an open letter to apa haters

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post. I agree with a lot of hat you stated.

Yea there are sandbaggers out there. In my experience I dont think its as prevalent as some claim..

After playing a year I got to where I was one of those that complained about prevalent sandbagging but over time 2 things changed my opinion of how prevalent it really is in my area

1. Over time every one that I had complained about was eventually raised. They were not raised because I complained...they were raised because the handicapping system works.

2. People started complaining I was a sandbagger..when people started complaint to my face...to every one they knew and even to the lo it opened my eyes to just how quick people are to jump to opinions and throw that word around.

Upon reflecting on times when I was called a sandbagger I realized a few things...mainly every one has good nights and bad nights.

Another thing I realized is there are plenty of sore losers out there that cannot handle defeat...especially from a lower level player that had a good night and the fact that they themselves had a bad night.

I have been called a sandbagger countless times but the most ludicrous accusation came from an opponent who was the same level as me and lost 9 ball by one point .

Yea one point...he started complaining to hiss team mates and then went around the room telling every one I was a sandbagger. This was during tri cups and I eventually got to the lo who was there. Upon liking at the score sheet the lo started laughing .

It was not a laughing matter to me to have my reputation tarnished by a sore loser.

That's the kind of thing that could cause some people to hate the APA :)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the kind of thing that could cause some people to hate the APA :)

Yes that is possibly true.

I ran into a former Napa team mate about a month ago at the pool hall. He was sporting a nice shiner. I asked ho. What the heck happened..

He told mw he was playing a guy 9 ball race to 7 for 500.00 on the gold crowns. The other guy did not take kindly to my former team mate playing a whole lot better than he thought he could and as a result refused to pay and gave my former team mate a black eye.

I can see where that would cause some people to hate gambling with serious players.

See how that works ? :grin-square:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes that is possibly true.

I ran into a former Napa team mate about a month ago at the pool hall. He was sporting a nice shiner. I asked ho. What the heck happened..

He told mw he was playing a guy 9 ball race to 7 for 500.00 on the gold crowns. The other guy did not take kindly to my former team mate playing a whole lot better than he thought he could and as a result refused to pay and gave my former team mate a black eye.

I can see where that would cause some people to hate gambling with serious players.

See how that works ? :grin-square:

How old / feeble is your buddy wit the shiner ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How old / feeble is your buddy wit the shiner ?

He is neither old or feeble. My buddy is possibly in his early thirties......the other players is in his late twenties.. As I understand it the other guy acted like he was gonna reach in his pocket for the cash then came up and sucker punched my buddy.

They had played each other before with out any issues but not for this kinda stakes. I guess you can say the higher the stakes the better my buddy:grin-square: plays .

Edited to add....my understanding is they had played on bar tables before....guess the guy did not think my buddy could play on 9's just as well.

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is neither old or feeble. My buddy is possibly in his early thirties......the other players is in his late twenties.. As I understand it the other guy acted like he was gonna reach in his pocket for the cash then came up and sucker punched my buddy.

They had played each other before with out any issues but not for this kinda stakes. I guess you can say the higher the stakes the better my buddy:grin-square: plays .

Edited to add....my understanding is they had played on bar tables before....guess the guy did not think my buddy could play on 9's just as well.

Sorry, I was thinking maybe it was an older dude maybe. Well in this case then, I hope he put a whooping on this guy he ain't NEVER GONNA FORGET!!! I also in some form or fashion he took that half stack outta that guys ass!!! Ma be snapped his pool cue ( if he had one ) in a million pieces for starters. People are always giving this and that excuse, but this guy being a Nitty Nit ass j/o is what gives pool a bad name. Not very gentlemanly at all and j hope he does that to the wrong person one day and gets what he undoubtedly has coming to him. Sorry your buddy got the stiffie!

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although @$$ whoopins were cool in high school. Sometimes better to get a person like this an assault charge and civil suit. In my experience retaliation charges are way worse. Let them enjoy the trouble with employment and housing. Not to mention the jail time, probation, restitution and wage garnishment.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although @$$ whoopins were cool in high school. Sometimes better to get a person like this an assault charge and civil suit. In my experience retaliation charges are way worse. Let them enjoy the trouble with employment and housing. Not to mention the jail time, probation, restitution and wage garnishment.

You're probably right but when someone puts their hands on me all bets are off!

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree, if you do it at the time of the sucker punch. But if you get k.o. and you catch them afterwards it is way more trouble then its worth. Looking back now I probably took it way too far. Ah to be young, dumb, and well you know the rest. Point is your ego can get you into trouble at times and prisons are full of guys who put their "respect" above all else.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member

I guess I'm at that age where it's not worth it. I don't like bringing fists to a knife or gun fight.

Roll with the punch. Talk to the cops. File a police report. That's how an adult solves these types of problems.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I'm at that age where it's not worth it. I don't like bringing fists to a knife or gun fight.

Roll with the punch. Talk to the cops. File a police report. That's how an adult solves these types of problems.

Shawn, I'm truly not being a smart ass but so what, are you just supposed to stand there with your hands behind your back and let someone just beat on you and do whatever they please?, or just curl up in a ball ( fetal position ) and hope for the best, maybe the guy will get tired or bored???

