Help with Very Soft tips

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks in advance for any help on this. Attached is a photo of a (supposedly) Very Soft tip. When I started to shape the tip with a new Lenox titanium blade, it made the sound of a trowel scraping across a brick!! As you will notice, it DID NOT ribbon like other tips. In fact, I would say it powdered. I store tips in a humidor to keep them from drying out. I only use Lenox blades to cut them down and shape. Did I get a mislabeled tip? Unfortunately, I've had this happen several times with this type of tip. Thanks for any suggestions. image.jpg

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you are hoping for something soft like an Elk Master in a layered tip. The Tiger Soft is the only one I know of that comes close. The soft, very soft and super soft labels put on most layered tips are there to compare to their own medium and hard tips and not to the single layered tips we all used to use.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are hoping for something soft like an Elk Master in a layered tip. The Tiger Soft is the only one I know of that comes close. The soft, very soft and super soft labels put on most layered tips are there to compare to their own medium and hard tips and not to the single layered tips we all used to use.

Thanks Chris. Your Mid Size lathe works just like new after 4 years! I learned early on a soft layered tip was soft for a week or two. Now I know that soft tips are relative. Looks like I'll just recommend Triangles for those, who like me, want a soft dull thud sound from the tip. They may not last as long as a layered tip, but I just hate the sound of a brick hitting a concrete wall (the sound a hard tip makes). Thanks again.

italbomber

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried adjust your speed (rpm) on your lathe? I use a brand new DeWalt carbide blade on soft tips and sometimes adjusting the speed makes a big difference.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried adjust your speed (rpm) on your lathe? I use a brand new DeWalt carbide blade on soft tips and sometimes adjusting the speed makes a big difference.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I only use SLOW speeds on a layered tip. Learned early on the higher speeds can melt the glue and basically make the tip worthless. The tip did not ribbon on cutting down to size of ferrule (I've learned that if the tip doesn't cut into ribbons, you most likely have a bad tip). I use Lenox titanium blades for all work on tips. When I tried to cut it off, I had to use a dead blow hammer to get through the leather. I'm 6'4" and 220; not a weakling. Using the hammer eliminates cut fingers if the blade slips on extremely hard leather.