A sad slide show/video for you....

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm working on a slide show/video somewhat like the one I did for the 1982 Dayton Open, Earl's first big win. This one uses images from the 1986 Clyde Childress Open and is purposely a bit sad. It struck me how many of the players from that 20 year ago tourney are no longer with us, a sad fact in itself. Also sad to me, looking back, were the run down places that served as venues for many tournaments, the small prizes, and the fact that many of the players were so often "down and out." I am trying to capture these feelings with the the slide show/video I'm working on, but you will be the judge of whether I succeed. I should have it on YouTube by tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: MFB

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Can't wait to see it. I Love watching Earl play. My Wifes Sister is in Love with him, everytime he is on TV she goes Nuts. She said she would do him every way from sunday on a pool table.LOL:eek: Hey I just figured out where my Mosconi tape may be.:p

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
I'm working on a slide show/video somewhat like the one I did for the 1982 Dayton Open, Earl's first big win (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu-4gKhaBzY). This one uses mostly images from the 1986 Clyde Childress Open and is purposely a bit sad. It struck me how many of the players from that 20 year ago tourney are no longer with us, a sad fact in itself. Also sad to me, looking back, were the run down places that served as venues for many tournaments, the small prizes, and the fact that many of the players were so often "down and out." I am trying to capture these feelings with the the slide show/video I'm working on, but you will be the judge of whether I succeed. I should have it on YouTube by tomorrow.

Sorry Bill. Do you have a more direct link. I checked the 1st 4 pages and found nothing about pool................mike

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bad link?

cueball1950 said:
Sorry Bill. Do you have a more direct link. I checked the 1st 4 pages and found nothing about pool................mike
Mike, I think YouTube may be running slow or funny right now. I checked the link and the first time, it took me to my account page. The next time, it loaded for me, but VERY slowly. Maybe just try again in a few minutes. Here's the link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu-4gKhaBzY

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Video Slides

Bill, I really enjoyed your first video. Can't wait to see your next one. I sent you a pm.
Tell Lou Z that Hal from Indy and the Railroad said I wish him a happy, healthy and long retirement.
Regards,
Hal now in Ohio

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
I am trying to capture these feelings with the the slide show/video I'm working on, but you will be the judge of whether I succeed.
Very nicely put together, Bill. And touching to boot. It struck me how wild 'n crazy the 60's, 70's and early 80's were. Perhaps it was the prevalence of booze and drugs, but the players seemed much more interesting. Today it's dullsville. Good players, little character. If you ever do photo shoots of contemporary events, it would be interesting to contrast the eras.

Doc

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bill. Real enjoyable...I forgot that everyone looked younger then!:eek:

Martin

BillPorter said:
Mike, I think YouTube may be running slow or funny right now. I checked the link and the first time, it took me to my account page. The next time, it loaded for me, but VERY slowly. Maybe just try again in a few minutes. Here's the link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu-4gKhaBzY

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
old days vs. new days

gulfportdoc said:
Very nicely put together, Bill. And touching to boot. It struck me how wild 'n crazy the 60's, 70's and early 80's were. Perhaps it was the prevalence of booze and drugs, but the players seemed much more interesting. Today it's dullsville. Good players, little character. If you ever do photo shoots of contemporary events, it would be interesting to contrast the eras.

Doc
Doc, I'm not so sure that today's players are as lacking in color and character as you suggest. We have a few young guns with a little personality, like Kid Delicious, and we still have some colorful old-timers around as well, like Keith M. But maybe the old days were a little wilder after all, we'll have to have Grady and Fred weigh in on that question.

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Great effort, Bill

BillPorter said:
Doc, I'm not so sure that today's players are as lacking in color and character as you suggest. We have a few young guns with a little personality, like Kid Delicious, and we still have some colorful old-timers around as well, like Keith M. But maybe the old days were a little wilder after all, we'll have to have Grady and Fred weigh in on that question.

As usual you put on a great show, Bill. I really miss some some of those guys. I'm in total agreement with Doc about the dullness and lack of flair from today's big guns. Maybe it was the drugs, maybe the booze or maybe the economics, but we didnt have 2 or 3 characters back then, we had maybe 50! Cornbread, Pancho, Jersey Red, Ronnie, Bugs, Cole, Keith, The Hat Burton, Peter Rabbit, Brooklyn Jimmie, Popcorn, Kilroy, Bunny Rogoff, Benny Conway, Omaha Fats, Minnesota Fats, St Louie Louie, Bugs, Ervolino, etc., etc., etc. Each guy worthy of his own sit-com. Plus, The Professor, and me too.

the Beard

Get your order in for a pre-pub copy of The GosPool, boys.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, and happy B'day!

freddy the beard said:
As usual you put on a great show, Bill. I really miss some some of those guys. I'm in total agreement with Doc about the dullness and lack of flair from today's big guns. Maybe it was the drugs, maybe the booze or maybe the economics, but we didnt have 2 or 3 characters back then, we had maybe 50! Cornbread, Pancho, Jersey Red, Ronnie, Bugs, Cole, Keith, The Hat Burton, Peter Rabbit, Brooklyn Jimmie, Popcorn, Kilroy, Bunny Rogoff, Benny Conway, Omaha Fats, Minnesota Fats, St Louie Louie, Bugs, Ervolino, etc., etc., etc. Each guy worthy of his own sit-com. Plus, The Professor, and me too.

the Beard

Get your order in for a pre-pub copy of The GosPool, boys.
Thanks, Freddy, and Happy Birthday!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was nice, thanks for putting it together. Do you have any pictures of Omaha Fats?

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:
Can't wait to see it. I Love watching Earl play. My Wifes Sister is in Love with him, everytime he is on TV she goes Nuts. She said she would do him every way from sunday on a pool table.LOL:eek: Hey I just figured out where my Mosconi tape may be.:p

I think I just threw up in my mouth....lol