Matchplay etiquette

mike99

I was playing nine ball race to six with a guy I played many times before. After being down 4-0 caught up to 5-5 and lost the last game. We started playing late in evening after league so we only had time for one more set. Again I was down and found myself on the hill with my opponent. He was on the eight shooting something that resembled a spot shot. He had to bring whitey back to the other end of the table to get shape on the final nine of the night. THIS IS WHERE IT GOT WIERD. A friend of both of us was talking to a waitress in his line of sight. He waited for them to finish but it was taking a long time and they didn’t notice that he was waiting. I was getting tired of waiting in also. My opponent set his cue down and went to the bathroom for a minute. Finally, He comes back and the waitress is gone he shoots his shot and gets reasonable shape on the nine. Frustrated from waiting and wanting to go home I broke my BREAK cue down. Then he broke his cue down and said I forfeited the set. An argument ensued. I hadn’t broken down my play cue. I was tired and didn’t feel like I did anything wrong. He wasn’t down on the shot when I broke down my break cue. I felt he was in the wrong that when he broke his play cue down Without shooting the final nine. I packed up my stuff arguing my point as I did. Wile I was paying my tab, he finally put his cue together and made the nine. I didn’t pay him. Was I justified walking out without paying?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just my .02. Everyone stay put until the set is over. Breaking cues is wrong. Wait until the final ball is made. Cannot argue with that.

mike99

Thanks for your input. Do you think I should cool down and pay off the set?

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your input. Do you think I should cool down and pay off the set?

IMHO yes. Maybe explain the frustration that you were feeling, pay the man and shake hands.

Keith

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing nine ball race to six with a guy I played many times before. After being down 4-0 caught up to 5-5 and lost the last game. We started playing late in evening after league so we only had time for one more set. Again I was down and found myself on the hill with my opponent. He was on the eight shooting something that resembled a spot shot. He had to bring whitey back to the other end of the table to get shape on the final nine of the night. THIS IS WHERE IT GOT WIERD. A friend of both of us was talking to a waitress in his line of sight. He waited for them to finish but it was taking a long time and they didn’t notice that he was waiting. I was getting tired of waiting in also. My opponent set his cue down and went to the bathroom for a minute. Finally, He comes back and the waitress is gone he shoots his shot and gets reasonable shape on the nine. Frustrated from waiting and wanting to go home I broke my BREAK cue down. Then he broke his cue down and said I forfeited the set. An argument ensued. I hadn’t broken down my play cue. I was tired and didn’t feel like I did anything wrong. He wasn’t down on the shot when I broke down my break cue. I felt he was in the wrong that when he broke his play cue down Without shooting the final nine. I packed up my stuff arguing my point as I did. Wile I was paying my tab, he finally put his cue together and made the nine. I didn’t pay him. Was I justified walking out without paying?

If he was not done shooting when you took apart your cue, that is a concession to me, break cue or not. Why did you not do it while he was in the bathroom? Waiting till he was on the 9 is either a sharking move or a concession. You were not right in this situation at all. Some players have their cue in their hands the whole game, when the guy is about to make the game winning shot, they move it to the cue holder or lean it on the chair or something. It is pretty much designed to cause any distraction to the shooter, fully deliberate or not, like moving to rack but just a second before the guy shoots.

Last edited: