Predator BK2 bumper thread

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the Predator BK2 bumper thread the same as the thread in older Predator playing cues that don't fit the Predator QR extension?

In other words, if there is a custom extension (not Predator) for which the bumper fits the BK2 - will it fit my Predator 5k4? :)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure, but the newer stuff is M16 x 1.5.

I know this is correct for the below as I 3D print adapters/extensions.

BUMP_PEQ2.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the Predator BK2 bumper thread the same as the thread in older Predator playing cues that don't fit the Predator QR extension?

In other words, if there is a custom extension (not Predator) for which the bumper fits the BK2 - will it fit my Predator 5k4? :)

I thought the older Predators just had a push in bumper. Easy eneogh fix.

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my Predator 5k4 thread, in the first two pictures.

In the third picture is a bumper and thread of a BK2.

In short, I found someone who is selling extensions that he says fit his BK2, but I don't want to buy it until I'm sure that it will fit my Predator 5k4 cue too.

Attachments

• 89550365_595940604324707_1664530076101771264_n.jpg
    89550365_595940604324707_1664530076101771264_n.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 295
  • 89519333_342883693319861_4285886025739272192_n.jpg
    89519333_342883693319861_4285886025739272192_n.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 89497972_635558323909449_7746555391915327488_n.jpg
    89497972_635558323909449_7746555391915327488_n.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 348

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there no way for you to measure it? If the diameter is 16mm, you'd be half way there. It does look like 1.5 per mm, but that's just by the pics. Do both fit?

Is the person selling it capable of making an adapter?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my Predator 5k4 thread, in the first two pictures.

In the third picture is a bumper and thread of a BK2.

In short, I found someone who is selling extensions that he says fit his BK2, but I don't want to buy it until I'm sure that it will fit my Predator 5k4 cue too.

I hear ya and I agree. I don't know the answer.

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there no way for you to measure it? If the diameter is 16mm, you'd be half way there. It does look like 1.5 per mm, but that's just by the pics. Do both fit?

Is the person selling it capable of making an adapter?

I can't measure it, and he can't make an adapter, he just sells the extensions.

I'm just sure that this thread is different from new Predator cues that can fit the QR adapter (listed in the picture).

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 263

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't measure it, and he can't make an adapter, he just sells the extensions.

I'm just sure that this thread is different from new Predator cues that can fit the QR adapter (listed in the picture).

Just e-mail Predator, but it sounds like no, it won't work.

If I'm reading you correctly and you are already sure the thread is different than the 2012+ models (the ones in the picture from the seller), then it shouldn't work.

That said, if you e-mail Predator and get the spec. for the old style thread, you could possibly have an adapter made by a 3D printing service, although you'd have to supply the drawing. Although possible, that's not a sure thing if the hole is smaller on the 5k4 than it is on the newer style. Now if the hole is bigger on the 5k4, you're in great shape. If it's smaller it's doable too, but wall strength of the printed part may become an issue (and I wouldn't attempt it without access to a printer for trial and error).

EDIT: After looking at your 5k4 picture closely, you can surely print that.

Last edited:

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just e-mail Predator, but it sounds like no, it won't work.

If I'm reading you correctly and you are already sure the thread is different than the 2012+ models (the ones in the picture from the seller), then it shouldn't work.

That said, if you e-mail Predator and get the spec. for the old style thread, you could possibly have an adapter made by a 3D printing service, although you'd have to supply the drawing. Although possible, that's not a sure thing if the hole is smaller on the 5k4 than it is on the newer style. Now if the hole is bigger on the 5k4, you're in great shape. If it's smaller it's doable too, but wall strength of the printed part may become an issue (and I wouldn't attempt it without access to a printer for trial and error).

EDIT: After looking at your 5k4 picture closely, you can surely print that.

Maybe you didn't understand me.

This dude is selling extensions that fit BK2, and I want to buy that extension, and QR2 by Predator DOESN'T fit BK2.

So I want just to know is BK2's bumper thread the same as in my Predator 5k4, if it is than I can use the extension that he is selling, which is different than QR2.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you didn't understand me.

This dude is selling extensions that fit BK2, and I want to buy that extension, and QR2 by Predator DOESN'T fit BK2.

So I want just to know is BK2's bumper thread the same as in my Predator 5k4, if it is than I can use the extension that he is selling, which is different than QR2.

Ahhh, so you're hoping the BK2 and 5k4 have identical threads. Well, since both predate the newer style according to my searches, I think things look good. You of course should e-mail them, but how many different threads could they of made in that ~5 year time period?

Also, maybe the seller sells adapters for both the old and newer style. About 2 or 3 years ago I bought a 12" CF extension off of e-bay were the seller had adapters for both. The extension was O.K., but the adapter wasn't. The adapter was just trash, but the extension was very good if you could over look the weight. I bought it because I was told that it was lighter than the official extension, and while that is factually true, it was only lighter by something like .25 ounces.

Here's a picture of the original on the left and clone on the right. What you don't see is how on the clone, the center whole is not center, and that threw off the alignment to a noticeable amount.

1CQqrM4.jpg

For me, considering the above problems, I gave up with off the shelf stuff and made a small dedicated 3D printer for a while to make these adapters and extensions. To be honest, it's so far the best thing I ever decided for myself and billiards as I wound up understanding a lot more about weight and its distribution over all by using the CAD/CAM programs and their simulations. I had zero applicable experience with CAD/CAM prior. Although I am a tinker type and ex-programmer (as much as you can be an "ex programmer"), it was still billiards that sparked my interest in it and now I use it for many things, which very rarely is billiards anymore.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you get an answer to this? I wanted to add the adapter to my little 3DP collection.

Predator gave me an ambiguous answer that doesn't make sense if your 5k4 is already threaded. Here is the answer...

Code:
The diameter is .57. 
The extension is .62, so there's room to thread it.

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I asked Predator and they said that BK2 and 5k4 have the same, old, weight bolt system.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I have to give up as well.

I know an adapter could be printed if the difference is only .05", but I'm surprised Predator isn't mentioning the threading. Are you sure there is atual threading and not just grooves to hold the bumper in? From the pictures it's kind of hard to tell if it's just grooves or grooves from threading.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you find out if that extension works? I'm looking for an extension for my 5K4.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was M16 x 1.5 after all. I printed 6" and 10" PLA extensions for that exact cue... they didn't mention it not fitting.

It's been over a year since I've been here and I was hoping more people started 3D printing cue parts (at least extensions and butts). With these extensions coming in at such little weight, I'm surprised it hasn't become a trend here. It's timely and a little costly to 3D print a 30" butt, but these 3D printed extensions are very sweet to print. 10" extensions come in under 3oz, 2oz if it's not going to be permanently attached.

Nyquil

Are these BK cues really worth the $$$? I found a pretty cheap 25oz rage cue (phenolic tip) on amazon I was eye balling on the cheap. These BK's seem to be pretty popular. Just curious.