Snooker ladder starting soon in central Massachusetts

cascader

Registered
A snooker ladder is starting Nov 1, 2010 at the Billiards cafe' in Ayer, MA, home of one of New England's only 12' snooker tables.

The cost is $20 and it will run yearly. For those unfamiliar, the ladder provides a way to find and challenge other players, and, some fun competition for ladder position. Email snookerladder < at > gmail.com for more info or to sign up.

Last edited:

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Thanks for setting this up!

I'm looking forward to participating. Here's to hoping we'll see more Bostonians and other New Englanders playing snooker at The Billiards Cafe.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
The Snooker Ladder has over a dozen players already, and several more showed interest today. We're off to a good start.

cascader

Registered
Snooker ladder handicapped tournament.

We are planning a midseason handicapped tournament for ladder members who have 5 matches by mid June. There is still time to join the ladder and play to be eligible. Contact snookerladder <at> gmail.com if interested. Thanks to the Billiards Cafe in Ayer MA for offering table time for ladder matches at half price.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Come visit the snooker league

We are planning a midseason handicapped tournament for ladder members who have 5 matches by mid June. There is still time to join the ladder and play to be eligible. Contact snookerladder <at> gmail.com if interested. Thanks to the Billiards Cafe in Ayer MA for offering table time for ladder matches at half price.

Just played my first mid-season match and had a good time.

Traveling AzBers: if you'll be in Boston this summer, you could post here looking for a game. I'm sure someone from our snooker league could meet you to play.

cascader

Registered
2012 snooker ladder kickoff

Happy New Year!

The snooker ladder at The Billiards Cafe' in Ayer MA is entering its second season! New members are welcome to join at any time. The ladder is a great way to meet other snooker players, learn the game, while getting half off table time.

cascader

Registered
2013 snooker in central MA

We will be starting our third year of snooker competition soon - contact me for more info.

cascader

Registered
Handicap

The ladder itself isn't handicapped - it is self sorting based on matches played. For the handicapped tournament we break players into A, B, C, D levels based on available info, ladder position etc. and they start each frame with an appropriate point level. This also keeps the better players from just smashing the reds against a poor potter.

cascader

Registered
handicapped tournament details

We had a dozen players (about half the active snooker ladder players at the time). To speed things up, and yet let many players play each other, players were randomly assigned to one of two round robin groups. The top 3 players from each round robin group were then placed in a seeded 6 person double elimination bracket. Scores and breaks were reported and handicaps were potentially re-adjusted, if necessary, which was rare.

It worked out well, but stretched quite long from a calendar perspective, as players set their own match schedule, as they do in the ladder. With only one table available at our venue, and personal and work schedules conflicting, matches can take a while to schedule. Next time a suggested 2 week limit to complete a match or forfeit might be enforced.

cascader

Registered
The ladder has been successfully running for several years, but we were finding a few difficulties - the top and bottom strata couldn't intermingle enough. So as of late 2018 we are changing the format to a handicapped tournament, using the same range as Fargorate, using a "Elo" style handicap formula suggested by Bob Jewett. Feel free to join us in Ayer, MA.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ladder has been successfully running for several years, but we were finding a few difficulties - the top and bottom strata couldn't intermingle enough. So as of late 2018 we are changing the format to a handicapped tournament, using the same range as Fargorate, using a "Elo" style handicap formula suggested by Bob Jewett. Feel free to join us in Ayer, MA.

Hey there,

I just checked out the webpage and it still talks about a ladder. I'm interested and would like to try, but would need someone to help me out. I'm in Westborough, MA, not too far from Ayer. I have a friend who might be interested, too.

Cheers,

jv

cascader

Registered
Hi -

PM sent to connect via email. It is still called the snooker ladder, and is a handicapped format as mentioned above. It has been working well, with lots of close matches. Today's stats indicate 163 frames played since the beginning of the year, roughly 7 weeks of play. Happy to help get you started and the format allows joining at any time and playing as much or as little as you wish.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi -

PM sent to connect via email. It is still called the snooker ladder, and is a handicapped format as mentioned above. It has been working well, with lots of close matches. Today's stats indicate 163 frames played since the beginning of the year, roughly 7 weeks of play. Happy to help get you started and the format allows joining at any time and playing as much or as little as you wish.

Thanks! I sent an email.

Question: I see the rate is $9/hour, is that per person or per table?

Is there a way of soliciting games at particular days/times with others?

cascader

Registered
Disclaimer - I am not associated with the Billiards Cafe', just a patron, and created the snooker ladder to try to keep the snooker table busy so it remains available. :)

I think the snooker table rate is higher than $9 - maybe $13ish/hr?, but the ladder matches are priced at a significant discount. The current prices are posted next to the bar, and vary by weekday / weekends etc. The ladder matches are all setup by members themselves via group email, individual email, phone or text. I have a doc I'll send out that should help clarify it.

Last edited:

cascader

Registered
Oh, and can I use my regular pool cue?

Yes, you can, but you might find the house snooker cues suit you as well or better.
They have a considerably smaller tip. At some point getting a cue with an extension (or even just your own extension on a house cue) can be helpful for long shots.