im on my 4th aiming system in 1.5 years

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
started playing pool 1.5 years ago. only place i knew to find info was on you tube. found videos by a old hustler named little mike, out of las vegas. his system was called split the difference. started using it, and i liked it. but it didnt last too long, as i kept missing shots too often.

then i went to 90/90, thought it was the best system of all time. didnt last very long, keep missing shots.

then went to half ball hits, then to CTE, which i thought was it for me. been useing it for a while now. but i have to many problems finding the right angle, shifting the cue, just to much shifting for me.

i had seen shanes video on how he aims, using his shaft tip to aim on you tube. but it wasnt very informative. but some guy just put out a video after he had a seminiar with shane, and it was a very good explantaion of shaft aiming.

so for the last two nights, i have been trying to figure out this system. (i even ordered a laser from amazon, to help me find the excact contact point) very helpful.

so i have invested a total of 6 hours in two nights. figuring out all the angles and contact points on the cue ball, so i have made up my own little system in my mind.

AND IM NOT MISSING SHOTS!!!!!! IM MAKING SHOTS THAT WITH CTE WOULD HAVE BEEN RATTLERS IN THE POCKET. it is so simple thats its almost funny.

i will be sticking with this system, and fine tuning it even more. its working for me:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
right on, judo
isn't it fun when something clicks like that?
even if it doesn't last forever, I can't help but think
that all the work you're putting into your game
and all the experimenting you're doing
trying new things, looking at pool in different ways
will bear fruit
just because you're giving it a go
passion+experience breeds success
keep at it pal:thumbup:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Using shaft and lining it up to reference points on the ob is a great way to program your mind to just recognize the shots. Keep working and the results will pay off.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
started playing pool 1.5 years ago. only place i knew to find info was on you tube. found videos by a old hustler named little mike, out of las vegas. his system was called split the difference. started using it, and i liked it. but it didnt last too long, as i kept missing shots too often.

then i went to 90/90, thought it was the best system of all time. didnt last very long, keep missing shots.

then went to half ball hits, then to CTE, which i thought was it for me. been useing it for a while now. but i have to many problems finding the right angle, shifting the cue, just to much shifting for me.

i had seen shanes video on how he aims, using his shaft tip to aim on you tube. but it wasnt very informative. but some guy just put out a video after he had a seminiar with shane, and it was a very good explantaion of shaft aiming.

so for the last two nights, i have been trying to figure out this system. (i even ordered a laser from amazon, to help me find the excact contact point) very helpful.

so i have invested a total of 6 hours in two nights. figuring out all the angles and contact points on the cue ball, so i have made up my own little system in my mind.

AND IM NOT MISSING SHOTS!!!!!! IM MAKING SHOTS THAT WITH CTE WOULD HAVE BEEN RATTLERS IN THE POCKET. it is so simple thats its almost funny.

i will be sticking with this system, and fine tuning it even more. its working for me:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I was taught Pro1/CTE by Tyler Styer, it works great for me........most of the time. There are some nights where shots are just a little off and wont go, Im sure its a visual or alignment thing that I suffer from. Shanes aiming "system" sounds interesting, do you happen to have a link please??? Keep up the hard work, its great when you can see it make a difference at the table.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i had seen shanes video on how he aims, using his shaft tip to aim
I like two things about shaft aiming very much:

1. If you align the middle and edges of the shaft with the OB's quarters, the number of system-defined cut angles is higher than other "reference angle" systems - in-betweeners are minimized.

2. Most importantly: paying close attention to exactly where your stick/stroke is aimed through the CB at the OB is a key ingredient for any successful aiming method - I think the only essential one.

pj
chgo

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Aiming System are like Cowboy Boots, some feel good on your feet, others give you blisters, pinch toes. I find the "LAST" Neconas Brand uses, ( foot mold ) my feet like best.

Find a System, Cue or Chalk you like, you feel comfortable using, and everything is pain free.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried them all but none hold up 100% of the time. I don’t trust a lot of these gimmicks when the pressure is on. I returned to visualization where before I get down to shoot I see the object ball tumbling end over end on straight in shots or spinning on its axis on cut shots. I then get down and shoot continuing to visualize until the ball is in the pocket. I do it on banks and crossing shots.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried them all but none hold up 100% of the time. I don’t trust a lot of these gimmicks when the pressure is on. I returned to visualization where before I get down to shoot I see the object ball tumbling end over end on straight in shots or spinning on its axis on cut shots. I then get down and shoot continuing to visualize until the ball is in the pocket. I do it on banks and crossing shots.

One thing not discussed in these method/aiming threads is the art of the shark and how it plugs in to a score for instance. The more complex a lattice of references you rely on, the more to go wrong in your head. Some of these systems, you never learn WTF you're shooting in the first place. What happens when you gotta dig deep and there's nothing there? Gotta wonder.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I've also incorporated the carom aim/feel into all my shots. A simple way to think of this. On a 14.1 break shot that has the break ball close to the rack, I visualize where the carom of the cue ball will go into the stack and put that into my walk up to the shot process. Basically your aiming for the pocket, and your aiming for the feel of the carom angle. If one feels wrong, get off the shot and walk up to the shot cutting it a little thinner or thicker. For me this is very useful on extreme cut shots in all games. I visualize the rail contact point and the obj. ball contact point as ONE. If it feels right I'll then pull the trigger. Getting the feel of the carom angle off the ball I've found is as important as making a ball. Great cue ball control off a carom, combined with a Great safety Often win more matches than great shooting.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member

Based on some of the “how to” replies that get posted, I often wonder if they have played the same pool games as me.

Like the “the tip is pointed at the OB”..........which can’t happen on a kick shot, nor a rail first shot or shooting jacked up over a ball where the cue tip is actually pointing down into the table.

There is one method that works for all shots.....visualizing the CB path. There is no shot that this does not work on. But unless you are willing to put in table time, which seems not to be important to most, you’ll never get good at it.

Ps.......the cue tip is never pointed at the OB, but where the CB is going....think about it.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've also incorporated the carom aim/feel into all my shots. A simple way to think of this. On a 14.1 break shot that has the break ball close to the rack, I visualize where the carom of the cue ball will go into the stack and put that into my walk up to the shot process. Basically your aiming for the pocket, and your aiming for the feel of the carom angle. If one feels wrong, get off the shot and walk up to the shot cutting it a little thinner or thicker. For me this is very useful on extreme cut shots in all games. I visualize the rail contact point and the obj. ball contact point as ONE. If it feels right I'll then pull the trigger. Getting the feel of the carom angle off the ball I've found is as important as making a ball. Great cue ball control off a carom, combined with a Great safety Often win more matches than great shooting.

I started using carom aiming when I realized it consolidated everything about the shot; shot angle, exit direction, speed. It allowed me to look at what I was actually shooting. These days when I have time to go tune it up, I use a couple of point to point techniques to biangulate the shot. I can then see the ghost ball in its correct position and proportion. What I then shoot is the carom.

Last edited:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member

Friend showed me a great drill on predicting where the CB will go after contacting OB.

Set up a simple cut shot where the OB is bout 6 inches from a corner pocket.

Place a ball on the rail where you think the CB will go after pocketing the OB.

Then do the shot and see if you hit the ball that is on the rail with the CB.

If you are putting spin on the ball, do the same thing. Place a OB on the rail, do the cut shot and see if the CB hits the ball on the rail with the spin put on the CB.

Then add going 2 rails after contacting the OB....

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Friend showed me a great drill on predicting where the CB will go after contacting OB.

Set up a simple cut shot where the OB is bout 6 inches from a corner pocket.

Place a ball on the rail where you think the CB will go after pocketing the OB.

Then do the shot and see if you hit the ball that is on the rail with the CB.

If you are putting spin on the ball, do the same thing. Place a OB on the rail, do the cut shot and see if the CB hits the ball on the rail with the spin put on the CB.

Then add going 2 rails after contacting the OB....
Search for "wagon wheel drill".

pj
chgo

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’m trying to decipher the carom aim/feel in this post. Can you break it down further. I think I get it but am no quite sure. Thanks.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I’m trying to decipher the carom aim/feel in this post. Can you break it down further. I think I get it but am no quite sure. Thanks.

Envision where the cue ball will travel after it strikes the obj. ball. Walk up to the shot, and aim at the carom contact point coming off the ball your pocketing. You could set up a bunch of balls along the foot, rail set up a cut shot, and see if it strikes the ball you feel it will if the ball goes. The carom feel comes from hours and years of play. Be like me telling you how to draw a ball 24'' and then how to draw it 40''. Practice and more practice.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Envision where the cue ball will travel after it strikes the obj. ball. Walk up to the shot, and aim at the carom contact point coming off the ball your pocketing. You could set up a bunch of balls along the foot, rail set up a cut shot, and see if it strikes the ball you feel it will if the ball goes. The carom feel comes from hours and years of play. Be like me telling you how to draw a ball 24'' and then how to draw it 40''. Practice and more practice.

Like Bill says here. It's a feel thing.

The way I handle it mentally is, after getting down on the shot, I feel like I'm PUSHING the cue ball OFF of the OB. I feel this in my warm up strokes and my cue delivery.

Just think " I want to push the cue ball off of the OB ball." You have to feel it in your grip hand and cue delivery.

Once you get a feel for it, position play will come a lot easier.

John

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like Bill says here. It's a feel thing.

The way I handle it mentally is, after getting down on the shot, I feel like I'm PUSHING the cue ball OFF of the OB. I feel this in my warm up strokes and my cue delivery.

Just think " I want to push the cue ball off of the OB ball." You have to feel it in your grip hand and cue delivery.

Once you get a feel for it, position play will come a lot easier.

John

I tried both the carom method mentioned earlier in this section and your “ push the cueball” in a practice session I had today. I understand both concepts better and both have their application.

Last edited: