WPBA Pocket size

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Does anyone know what the pocket sizes are for the WPBA tables for their tournaments? They look like they are 5" pockets on some of the matches i've seen.

SCCues

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Actually, the WPBA pocket size is 4.5 inches, but with the fast cloth and the very slidy rails, they play much looser than that.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
I see alot of the women pros shoot balls in that should have rattled out and not even come close to going in....
________

Last edited:

powderburner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have checked the WPBA tables several times and they were about 4.5 inch. Some claim the tables used for the TV rounds were recovered after regular play and had shorter rails for bigger pockets but I find that a little difficult to believe.

jjinfla

Banned
I believe it was Dawn Hopkins talking about pocket size during the last televised match on ESPN. San Diego. She mentioned how Allison would have made that shot on the old larger 5 inch pockets but these in San Diego are 4 1/2.

So I suspect they are changing to the smaller size pockets.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Craig Fales said:
I see alot of the women pros shoot balls in that should have rattled out and not even come close to going in....

Those same shots would definitely rattle out in your local pool room, with older cloth. As SJM said, the new cloth makes these tables play looser. The regulars in the TV rounds have learned how to use that new cloth to their advantage and cheat the pockets a little, when needed.

The next time your local room recovers their tables, try to be the first to play on one and you will see what you can get away with. :D

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
On a side note. Thank you WPBA for putting up rankings and points in a timely manner. Johnnyt

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last year at the Nationals in Oregon I asked Steve Tiften what the pocket size was and he told me 5". Somewhere I read the WPBA was going to smaller pockets for this season, but I don't have any confirmation.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
tedkaufman said:
Last year at the Nationals in Oregon I asked Steve Tiften what the pocket size was and he told me 5". Somewhere I read the WPBA was going to smaller pockets for this season, but I don't have any confirmation.

Peg Ledman, who coordinates all aspects of the equipment planning and setup for WPBA events, has told me the specs are 4 1/2 inches at the corners and 5 inches at the sides.

Still, because the cloth is fast and the rails are ridiculously slidy, these tables just don't play tight. Pocket size isn't everything when it comes to assessing the difficulty of playing conditions.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
Peg Ledman, who coordinates all aspects of the equipment planning and setup for WPBA events, has told me the specs are 4 1/2 inches at the corners and 5 inches at the sides.

Still, because the cloth is fast and the rails are ridiculously slidy, these tables just don't play tight. Pocket size isn't everything when it comes to assessing the difficulty of playing conditions.

I agree about the cloth and rails determining how wide a pocket plays. As for my question to Steve last year at the Nationals, he told me the corners were 5". And they looked huge, which is why I asked him.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
tedkaufman said:
I agree about the cloth and rails determining how wide a pocket plays. As for my question to Steve last year at the Nationals, he told me the corners were 5". And they looked huge, which is why I asked him.

In that case, it sounds like they switched this year. I'm going to the next WPBA event, which is abouit three weeks away, and I'll have a glance.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a couple of years ago, at the WPBA Peoria event, late on a saturday night after the last matches had concluded i walked back to where the TV table was and checked it out.

IIRC, it was a Brunswick Gibson table, and i thought the corner pockets were somewhat big. not huge, but pretty big. and as SJM says, with slick cloth they actually play a little bigger.

i recall one shot Gerda made on TV back in 2002 against Allison in the finals at Peoria, and i thought it was amazing that ball went it. when it was shown on TV, it was even more amazing that the shot went in.

DCP

Last edited:

amatuer

Registered
wpba pocket size

In florida they used the new brunswick metro tournament tables which has 4.5 inch pockets. The rails are a little longer so the played a bit tighter more like a diamond table in the corners. Many players were rattling balls during the whole tournament. Shots down the rail were touigher.

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
As amatuer said, in Florida we used the Metro table with extended rails. The pockets were 4.5 or a little smaller. The tables played tougher and the humid conditions made them even more tough. I personally hope we continue to use this table but I'm not sure if it was just a trial run or not. I know this is the same table the men will use as well. It is the Metro Tournament Edition. We will see in a couple of weeks.

Sarah

travis trotter

pro pool player
Silver Member
pocket size

well if you shoot fast you will make balls go in the pockets i have a pocket extender for my pool table

thanks

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
travis trotter said:
well if you shoot fast you will make balls go in the pockets i have a pocket extender for my pool table

thanks
This has to be a joke right? I mean come on, what the heck does that even mean?