Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, posting here just to type at something.

625, 626, 768

Anybody noe summoer numbers? I have a problem not G(ing) AF. Actually the problem is articulating that sentiment into a paragraph or two. Let's see,

1) I sincerely find it admirable that JS, DH, anybody else for that matter can pocket balls in numbers beyond my counting ability.

2) That ventured, records be they personal accomplishment or otherwise tell nothing of the quality of accomplishment; one of my peeves about the genre. I think the aesthetics of a solo straight pool run, that is with no one waiting in the chair, is everything. Was it sloppy? Crude? Elegant? 50% elegant? As far as I can tell there is only a number to indicate it even was.

3) rinse, repeat...

Oh schitt I dogged it. There will be other attempts...

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marc lots of differences. Yes the players of today are great for sure. If the guys of today played on the equipment from 80 years ago especially the clay mud balls and cloth that didn't move the cue ball around very easily Mosconi would heist most of todays players at 14.1 any other games the players of today would have a decent change of beating the shit out of Willie at other games but Willie would never give up ever for sure. A great comment recently said by Sigel was after hearing Schmidt ran over 600 he said wow that's a lot of balls. After hearing only that John was playing on 760 Simonis he said well that makes a big difference and if Mosconi was in his prime and had 760 simonis he might have ran 2000. That goes to say also not counting all the other non standard advantages John made possibly in his so called run. Also to note it has been said John didn't have the first 200 balls of his run on video. Any people that see the video have to sign a (NDA) non disclosure agreement and if they talk about the video John can sue them for a million dollars. WOWZERS>>>>>

Putting the player and equipment comparison aside, I'm :shocked2: to know that anyone would sign such an agreement to the tune of $1,000,000.

I always thought when someone said "pool nuts" that it was just a phrase, nothing more. Well, now it's been confirmed, there are players that are actually "completely nuts".

My hat is off to John. Not so much for the run anymore, no...it's due to the fact that he actually got people to sign the NDA for a million dollars. He would make a great salesman.

Did you see my post about me checking on the cost for my wife and I flying out to see John's vid? Well, for the round trip tickets, rental cars, hotel room, eats, some pocket change and let's not for the $50 each to see the vid, it was a little over $1,500.

I checked several places and $1,500 was the cheapest by $300 with one place being over 2k and a couple more being $1,800ish.

Jeff:rolleyes: and then:rotflmao:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
they aren't even trying

If we are going to compare here are my thoughts :

Mosconi may have been a better 14.1 player than Sdmidt, Yes. Going by many who have seen Mosconi play the 14.1 game it is likely he was.

But I think Sdmidt probably the better all around player.

And if Schdmith doesnt play any games better than Mosconi did (I think Schdidt is at least better at One Pocket), there are plenty of guys in todays game that are definitely better than Mosconi. When it comes to 9-Ball and 10-Ball there are many, no question, but also talking 14.1 I think there are at least 10-12 superstars of today and even some from the 90's that could definitely play the game at a higher level than Mosconi.

Shaw, Filler, Pagulayan, Orcullo, SVB are 5 of the very best today who I have no doubt would beat Mosconi playing any game. (Specially the last 3 I mentioned who are some of the best all around champions that have ever lived.)

Let's not forget Mosconi won the majority of his "World" titles playing mostly against american players and most the times a challenge match against 1 player was all it would take to claim the "World title".

I understand regardless of this, Mosconi could really play exceptionally well and super consistent with high runs, and no one could really beat him in tournament nor long exhibition matches (in the long run), but Ive seen him lose his mind too. Ive seen his attitude when things dont go his way. And how easily it seemed to be at times to throw him off his game.

I never see this from Bustamante or Reyes in their prime, nor the top taiwanese players
Top europeans could rattle a little, but the very best at 14.1, who all happen to come from Germany are in my opinion at Mosconi's level in 14.1. Specifically Engert who's had runs that pass 99% of all others (or so I've heard) and that for the longest time held the official 491 run on a 9-foot table (the highest official record on a 9-foot table, yet because he was not lucky to be born in the land where 14.1 was created, it has been overlooked for I dont know how long.

I wonder who would be holding world championships if all those had a 50% american pro 14.1 players and 50% german players in the field and they were played equally split in between the USA and Germany

It puzzles me when someone says "you can't compare different times" I think you can.
However, what is hard to figure out is how well Mosconi woulda gotten if he woulda faced today's competition. I'm sure it woulda made him even better than he was

But let's be real: Mosconi's shot making could not compare with the biggest names in the game shot making of today. Not close!
I bet on that.

Cue ball control this Yes, I understand Mosconi's biggest weapon was a great cue ball, hence why he was so strong.

But let's keep going down the list: speed, mental toughness, and I'm sure there are other factors,what else there is?

How many out of all the package that makes a champion was Mosconi better at than the top players of today?
Not too many.. Mental toughness for instance: not close.
Guys like Shane, Bustamante, Orcullo, Filler are super strong mentally!

I think all of these could play the 14.1 game better than anyone in history and I think it would come easy for them. Easier than Mosconi (who dedicated his whole life to the 14.1 game)

Reyes himself, would absolutely break records and beat just about anyone of any time in history playing pretty much any game.

Just his safety play, kicking, shotmaking (something that is not his fortee now but how quick we forgotten he was a hell of a shot maker, yet the big guns today are BETTER SHOT MAKERS THAN HE EVER WAS), speed control, MENTAL TOUGHNESS (a huge quality), desire to win, knowing how to win

Reyes would have driven Mosconi cuckoo in my opinion.

I played Orcollo 14.1 in a tournament in Jacksonville, FL many years ago
it was the first time he had ever played
he did not know the rules or anything
he didn't know how to setup a break shot

I mean clueless!

Ran 90-out on me dissecting the rack every rack never blasting the rack only chirping a few balls and then kept on re-breaking

That night Immonen taught him just the basics on what the best break shots are

I re-drew Orcollo next day in the last16 Single elimination 150-point games
He ran 147-out like water and 1-stroking every shot.

Lee Van Corteza truly never played the game before until he gave it a go one year at DCC ends up with that year's highest ran 226 I think it was

Please someone tell me what Mosconi did better than the champions of today?

Ortmann was really young player when he came to the US and won the the World 14.1 beating Mizerak in the finals, I think Ortmann was 22
It didnt look like the US players were that great to begin playing the 14.1 when such an inexperienced young german can come to the US and win it all at such a young age.
Similar level players that Mosconi beat for 2 decades
But hey that is not exactly beating the world

Not to take anything away from Mosconi's wins ..
I mean this applies to 9-ball too.

Many of the 80's and 90's world 9-ball champions were great players, they had to be, but often times they didnt really beat the world (meaning every champion of every nation) to be crowned world champions

Many champions of those times will tell you that winning the world titles or the US Opens today are much tougher than it was a few decades ago.

This is why I think SVB is one of the greatest and he is one of the greatest all around players including 14.1 as little as he knows and as little experience he has playing the game.

Does anyone realize how good the guys of today are?

I havent even mentioned the taiwanese here.
I know they dont play 14.1
but what if they did?

What does Mosconi could possibly have over these machines that out shoot him CLEARLY 2-1, to start?

What did Mosconi do better than the taiwanese champs of today? on a pool table I mean! Think all aspects of the game!

Now: true: bring Mosconi back today and make him play Ko Pin Yi 14.1 a long enough game and Mosconi would win.

But would happened if Ko Pin Yi played, practiced and competed only 14.1 for a year or two? Who would be favorite?

Not only do I think the big stars of today would become better players than the old 14.1 champs, but the few known official records would get beaten FOR SURE!

