CTE works for straight in shots.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Chew on that for a while. Once you have figured out that it's true move the cueball a ball's width in either direction and repeat the steps.

Keep doing that until you find an impossible shot.

Basic CTE as I use it.

Stand behind the cueball roughly in line with the Center to Edge line. If you are cutting to the right then you will align the center of the cue ball with the left edge of the object ball.

Bring the cue tip down on the cue ball's edge - right or left doesn't matter and in the same motion your bridge hand will be descending onto the table.

As your cue approaches the cue ball coming in from the edge pivot the tip towards the center and settle your bridge hand on the table.

At this point you should be in line with the center cueball aiming line that is correct to make the shot.

If you don't get it from these written instructions then perhaps you may need some coaching in person.

Sort of like trying to learn a golf swing through the written word. It can be described but rarely duplicated from the description. I imagine as I am not a golfer.

However I am a diver and as a springboard diver and a high diver I can confidently say that neither I nor anyone I have known has ever learned any dive by reading about it.

So anyway, set up any straight in shot you want and I can use CTE to line up for it.

Any makeable shot on the pool table that can be drawn with the CueTable is a shot that I can use CTE according to the above directions to make.

Last thing,

Ghost Ball does not work. If you set up a Ghost Ball aim trainer on the perfect Ghost Ball position and direct someone to shoot EXACTLY over the ghost ball then most of the time the object ball will be thrown off course.

The shooter MUST make an adjustment for contact induced throw. So Ghost Ball is only a concept of aiming that is good on paper but requires a lot of practice to use reliably in real play.

Here is an experiment you can do yourself to see if it's better to use an imaginary sphere to aim or the balls that do exist.

Set up a straight in shot.

Use the Ghost Ball method to shoot it ten times.

Now use this method:

Make sure that both edges of the cue ball are dead in line with both edges of the object ball. Put your cue down in the center of those edges and shoot.

I bet you make the ball more times using method #2 than by using the Ghost Ball.

Now here is another little experiment you can do just for fun. Set up a shot with a shallow angle.

Line up so that you are facing the object ball as if you are going to hit square and straight on. Put your bridge hand down at the distance you normally would but aligned with the edge of the cue ball. Pivot into center with the tip and shoot. See if you make the object ball. You will see by the pivot if you are dead wrong or if you will be sending the object ball in the direction of the pocket.

This is not CTE. But it's fun to play with and see how many shots can be made this way. Surprisingly more than you would think. Mark the object ball position and move only the cueball.

The actual distance from the Center to Edge line and the Ghost Ball Line is very small. And where those two lines converge at the cueball it means that the actual pivot movement of the cue stick is very small because the divergence behind the cueball is very very small.

So the fact of it is that while the "pivot" is a big question mark when discussing these systems in reality it's a small thing and easily conquered with a little practice.

Using the Center to Edge line is only the way that the shooter orients themselves to the shot and the pivot is the small adjustment that brings them to the perfect (or perfect enough to pocket) aiming line. How to pivot, how much to pivot, where the bridge hand goes, all that becomes easy after a little practice.

To me it's much easier than trying to figure out how much to compensate for contact-induced-throw using Ghost Ball. I.e how much to the left or right of true center pocket I need to imagine my perfect 2.25" sphere in order to then aim my cueball at THAT instead of the actual object ball.

So anyway, CTE works for straight in shots. Why would you need it for a straight in shot? Why not if it works and you can use on all your other shots too?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Pointing the tip to the center of the cueball, down through the center of the object ball down to the center of the pocket works too. Make sure you pull that stick in line with that line too.
May not be as good as CTE though.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dead straight in balls are the easiest shot in pool for me, i pray that i land dead straight on the $ ball(not in the middle of a runout) how can you miss them? there is only one way to hit a straight in ball and thats straight-easy as pie.

DangerousDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pointing the tip to the center of the cueball, down through the center of the object ball down to the center of the pocket works too. Make sure you pull that stick in line with that line too.

Great Scott, this works every time! Even the math checks out!

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Chew on that for a while. Once you have figured out that it's true move the cueball a ball's width in either direction and repeat the steps.

Keep doing that until you find an impossible shot.

Basic CTE as I use it.

Stand behind the cueball roughly in line with the Center to Edge line. If you are cutting to the right then you will align the center of the cue ball with the left edge of the object ball.

Bring the cue tip down on the cue ball's edge - right or left doesn't matter and in the same motion your bridge hand will be descending onto the table.

As your cue approaches the cue ball coming in from the edge pivot the tip towards the center and settle your bridge hand on the table.

At this point you should be in line with the center cueball aiming line that is correct to make the shot.

If you don't get it from these written instructions then perhaps you may need some coaching in person.

Sort of like trying to learn a golf swing through the written word. It can be described but rarely duplicated from the description. I imagine as I am not a golfer.

However I am a diver and as a springboard diver and a high diver I can confidently say that neither I nor anyone I have known has ever learned any dive by reading about it.

So anyway, set up any straight in shot you want and I can use CTE to line up for it.

Any makeable shot on the pool table that can be drawn with the CueTable is a shot that I can use CTE according to the above directions to make.

Last thing,

Ghost Ball does not work. If you set up a Ghost Ball aim trainer on the perfect Ghost Ball position and direct someone to shoot EXACTLY over the ghost ball then most of the time the object ball will be thrown off course.

The shooter MUST make an adjustment for contact induced throw. So Ghost Ball is only a concept of aiming that is good on paper but requires a lot of practice to use reliably in real play.

Here is an experiment you can do yourself to see if it's better to use an imaginary sphere to aim or the balls that do exist.

Set up a straight in shot.

Use the Ghost Ball method to shoot it ten times.

Now use this method:

Make sure that both edges of the cue ball are dead in line with both edges of the object ball. Put your cue down in the center of those edges and shoot.

I bet you make the ball more times using method #2 than by using the Ghost Ball.

Now here is another little experiment you can do just for fun. Set up a shot with a shallow angle.

Line up so that you are facing the object ball as if you are going to hit square and straight on. Put your bridge hand down at the distance you normally would but aligned with the edge of the cue ball. Pivot into center with the tip and shoot. See if you make the object ball. You will see by the pivot if you are dead wrong or if you will be sending the object ball in the direction of the pocket.

This is not CTE. But it's fun to play with and see how many shots can be made this way. Surprisingly more than you would think. Mark the object ball position and move only the cueball.

The actual distance from the Center to Edge line and the Ghost Ball Line is very small. And where those two lines converge at the cueball it means that the actual pivot movement of the cue stick is very small because the divergence behind the cueball is very very small.

So the fact of it is that while the "pivot" is a big question mark when discussing these systems in reality it's a small thing and easily conquered with a little practice.

Using the Center to Edge line is only the way that the shooter orients themselves to the shot and the pivot is the small adjustment that brings them to the perfect (or perfect enough to pocket) aiming line. How to pivot, how much to pivot, where the bridge hand goes, all that becomes easy after a little practice.

To me it's much easier than trying to figure out how much to compensate for contact-induced-throw using Ghost Ball. I.e how much to the left or right of true center pocket I need to imagine my perfect 2.25" sphere in order to then aim my cueball at THAT instead of the actual object ball.

So anyway, CTE works for straight in shots. Why would you need it for a straight in shot? Why not if it works and you can use on all your other shots too?

Frankly......IMO....The only purpose for this post is to ask for an arguement......this could have easily been placed in the CTE is Silly thread...but you want to start a whole new 35 page thread to argue about aiming systems....and now you throw out a "Ghost Ball does not work" comment??????

You are also now claiming that CTE is the only aiming system that "adjusts" for CIT????? .......I did not know any aiming systems do that....and that is frankly making a VERY VERY tall claim.....that again....I doubt you will be able to prove.

That is simply asking for an arguement that you have already shown you can not win.......You have repeatedly said you won't discuss details of the CTE system because HAL told you not to...and that you can't describe the details in written word....You have pre-quailified the arguement to give yourself "outs".....This is plain redicoulous.

There has been enough "debate" over if CTE works or does not workd...and if the math behind it is correct.

For Hals sake man!!!!! just let it go.....

BTW......Ghost Ball does work.....If you think it does not.....Jimmy Crack Corn brother...:wink:

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Think John Barton started this thread about, "CTE works for straight in shots" as it was intened to be something POSITIVE ABOUT CTE, but per the norm on AZB the THREAD is High Jack by a non believer.

I believe in CTE for one reason, and one reason alone. I have spent a lot of time learning how to use CTE. It works, and the results are positive!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Ghost Ball does not work as diagrammed. I have yet to see a diagram that tells the shooter how to compensate for throw using the Ghost Ball system.

I used my laser cutter and made a perfect ghost ball template. It's dead nuts perfect.

If you use the template and have it perfectly aligned to the pocket, which I did with a chalk line, and then shoot the cueball straight into the "ghost ball" as shown clearly by the template then you will miss the shot often. The object ball diverges immediately from the center pocket line.

-------------------------------------

The point Joey is that you CAN use CTE for a straight in shot. So why would you?

As I said it's because you can also use CTE for every other shot directly to a pocket.

The hint that you missed, or maybe you didn't, is that once you figure out HOW to use CTE for a straight in shot then you can repeat those steps for angled shots.

I am not asking for argument. I am pointing out a fact. CTE works for straight in shots.

You can start with the Center to Edge line. Align your cue and pivot to center and be dead straight on the shot.

Move the cue ball three inches to the left and do the same thing and it works. Five inches, still works.

Enough information is out there for any person to learn CTE without the need for personal instruction. However it may take some digging to find the right information and those who aren't willing or able to do that just have to wait for the video.

I didn't post this in the other thread because I don't want it to be buried under the ever increasing amount of insults happening there.

CTE works for straight in shots. Try it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Imho

IMHO many can not grasp the concept of CTE because they can not visualize what I call the Equator Line that runs on the 9 O Clock to 3 O Clock access 360 DEGREES AROUND the O/B. JMHO.:wink:

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Think John Barton started this thread about, "CTE works for straight in shots" as it was intened to be something POSITIVE ABOUT CTE, but per the norm on AZB the THREAD is High Jack by a non believer.

I believe in CTE for one reason, and one reason alone. I have spent a lot of time learning how to use CTE. It works, and the results are positive!

This seems to have been directed at me....I did not "hijack" anything....I am not a "non-believer"

I think I have made it clear that CTE does work for people....Just as 3-line works for people, as does Ghost Ball methods....I happen to use a combination of Center to Center & 3-line.

Anything can be nit picked to say..."oh this does not work" or "that does not work"....or "I don't understand it so it must not work".

Cowboy...you can continue with your demented view of pool and life in general for all I care...99% of the time you are dead off track on things...Every once in a while you get lucky and do/say something right.....but man you are a strange character.....One of these days you horse is going to get fed up with you and buck your arse off.

Damn!!!....I can't wait until I get my table back together again so I don't have to spend so much time reading these stupid threads...LOL:)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

The point Joey is that you CAN use CTE for a straight in shot. So why would you?

On straight-in shots?
I wouldn't use CTE b/c I step to that imaginary line, which actually IS the true line. Middle of back foot on that line, bridge hand on that line, go down with the right pec ( Allison ? ) on that line, tip center to center of ob and pocket, grip on that line.
I have no clue why you say ghost ball doesn't work and it will throw the ob out of line.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member

I have to agree. If you have a straight in shot, center to center is the simplest, most accurate way to aim.

Steve

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
John:
Oy vey.

The ghost ball method doesn't dictate that you align the ghost ball and the object ball to the center of the pocket. You can align them to whatever cut angle you think the object ball should have, adjusted for throw or not.

Sorry to use you as an example, John, but I think misunderstanding this most simple thing about the most simple aiming method is probably typical of the visualization and logic difficulties that CTE users have in general.

pj
chgo

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Oy vey.

The ghost ball method doesn't dictate that you align the ghost ball and the object ball to the center of the pocket. You can align them to whatever cut angle you think the object ball should have, adjusted for throw or not.

Sorry to use you as an example, John, but I think misunderstanding this most simple thing about the most simple aiming method is probably typical of the visualization and logic difficulties that CTE users have in general.

pj
chgo

I understand it. I am speaking of the many diagrams out there illustrating the ghost ball principle which do not talk about adjusting for throw.

Which is why I said that Ghost Ball in it's basic description does not work. And in practice it's difficult to master BECAUSE one has to IMAGINE the PHANTOM ball at a spot that is OFF center pocket aiming line in order to GUESS the proper amount of offset in order to pocket the ball.

Next week you can get it on video where you debunk my understanding of everything related to aiming in pool. I will do my best to show you what I know and you can show me what you mean on the table. Then we can release our video to prove that the there can be peace even if all sides don't agree. :)

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have to agree. If you have a straight in shot, center to center is the simplest, most accurate way to aim.

Steve

Where is the center of the object ball? Or the center of the cueball?

When you say "most accurate" do you mean that it's more accurate than Ghost Ball, Joe Tucker's numbers, CTE, Parallel Edges?

Why is picking two "centers" that you can't truly see on two spheres easier than using the edges of those spheres to line up?

Get me there has already provided us with a chart which shows that if you are more than human hair's width off then you will miss the shot. So when you have a way to have twice the measuring with two lines drawn from concrete and visible edges is that not easier then trying to pick the centers of two spheres and then draw a line between them?

Just saying.

Jimmy Reid the former US OPEN Champion does not agree with you by the way that it's easy to aim the center of the cueball to the center of the object ball. He has a different method for shooting straight in shots which is the NUTS.

GetMeThere

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get me there has already provided us with a chart which shows that if you are more than human hair's width off then you will miss the shot.

Obviously, you haven't understood the tabular data I provided. That is one important source of your inability to discuss these issues in a meaningful and illuminating manner.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Where is the center of the object ball? Or the center of the cueball?

When you say "most accurate" do you mean that it's more accurate than Ghost Ball, Joe Tucker's numbers, CTE, Parallel Edges?

Why is picking two "centers" that you can't truly see on two spheres easier than using the edges of those spheres to line up?

Get me there has already provided us with a chart which shows that if you are more than human hair's width off then you will miss the shot. So when you have a way to have twice the measuring with two lines drawn from concrete and visible edges is that not easier then trying to pick the centers of two spheres and then draw a line between them?

Just saying.

Jimmy Reid the former US OPEN Champion does not agree with you by the way that it's easy to aim the center of the cueball to the center of the object ball. He has a different method for shooting straight in shots which is the NUTS.

For straight in shots...just aim the base of the CB (center axis) to the base of the OB (center axis)

IF you can not determine center axis on either ball....the system will not work for you.:smile: