Harold Worst vs Boston Shorty

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Honestly, I thought I had seen all the youtube videos of the old matches, few as they are. Then, this one popped up. Not much play, but Worst vs Boston Shorty. Hadn't seen it, lot of editing, guess Worst got the best of him. Looks like tight pockets, and guys smoking all over the place. Enjoy.

All the best,
WW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgAmdlfbh1Q

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Great video! I had not seen it before either. It looks like at about 4:06 Boston shortstuff shoots a crazy hard cut shot "off handed" and drills it! Then just past the five minute mark a headless man steps in to rack the balls(scary stuff).

I love the old videos, thanks for the link.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Honestly, I thought I had seen all the youtube videos of the old matches, few as they are. Then, this one popped up. Not much play, but Worst vs Boston Shorty. Hadn't seen it, lot of editing, guess Worst got the best of him. Looks like tight pockets, and guys smoking all over the place. Enjoy.

All the best,
WW

thanks for the link
wish there was more video of worst
many think he was the greatest pool/billiards player ever

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny Ervolino told me that he felt Harold Worst was the best pool player he ever saw. That's a pretty strong statement coming from someone who was also a great player and played against the best players.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed in the video Boston Shorty formed his closed bridge similar to Earl. Not many people do it that way.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

All the best,
WW

Thanks for posting this. Great stuff!!!

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
There are a few best all around players:

Harold Worst. This is one of the pieces of evidence.
Luther Lassiter. Played all the games, beat everybody.
Mike Sigel. Played all the games, beat everybody.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
When was the "era of slow cloth"? The table looks pretty fast here.

That table looks pretty fast, because it is very worn cloth. It probably started out as Brunsco or Stevens cloth, all wool, and in mid-life, was probably slow. But old pool rooms kept the cloth clean, let it wear, and even the old cloth turned pretty fast if you kept it long enough.

One of the many myths is that the old cloth was slower. It was slower in mid life, but not if it was old, and clean.

All the best,
WW

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a few best all around players:

Harold Worst. This is one of the pieces of evidence.
Luther Lassiter. Played all the games, beat everybody.
Mike Sigel. Played all the games, beat everybody.

All the best,
WW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSlaY9nMzGI

Speaking of Sigel I just discovered that video from the 2011 14.1 championships. I believe if there was any money in pool these days Mike could get his game to a place where he would be a threat to win any tournament he entered in rotation games or 14.1 - assuming he is in good health.

One of the best ever to joint a cue.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a picture of Shorty that I just found in a moving box. It is labeled as from the 1966 Stardust tournament. The colorization is by Ray DeSell.

DeSell Pix 001.jpg

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
In 1971 Shorty came to Chicago at Bensingers to play, Artie Bodendorfer a race to 30 playing one pocket for $5K. Al Fuss a mediocre 3C player staked Shorty. At that time, Artie owned Besingers, they decided to play in the exhibition room on the only GC1 that was there. Artie beat Shorty 30-5!

I'll try and find the newspaper article by the 'Tribune' about the match. I know it was entitled, "The Hustler plays the Champ!".