Why? Simple: there is nothing on a pool table that neither John Schdmit nor Willie Mosconi could do better than the asian, european champions nor SVB

I even think, as crazy as this may sound to some, that american top players in the 90's like Rempe, Varner, Strickland and also the super mentally strong Archer could play the game every bit as good as Willie Mosconi did.
Just the mental part alone, some champions who came after Mosconi, were much stronger mentally in my opinion

Joshua Filler may just be one of the very best in history. Playing all games! And he is not even 23 yet I don't think

Let this man play 14.1 exclusively, and make the tournaments what they were sometimes in Willie's time, including some big blocks of 1000-point games and such.
Filler may dominate the players of today, who in comparison I think they are better than all the champions from Willie's time and beyond

Please, I know I have little to compare.. there is very little footage of prime Mosconi, but there is enough for me to see just watching 10 minutes of the man playing, that there are more than a few guys today that can play the 14.1 game equally good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of all the people you named, not one plays shape as well as Willie once did before his health issues. In truth, like me before I watched a young healthy Willie on video, they aren't even trying to. Pick a game, any game, and take ball in hand after every shot. That was the level of advantage Mr Mosconi had on a good day!

Hu

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "NDA" is a sign how well people read threads and how easy it is to start all kinds of the wildest conspiracy theories. Several people have mentioned that the whole NDA bullshit has been brought up in another thread by a joker. But now it is being used over and over to discredit JS' run.

I got a new one for you: John Schmidt tells anyone criticizing his run after watching his video to send the Russian Mafia and get him killed. Yeah, let's see if that one gets picked up until next year, next old thread ....

It would be nice if the "critics" would at least read the threads before they spread total garbage.

April Fools' Day daily here in this thread ...

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Marc lots of differences. Yes the players of today are great for sure. If the guys of today played on the equipment from 80 years ago especially the clay mud balls and cloth that didn't move the cue ball around very easily Mosconi would heist most of todays players at 14.1 any other games the players of today would have a decent change of beating the shit out of Willie at other games but Willie would never give up ever for sure. A great comment recently said by Sigel was after hearing Schmidt ran over 600 he said wow that's a lot of balls. After hearing only that John was playing on 760 Simonis he said well that makes a big difference and if Mosconi was in his prime and had 760 simonis he might have ran 2000. That goes to say also not counting all the other non standard advantages John made possibly in his so called run. Also to note it has been said John didn't have the first 200 balls of his run on video. Any people that see the video have to sign a (NDA) non disclosure agreement and if they talk about the video John can sue them for a million dollars. WOWZERS>>>>>
Again with the NDA? You 3 have become a parady of yourselves.

There was no NDA.

The incessant "break rules" is also persistent non-relevent nonsense. Mosconi's run was the last 150 of a 200 point match so it obviously didn't start with an opening break.

Sent from the future.

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am from germany and 30 years ago ive played in the same division with engert and some other good straight pool players .
i would say i know something about the history of straight pool .
ive seen some of schmidts 400s , everything fine with it
big pockets like in the ol days .
fast cloth , not my preference , but ok .
comparing 860 to 760 , to me 860 is easier to play .
heated/sanded slate i dont know .
i would choose mosconis table for a record attempt .
and i dont believe that sigel made a statement like on 760 mosconi 2000 balls .

by the way ....who is danny harriman ???

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO his (and Mosconi's) fast'nloose, free-wheeling style is why he can run 400+ balls, what, 7 times? And why your slowish, methodical style will only occasionally render a 300+ run (once or twice?).....despite you being one of the best, most knowledgable 14.1 players on the planet :rolleyes:.

I disagree.

In Mosconi's case, he was just ungodly talented. He shot fast because his depth of talent allowed him to do so.

In JS case, he shoots quickly because, more often than not, he is shooting under conditions (like frequently polishing the balls) where the balls open *way* up. With the balls spread *wide* open every rack it's easier to just plink away.

Now, if were talking about normal conditions, with the balls opening less and less as the run conditions change and become tougher, then I'm betting on DH because his more studious, measured style is perfect for working the rack and the balls when the going gets tough.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If we are going to compare here are my thoughts :

Mosconi may have been a better 14.1 player than Sdmidt, Yes. Going by many who have seen Mosconi play the 14.1 game it is likely he was.

But I think Sdmidt probably the better all around player.

And if Schdmith doesnt play any games better than Mosconi did (I think Schdidt is at least better at One Pocket), there are plenty of guys in todays game that are definitely better than Mosconi. When it comes to 9-Ball and 10-Ball there are many, no question, but also talking 14.1 I think there are at least 10-12 superstars of today and even some from the 90's that could definitely play the game at a higher level than Mosconi.

Shaw, Filler, Pagulayan, Orcullo, SVB are 5 of the very best today who I have no doubt would beat Mosconi playing any game. (Specially the last 3 I mentioned who are some of the best all around champions that have ever lived.)

Let's not forget Mosconi won the majority of his "World" titles playing mostly against american players and most the times a challenge match against 1 player was all it would take to claim the "World title".

I understand regardless of this, Mosconi could really play exceptionally well and super consistent with high runs, and no one could really beat him in tournament nor long exhibition matches (in the long run), but Ive seen him lose his mind too. Ive seen his attitude when things dont go his way. And how easily it seemed to be at times to throw him off his game.

I never see this from Bustamante or Reyes in their prime, nor the top taiwanese players
Top europeans could rattle a little, but the very best at 14.1, who all happen to come from Germany are in my opinion at Mosconi's level in 14.1. Specifically Engert who's had runs that pass 99% of all others (or so I've heard) and that for the longest time held the official 491 run on a 9-foot table (the highest official record on a 9-foot table, yet because he was not lucky to be born in the land where 14.1 was created, it has been overlooked for I dont know how long.

I wonder who would be holding world championships if all those had a 50% american pro 14.1 players and 50% german players in the field and they were played equally split in between the USA and Germany

It puzzles me when someone says "you can't compare different times" I think you can.
However, what is hard to figure out is how well Mosconi woulda gotten if he woulda faced today's competition. I'm sure it woulda made him even better than he was

But let's be real: Mosconi's shot making could not compare with the biggest names in the game shot making of today. Not close!
I bet on that.

Cue ball control this Yes, I understand Mosconi's biggest weapon was a great cue ball, hence why he was so strong.

But let's keep going down the list: speed, mental toughness, and I'm sure there are other factors,what else there is?

How many out of all the package that makes a champion was Mosconi better at than the top players of today?
Not too many.. Mental toughness for instance: not close.
Guys like Shane, Bustamante, Orcullo, Filler are super strong mentally!

I think all of these could play the 14.1 game better than anyone in history and I think it would come easy for them. Easier than Mosconi (who dedicated his whole life to the 14.1 game)

Reyes himself, would absolutely break records and beat just about anyone of any time in history playing pretty much any game.

Just his safety play, kicking, shotmaking (something that is not his fortee now but how quick we forgotten he was a hell of a shot maker, yet the big guns today are BETTER SHOT MAKERS THAN HE EVER WAS), speed control, MENTAL TOUGHNESS (a huge quality), desire to win, knowing how to win

Reyes would have driven Mosconi cuckoo in my opinion.

I played Orcollo 14.1 in a tournament in Jacksonville, FL many years ago
it was the first time he had ever played
he did not know the rules or anything
he didn't know how to setup a break shot

I mean clueless!

Ran 90-out on me dissecting the rack every rack never blasting the rack only chirping a few balls and then kept on re-breaking

That night Immonen taught him just the basics on what the best break shots are

I re-drew Orcollo next day in the last16 Single elimination 150-point games
He ran 147-out like water and 1-stroking every shot.

Lee Van Corteza truly never played the game before until he gave it a go one year at DCC ends up with that year's highest ran 226 I think it was

Please someone tell me what Mosconi did better than the champions of today?

Ortmann was really young player when he came to the US and won the the World 14.1 beating Mizerak in the finals, I think Ortmann was 22
It didnt look like the US players were that great to begin playing the 14.1 when such an inexperienced young german can come to the US and win it all at such a young age.
Similar level players that Mosconi beat for 2 decades
But hey that is not exactly beating the world

Not to take anything away from Mosconi's wins ..
I mean this applies to 9-ball too.

Many of the 80's and 90's world 9-ball champions were great players, they had to be, but often times they didnt really beat the world (meaning every champion of every nation) to be crowned world champions

Many champions of those times will tell you that winning the world titles or the US Opens today are much tougher than it was a few decades ago.

This is why I think SVB is one of the greatest and he is one of the greatest all around players including 14.1 as little as he knows and as little experience he has playing the game.

Does anyone realize how good the guys of today are?

I havent even mentioned the taiwanese here.
I know they dont play 14.1
but what if they did?

What does Mosconi could possibly have over these machines that out shoot him CLEARLY 2-1, to start?

What did Mosconi do better than the taiwanese champs of today? on a pool table I mean! Think all aspects of the game!

Now: true: bring Mosconi back today and make him play Ko Pin Yi 14.1 a long enough game and Mosconi would win.

But would happened if Ko Pin Yi played, practiced and competed only 14.1 for a year or two? Who would be favorite?

Not only do I think the big stars of today would become better players than the old 14.1 champs, but the few known official records would get beaten FOR SURE!

Why? Simple: there is nothing on a pool table that neither John Schdmit nor Willie Mosconi could do better than the asian, european champions nor SVB

I even think, as crazy as this may sound to some, that american top players in the 90's like Rempe, Varner, Strickland and also the super mentally strong Archer could play the game every bit as good as Willie Mosconi did.
Just the mental part alone, some champions who came after Mosconi, were much stronger mentally in my opinion

Joshua Filler may just be one of the very best in history. Playing all games! And he is not even 23 yet I don't think

Let this man play 14.1 exclusively, and make the tournaments what they were sometimes in Willie's time, including some big blocks of 1000-point games and such.
Filler may dominate the players of today, who in comparison I think they are better than all the champions from Willie's time and beyond

Please, I know I have little to compare.. there is very little footage of prime Mosconi, but there is enough for me to see just watching 10 minutes of the man playing, that there are more than a few guys today that can play the 14.1 game equally good

Not a one is a better 14.1 player than Mosconi.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am from germany and 30 years ago ive played in the same division with engert and some other good straight pool players .
i would say i know something about the history of straight pool .
ive seen some of schmidts 400s , everything fine with it
big pockets like in the ol days .
fast cloth , not my preference , but ok .
comparing 860 to 760 , to me 860 is easier to play .
heated/sanded slate i dont know .
i would choose mosconis table for a record attempt .
and i dont believe that sigel made a statement like on 760 mosconi 2000 balls .

by the way ....who is danny harriman ???

DH is a top US 14.1 player.

There's a video out there of him running over 300 balls on a 4 1/2" x 9" GC in which he is basically shooting at five v six pockets because one of the up table corner pockets isn't set up right, so he shoots around it as much as he can.

Lou Figueroa

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There's a video out there of him running over 300 balls on a 4 1/2" x 9" GC in which he is basically shooting at five v six pockets because one of the up table corner pockets isn't set up right, so he shoots around it as much as he can.

Lou Figueroa

Does Danny even play pool anymore? The last cash he had recorded on this site was 9th in world 14.1 2015.

Even though he blocked me, Danny has a beautiful stroke. I could watch him play all day long.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
That's a really small table. Does it use marbles?

Sent from the future.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a brief review of the video from the Santa Barbara showing last night. Stolen from FleeceBook:

CropperCapture[462].png

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marc.
You should have spent more time thinking about your post. You wouldnt have typed most of it.

Mosconi did play against the greatest players of his time. They were Americans.

Mosconi could play all games.

Mosconi is said to have had the fierce drive to be the best that he would have conquered new challenges.

Todays champions are true champions who posses great skill and knowledge,which allow many to excel at all games. Willie would be up to the task.

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Marc.

You should have spent more time thinking about your post. You wouldnt have typed most of it.

