Earl Strickland Crazy Interview

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard the he got lucky spiel from just about every type of pool player after a tough loss. Great, good or bad it doesn't matter. For a certain type of psyche it is what they need to feed themselves in order to keep their ego in line. The ego is necessary to play your best pool, not just talking about the overused derogatory meaning of the word. Pool is the ultimate game of self.

I will not pretend to know anything about the condition of Earl's psyche or whether or not he is clinically bipolar. His behavior, in the end, is only detrimental to himself. Just the fact that he was corrected for saying timeout instead of extension he could not get over. Most people would just say my bad and then ask for an extension. He later in the match was defiant in his use of the term timeout because he just couldn't let it go. He dogged that easy six because he was not even thinking about actually making it. His conscious mind was still distracted by what should have been a completely innocuous exchange. I'm not bashing him, I love what he does with the balls. His antics used to wear on me but then I realized they really mean nothing to me. The only one they mean anything to, really, is Earl himself.

ronlovespool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear ya Pacecare.

Earl has been playing pool practically all his life. He knows darn well the word is "extension" and not "timeout."
The man knows something about sport, and so his method of using the incorrect word is nothing more than upsetting the system as only Earl likes to do.

Earl always needs an excuse to explain away his mistakes, shortcomings, losses, and "bad days."
It appears at the surface that he sabotages the situation to make himself the victim.

One good example: remember when Earl called the 2-ball against Jayson Shaw and it was VERY obvious that it was the 10-ball he was shooting?
Earl is so passive-aggressive it's mind-blowing. In the same breadth, he claims his opponents are so "fortunate and lucky" to have beaten him, and then offers these little injections that his opponents are "good players (but not great)." P
Why not just simply say an opponent "played well" and leave it at?

What a poor example of sportsmanship.
The female interviewer was quite "charmed" with Earl's complaining.
You can see how he used this as an invitation to just keep going with his slights, nonsense, and overall complaining.

Earl is a fool, and that's being very polite.

I sure as hell can't wait until he retires.

I think he says time out because that’s what they called the extension in the Bonus Ball game.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
No matter what Earl says, you cannot claim that his opinion is unjust, due to lack of experience.

This interview is just another opportunity for the Earl-Bashers, that have been around since the 80s.

Zapper,

Think it is time you separated Earl the person from Earl the player. Earl the player is still dynamite to watch. Even in his twilight years, he still plays a level above me and the greatest percentage of players. I've played him several times over the years and found him to be disrespectful to me and the spectators. JMHO.

Now as a person, it's a whole different game. Is it all just a show? Is he certifiable? What is the real story? Perhaps once he has passed, the next generation will find the truth. Till then, all bets are off! Incidentally, each time we've spoken, other than at the table, found Earl to be thoughtful and obviously very intelligent.

Ask yourself one question. Why would people bash Earl? Why?

Lyn

Pangit

Banned
But Earl does visit the doctor. He had to present doctor's excuses for why he needed to have taped-up fingers (to prevent blisters from playing too much pool), and special elevator boots.

Yup, Earl is the most entertaining guy in pool...in the saddest and most twisted way.

The doctor's note was probably signed "Earl's doctor."
:winknudge:

Last edited:

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone has ever had a bipolar relative you would know just by the look in his eyes. Horrible disease 10 minutes later he could become calm.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I personally know earl(he is from the town i work in for past 15 years,and we have played golf together,same cart,many many rounds 5+) what you guys see with earl in these tournaments and interviews are NOT an act. This is earl even if its just 2-3 guys standing around hitting balls. Period.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did Earl ruin this tournament. It went off fine. Oh, he whined afterwards for 30 seconds. WOW. Big deal. I wish the folks I worked with only whined for 30 seconds a day ;) Just like soccer (football) riots have not hurt the main sport in Europe. So far the death count from Earl is a still sparkling ZERO :)
Thanks for this post.what has earl ever done to "hurt" anyone....people just want to mess with him to get a reaction,well,you get one !

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy watching Earl more than any other player and not because of his antics-although that does provide some additional entertainment. I just like his playing style- runs out fast, spins the ball all over the table, and just makes the game look so easy.

In terms of this interview- that was relatively tame by earl’s standards. I’ve seen worse from him. I actually think he is capable of playing very close to the speed of his prime, but his mental game betrays him. He is often his own worst shark.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Earls script is unpredictable but entertaining. He's no Angel thats for sure but I ain't gonna judge him. By judging other you make it easy to be judge,;) I don't think Ive ever seen a forum with so many Saints on it.:smile:

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the reality

every time this man does something you buzzards(and non buzzards) have entire threads about "his" behaviour... most of you can only hope to do something short of murder to get five words written or said about you

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Just IMO - but there are times I kind of miss that bygone era that Earl was such a huge part of. The personalities were so 'larger than life'; Earl, Capt'n Hook, Miz, Fats .. they could bring folks to a table before they picked up their cues. In some ways I think pool has sorta passed Earl by. And it's not just pool - but other sports as well. With product placement, and sponsorship being such a big factor in "selling" a sport - the competitors are trained to be so bland these days. I'm not saying I don't just love the talent when watching SVB, Efren, 'The Lion, Darren, and so many others - but it is different from the 70s and 80s.
Earl is Earl, and while he's hardly alone in his little ... outbursts(?) - he is still one of the best at the "showmanship" game. His "personality" is part of what made "The Pearl" such a legend (and no I'm not discounting his skills), but there are times I do kinda miss the old days.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Just IMO - but there are times I kind of miss that bygone era that Earl was such a huge part of. The personalities were so 'larger than life'; Earl, Capt'n Hook, Miz, Fats .. they could bring folks to a table before they picked up their cues. In some ways I think pool has sorta passed Earl by. And it's not just pool - but other sports as well. With product placement, and sponsorship being such a big factor in "selling" a sport - the competitors are trained to be so bland these days. I'm not saying I don't just love the talent when watching SVB, Efren, 'The Lion, Darren, and so many others - but it is different from the 70s and 80s.
Earl is Earl, and while he's hardly alone in his little ... outbursts(?) - he is still one of the best at the "showmanship" game. His "personality" is part of what made "The Pearl" such a legend (and no I'm not discounting his skills), but there are times I do kinda miss the old days.

I think many are missing the old days. Not positive, but I think the mosconi cup is too.:smile: