research road, had no idea it would be this difficult. Good things come to those that wait... I hope!
Got a few emails out to various people/company's, just waiting on response. If anyone has any info, or a good reference for me to talk with, I would very much appreciate it.

Lets see some more pics!

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've sent out quite a few emails about the 360's and it seems nobody has any more info than has already been posted in this thread. If anyone can point me in a direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to PM, if you don't want anything public, I will keep it for my own knowledge. I just want as much info on this awesome cue as possible.

And... check out this monster from the master! http://www.blackcues.com/more_functional_art/2017.shtml

TILT9

Banned
just clicked the Richard Black link , I'm now paying attention. :)
actually , I also viewed the 360 and it's case , first time I've seen it , did anyone notice the quality of the red velvet lining.
is it also true the maker of the cue cannot be or has not been identified?
hard to believe.
thanks for all the post's and links , this has been a treat.

Last edited:

TILT9

Banned
Richard Black's 2017

followed up on the photo after opening that link that was posted.
I bet the shoots a ton.
how much time do you think he spent all together? dreaming it up, sketching, blueprinting and then finally building?

Attachments

• 231a.jpg
    231a.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 325

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've sent out quite a few emails about the 360's and it seems nobody has any more info than has already been posted in this thread. If anyone can point me in a direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to PM, if you don't want anything public, I will keep it for my own knowledge. I just want as much info on this awesome cue as possible.

And... check out this monster from the master! http://www.blackcues.com/more_functional_art/2017.shtml

I appreciate your dogged determination.

Numerous people have dug in this hole before and it might be assumed we know all that we ever will. But it never hurts to look again. You never know when something important that was long forgotten will be re-discovered.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member

I've found records of the 36 / (360) being sold as early as 1898 for $10.00

At that time, for 50 cents more, you had the option of having the grip area cut in one of four ornamental styles....
Style E
Style G
Style H
Style J
360 grip options.jpg

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
It appears that a few years later they also included the option of letting you specify which (fine) wood would be used for the butt portion. Ebony, Snakewood etc. For an extra $1.25 of course

1907 36.png

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
This ad from 1928 shows the 36 with an Ebony butt and the 360 with a different lighter wood in the butt section.

At this time you also had the option of getting it wrapped if you desired. Cork, leather, linen etc

360 ad.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Bond,
Thank you so much for posting! That's the first time I've seen the carved handle part. I wonder is any 360's survived with Snakewood?
And, since Brunswick was offering custom wood, handles and wrap, I can only assume that they were making these "in house" and not importing the blanks as I imagine the cost to import one custom blank would not be worth the trouble. Since I'm taking that leap in logic... that would mean Rambow would have definitely had at least some hand in making these cues.
It's driving me crazy, not knowing who deserves the credit for the design. And, if they came up with this design, what else have they come up with that never seen the light of day?

Snakewood and Ebony 360 with non Titlist veneers... I can only imagine!

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mr. Bond,
Thank you so much for posting! That's the first time I've seen the carved handle part. I wonder is any 360's survived with Snakewood?
And, since Brunswick was offering custom wood, handles and wrap, I can only assume that they were making these "in house" and not importing the blanks as I imagine the cost to import one custom blank would not be worth the trouble. Since I'm taking that leap in logic... that would mean Rambow would have definitely had at least some hand in making these cues.
It's driving me crazy, not knowing who deserves the credit for the design. And, if they came up with this design, what else have they come up with that never seen the light of day?

Snakewood and Ebony 360 with non Titlist veneers... I can only imagine!

They were definitely made in the U.S., most likely at their giant cue factory in Muskegon, but possibly in Chicago.

However, there's two problems with the possible Rambow connection:

1.) Rambow worked at the Chicago facility and not in Muskegon. We don't know which location was producing the 36.

(However, a business partner of Rambow's named Axel F. Hort did indeed work at both locations, and he was older than Rambow. Perhaps it was his design?)

2. Brunswick hired Rambow as a mail boy in about 1896 (he was 14) but they were selling the 360 by 1898, so its pretty safe to say that Rambow didn't design it.

TILT9

Banned
This thread is getting really good , I took for granted Richard Black dreamed up the design.
I had no idea it came from yesteryear , an amazing reproduction.
Thanks Jon , great thread .

Arounceville

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pictures

A few pictures
Finished black and a blank I just completed

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0057.jpg