Mosconi did play against the greatest players of his time. They were Americans.

Mosconi could play all games.

Mosconi is said to have had the fierce drive to be the best that he would have conquered new challenges.

Todays champions are true champions who posses great skill and knowledge,which allow many to excel at all games. Willie would be up to the task.

Yes
my opinion is free though... keep that in mind.

I'm not afraid of being wrong neither and well aware I could be in some my statements

I have never seen Mosconi playing live, much less in his prime. So that alone should give leas credibility to my assessments, I'm aware of this.

But it is easy to deduce that he wasn't as strong a shot maker as the champions today.

Lassiter was known to be amazing in this part of the game, so maybe he was up to par in this department with the current champions. But I know Mosconi wasn't

Now, this does not mean he didn't play better 14.1 than most or all champions of today. I can understand this.
And I can understand that maybe he did play better than them all

It is very clear that Reyes, for instance, was never as good playing 14.1 than Mosconi was. FACT.

but, my opinion is that Reyes could have been.

In my post there are a lot of "ifs" and "could have beens"

My point is that shot making goes a long way, in all pool games!

And my opinion stands that I think Mosconi (technically) patterns, speed, kicking, safety play, shotmaking, cue ball control, mental toughness
did not excel in all these over the today champions, and that if anything, the champions and legends of today could do many of all this aspects of the game better than him.

The reason why I think this is because I know that the champions of today would beat Mosconi in all other games but 14.1. I think this is a fact.

And the reason why this is a fact is why I think that if these champions of today were to dedicated themselves to play 14.1 they would also be of equal or better skill than Mosconi was

No reason why not

In comparing all these one must ask why a player like Mosconi was a better player (over all) why was he better?
And you can only answer this by thinking of how good he was in every aspect of pool playing (not just 14.1 game)

As strong as you think Mosconi was mentally
I dont think it compares with Reyes mental toughness
Not close, in my opinion
Concentration, not close neither

I mean, its very easy for people to say "Marc you're wrong Mosconi was better"
but they have little to explain on why

Like I said: what did Mosconi did in the pool table better than Reyes
Not too many things if any, in my opinion in most departments Reyes is an overall better pool player

OldOrvis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does Danny even play pool anymore? The last cash he had recorded on this site was 9th in world 14.1 2015.

Even though he blocked me, Danny has a beautiful stroke. I could watch him play all day long.

He plays I hit balls with him recently and hes hitting them reeeeaaaalll good....we played on a 5x10 and he made every ball he shot at lol

and as for Johns record.....its great he did it, but I played golf at a high level (nationwide tour) and this would be like me shortening the course and making the hole bigger and saying I broke the course record. Sounds great but not the same thing lol

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
debri from nother word twister

Maybe the big problem here is just a translation issue. If just over 8 months constitutes a year in your world how does 626 translate in the real world? Maybe our 626 is more like 880 your world. Damn. I with you, I want I see the video!!

I said almost a year. Yer not with me - in my world - i don't need to twist words to make my story sound better - as in yer's. Capiche?

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
no wrong again

Well, then.. Seems as if Danny needs to shell out his money and go to one of John's viewings, if he is really that concerned about the legitimacy of the run.

If he doesn't wish to do so, then it's really not all that important to him, and it's just about tearing down John. (Which is what it is actually about.)

This is not about tearing john down or bca or any other fake news org, they chose to associate their claim in the same conversation as Mosconi's official 526 - so again for people such as russ - (slow learners) i would have held any other top 14.1 player to the same accountability had they tried to compare a customized/altered record to that of Mosconi's Legit Sports History record - on the 8 foot table. I remembered reading some of yer past posts - ur consistent in that yer usually wrong. So u will have to do better than that - but I would imagine a c level player is giving yer game an accurate tout. This is not about comparing my game - to anyone else either, this is about sports history preservation and preventing political parties from stealing sports history records - if u can't understand the way this has been marketed is a fake news disaster - then there u are - and u should wake up from being a puppet of the drive by media.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.