Nick Varner is a Fargorate 777

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 5.46.36 PM.png

How is Varner a 777 with a robustness of 706? Except for a few seniors one pocket events in the past 10 years, I don't recall him playing in anything. Where and when did he get the 706 games since FargoRate went live? And how in the world did he play at a 777 level? I'm scratching my head here.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing it's because of the types of events he plays. It's just based on win lose, right?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Subscribing to see if a plausible answer will be given. :grin:

I guess ALL handicap systems have some kind of a flaw in them, eh?

Maniac

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 534063

How is Varner a 777 with a robustness of 706? Except for a few seniors one pocket events in the past 10 years, I don't recall him playing in anything. Where and when did he get the 706 games since FargoRate went live? And how in the world did he play at a 777 level? I'm scratching my head here.

He plays in some regional type tournaments. I happened to watch a stream of a local/regional bar table tournament a few months back and he was playing in the finals.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he is still a 777. There are many former pro players running around in their 60s and 70s who are still above 700 fargo rating.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He plays in some regional type tournaments. I happened to watch a stream of a local/regional bar table tournament a few months back and he was playing in the finals.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he is still a 777. There are many former pro players running around in their 60s and 70s who are still above 700 fargo rating.

Well by comparison, Archer is much younger, still active in high profile events, and is rated 768.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Varner played an event in Denver a few years back after not playing a big event in YEARS, and he took second. That event had John Schmidt, Johnny Archer, at minimum. Nick's speed didn't look too far off his prime, to me. Nick probably had a lot of good competitive years left in him, but decided having to live off the kindness of strangers in his senior years was not the way he wanted to go, and he focused on business.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well by comparison, Archer is much younger, still active in high profile events, and is rated 768.

I think if Nick Varner showed up to the Wyoming Open which Archer has been playing in - he would be every bit as competitive as Johnny.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think if Nick Varner showed up to the Wyoming Open which Archer has been playing in - he would be every bit as competitive as Johnny.

If so, that would be awesome. Does anyone know his age?

One other thing of note for the high FargoRate, is Varner is not listed on the top 100 US players, even though his rating would put him at #7 in the US. This means he did not play the minimum number of games in the past year or two to be on that list. I believe Mike has said it was 150 games over the past 2 years, but that number is from memory.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
If so, that would be awesome. Does anyone know his age?

One other thing of note for the high FargoRate, is Varner is not listed on the top 100 US players, even though his rating would put him at #7 in the US. This means he did not play the minimum number of games in the past year or two to be on that list. I believe Mike has said it was 150 games over the past 2 years, but that number is from memory.

I was just looking at that myself. I didn’t know about the past 2 years thing. It seems odd but admittedly I have not seen him playing in a long time so maybe he does still have it like that. I see some players closely above and below 777 that I feel he’d have serious trouble with but...just a feeling.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stop right there iutbr before you cause anymore FargoRate trouble.

Several years back (around 5) I watched Varner play quite a bit on the bar table and his game was just about perfectly suited for the BB with his tight position, banking, and crafty shooting -- like playing rail first shots. I wouldn't doubt he could play close to that speed on a bar table just a few years back but there's NO WAY he could play anywhere near that speed on a 9 footer then and definitely not now.

I know.. I know... all games and all tables are the same they say.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't profess to keep up with all this,but in my opinion Nick Varner is the greatest player of all time.
Is 777 a real high score? What is Efren? Alex? Tony?

I understand when Efren was in his young prime that Nick went to the Philipines and beat Efren on his own turf.

Whether or not he still plays much or how age is treating him I have no idea.

But if someone offered him a couple of balls at one pocket I would become involved.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't profess to keep up with all this,but in my opinion Nick Varner is the greatest player of all time.
Is 777 a real high score? What is Efren? Alex? Tony?

I understand when Efren was in his young prime that Nick went to the Philipines and beat Efren on his own turf.

Whether or not he still plays much or how age is treating him I have no idea.

But if someone offered him a couple of balls at one pocket I would become involved.

Here is the list of top USA only players, for comparison to Nick's Fargo. Nick's 777 would put him at #7, ahead of a bunch of well known and currently active pros.

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 8.51.30 PM.png

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
does nick have a 777 or not

is the fargo thing for 9 ball,one pocket,or what
i am unfamiliar with the whole thing

josh roberts is rated higher than tony chohan

as is jj

yet i thought tony beat them both

i honetly don't know how it works

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Pretty sure that if FargoRate had existed for all of Nicky’s career, he would’ve been in the 800s for three decades.
He won his last world 9-ball title while he was playing on the Mizerak Senior Tour.
...just saw him last week in Norfolk....he looks fit for 71 years old....
...he’d be missing his break speed....but tough at one-hole.