How many balls (14.1)should an a,b, and c player run?

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Define

A as in shortstop or pro? Also are these A, B, C 14.1 players or pool players?

If its shortstop I'd imagine around 100 maybe more
A B player might not run more than 45
and a C player might run a rack and a few.

A lot of pros can run 200+ every now and then. Its much more difficult in competition though.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that's your guess, you need to guess again.

I ran 30+ before I knew how to run a rack of 9ball. Back then, I was a D player at best.

why don't you guess instead of keeping us all guessing? :D

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why don't you guess instead of keeping us all guessing? :D

D = 10-15 balls

I've seen some terrible players run 14 balls, make the break shot, but have no shot in the next rack, because they don't know what they are doing.

C = 15-30 balls

I've also seen C players run 14, make the break shot and have no shape. If they make it through the second rack, they choke on the second break shot. But like they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

B = 30+ balls

Once you get into the next few racks, you will see where your 14.1 knowledge lies.

A = 80-100 balls+

I've seen A players run 60+ with ease.

But don't take my opinion as gospel. Ultimately, we are still trying to rank players' skill level with letter grades.

When I ran the 30+ as a D player (or what I'd consider myself), IIRC, it was 34 balls with two break shots. Starting the game with 14 in the stack and a setup break shot in the corner.

Last edited:

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
D = 10-15 balls

I've seen some terrible players run 14 balls, make the break shot, but have no shot in the next rack, because they don't know what they are doing.

C = 15-30 balls

I've also seen C players run 14, make the break shot and have no shape. If they make it through the second rack, they choke on the second break shot. But like they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

B = 30+ balls

Once you get into the next few racks, you will see where your 14.1 knowledge lies.

A = 80-100 balls+

I've seen A players run 60+ with ease.

But don't take my opinion as gospel. Ultimately, we are still trying to rank players' skill level with letter grades.

When I ran the 30+ as a D player (or what I'd consider myself), IIRC, it was 34 balls with two break shots. Starting the game with 14 in the stack and a setup break shot in the corner.

That is quite a jump from a B player to an A player. Might want that a little more uniform as the player advances.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rankings (9ball or 14.1) are generally vague, but based on an overall feel for a player's game, I have seen high runs generally in this grouping.

D...teens
C...30s
B...50s
A...90s
OPEN...150 >
PRO...220
TOP PRO...300>

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is quite a jump from a B player to an A player. Might want that a little more uniform as the player advances.

Why should I make it a little more uniform? There is no scientific instrument that measures playing ability. There is no official database to chart improvement.

If I walk into the pool hall and want to play the best guy in the building, and I ask "What is he, a B player? A shortstop?" and the guy at the bar tells me he's a semi-pro... Well, is a semi-pro a shortstop? Is an A player a semi-pro?

If I tell you I know how to ride a horse, and you never saw me ride a horse, but you believe me. Then you go tell Jimmy Two Shoes that I can ride a horse. Do I really know how to ride a horse? You don't know that. You just know what people on an internet forum tell you.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The jump in runs mirrors the jump in consistency of pocketing. The intermediate/beginner players are all inconsistent. When you get into the B's and then A's you start seeing better skill level in all aspects. There's a saying to paraphrase - "If you can run two racks you can run ten". The saying speaks of consistency. B and A players set up their breakshots better and more consistently, hence the higher runs. A C player is lucky if he sets up two good breakshots in a row.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
My HR is 119 back in 2008, and 5 times i have run around 80 in the past 6 months.

i have not hit a 100 in the past 3 years, and i do not consider myself an A player.

i would be interested what i actually am, seems that rating change based on what room you play in.

-Steve

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that's your guess, you need to guess again.

I ran 30+ before I knew how to run a rack of 9ball. Back then, I was a D player at best.

There is no way a D player would run 30 balls in 14.1, would be closer to 3. A B will have a tough time hitting 30 as an average.

Maybe for a high run a D can get to 10ish.

I have run 3 racks of 9 ball a few times, I've never run 3 full racks of 14.1, my son can run 2 racks of 9 ball, his high run is under 14 in 14.1

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
There is no way a D player would run 30 balls in 14.1, would be closer to 3. A B will have a tough time hitting 30 as an average.

I have run 3 racks of 9 ball a few times, I've never run 3 full racks of 14.1, my son can run 2 racks of 9 ball, his high run is under 14 in 14.1

Depends on many factors. None of which are set in stone. If you can run 3 racks of 9 ball I think 3 racks of straightpool should be at least possible for you, but again it depends. I also think a D player should be able to get through a rack if he or she thinks it through. Getting on breakball is another story. But for the most part I agree. D-player running 30 balls? I think not!

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thus proving my point that Letter Grades don't matter and the game does.
When I ran 34 balls, I couldn't run a rack of 9-ball to save my life (even on a bar table).
My high run is only slightly higher, now, and I have ran tons of 2 packs and only a handful of 3 packs playing rotation.

And I'll clarify: What I mean by "pack," is breaking and running out, no slopped 9's or combinations. If you want to count that garbage, I've run a 5 pack.

I don't see myself as a B player, maybe a C player at best.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thus proving my point that Letter Grades don't matter and the game does.
When I ran 34 balls, I couldn't run a rack of 9-ball to save my life (even on a bar table).
My high run is only slightly higher, now, and I have ran tons of 2 packs and only a handful of 3 packs playing rotation.

And I'll clarify: What I mean by "pack," is breaking and running out, no slopped 9's or combinations. If you want to count that garbage, I've run a 5 pack.

I don't see myself as a B player, maybe a C player at best.

Dave, you're a B player take it from me. I've seen enough players. Are you just keeping a low profile for some other reason? LOL.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have had the high run in the B division with a 34 but I didn't post it 26 won I have 3 runs in the high 40s never hit 50

I know A players that never hit 100 and no there's not many pro's that occasionally hit 200 the list of living players hitting 200 is relatively short 95 % or better of pro's never hit