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Shawn, I'm truly not being a smart ass but so what, are you just supposed to stand there with your hands behind your back and let someone just beat on you and do whatever they please?, or just curl up in a ball ( fetal position ) and hope for the best, maybe the guy will get tired or bored???

He punched him once. In the face. He didn't jump on and start kicking. I would defend myself if needed. I used to play hockey. Trust me, I've been punched before. No one got a beat down with a stick, or pummeled beyond recognition. In fact, sometimes I had a beer with the guy afterwards that punched me.

What I'm saying is most of the time, it isn't worth the risk. Let cooler heads prevail. He was at a pool hall. Not a back alley street fight. I think someone would have stepped in if it got ugly.

There are a ton of dead "tough guys" out there. Relatively fewer dead "pansies" out there.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I was a six-footer, but always about ten pounds under weight when I was young...
...playing a guy three inches taller and 'bout fifty pounds heavier....
...nine-ball, fifty a game.....had him stuck 'bout four hun........
...in a menacing tone of voice....he accused me of being a pool hustler....:rolleyes:
....I said "Let me get this straight...you hang around pool halls and play for money...
....and you're shocked you ran into a pool hustler?"

He started laughing, racked 'em up....and lost a few more bucks.

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He punched him once. In the face. He didn't jump on and start kicking. I would defend myself if needed. I used to play hockey. Trust me, I've been punched before. No one got a beat down with a stick, or pummeled beyond recognition. In fact, sometimes I had a beer with the guy afterwards that punched me.

What I'm saying is most of the time, it isn't worth the risk. Let cooler heads prevail. He was at a pool hall. Not a back alley street fight. I think someone would have stepped in if it got ugly.

There are a ton of dead "tough guys" out there. Relatively fewer dead "pansies" out there.

I'm sorry, but cooler heads went bye bye as soon as the first punch was thrown. YOU also have zero idea if it is " only " gonna be one punch - which BTW all it takes is one punch to end someone's life if it hits someone just right or if it hits them and they fall and hit their head etc. Also, I will never leave my safety up to the chance of a stranger that may or may not jump in to stop a fight and truth is most would not get involved . Look Shawn I'm with you really, as I've gotten older I walk away from SOOOOO much sheet I NEVER would have when I was younger but like I said once someone puts their hands on you to hurt you all bets are off. Maybe it's just how I came up, was always taught never to go looking for a fight but if forced to take care of my biz! Also; contrary to what many say, it has nothing to do with " tough guy " it's only about defending yourself.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
I'm sorry, but cooler heads went bye bye as soon as the first punch was thrown. YOU also have zero idea if it is " only " gonna be one punch - which BTW all it takes is one punch to end someone's life if it hits someone just right or if it hits them and they fall and hit their head etc. Also, I will never leave my safety up to the chance of a stranger that may or may not jump in to stop a fight and truth is most would not get involved . Look Shawn I'm with you really, as I've gotten older I walk away from SOOOOO much sheet I NEVER would have when I was younger but like I said once someone puts their hands on you to hurt you all bets are off. Maybe it's just how I came up, was always taught never to go looking for a fight but if forced to take care of my biz! Also; contrary to what many say, it has nothing to do with " tough guy " it's only about defending yourself.

To each their own. Choose to defend yourself. I'm just saying that I've been around long enough, and been in enough situations to know that walking away from the fight is most often the best response.

He punched the guy out of anger and frustration. Not to murder him. Which is why he probably only got hit once. If I really wanted to hurt you, you wouldn't have a chance to defend yourself. There would be a second and third punch on the way before you even figured out the first one hit you. Then a foot. And another. You get my point. If you're about to take a beatdown, there's pretty much nothing you can do about it. It's not like the movies.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shawn, I'm truly not being a smart ass but so what, are you just supposed to stand there with your hands behind your back and let someone just beat on you and do whatever they please?

At the point that they touch you and put you in fear of being hurt it becomes self defense so anything that happens afterwards is on them. Of course there is a limit to how far you go, but as a general rule, if they touch you and you do what you need to remove the threat and nothing more, then you are fine.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just saying that I've been around long enough, and been in enough situations to know that walking away from the fight is most often the best response.

I would agree 100%. I have much patience and would avoid a fight unless absolutely pushed to it. At that point I am not fighting, I am protecting myself thus once the threat is removed I step back.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each their own. Choose to defend yourself. I'm just saying that I've been around long enough, and been in enough situations to know that walking away from the fight is most often the best response.

Shawn, I will agree with this ^^^^^^^^, but my point is once they escalate to physical ( and thats all the difference in the world between words and acrually purring your hands on someone )it's no longer your choice, they made that decision for you. We obviously know nothing about this guy that hit him, but what we do know Isome there ARE a lot of animals out there and I personally don't want " to bet " it's only gonna be one punch or that someone is gonna step in on my half and call a time out.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
At the point that they touch you and put you in fear of being hurt it becomes self defense so anything that happens afterwards is on them. Of course there is a limit to how far you go, but as a general rule, if they touch you and you do what you need to remove the threat and nothing more, then you are fine.

Not the case. Sorry. It all depends on the situation. Being in "fear" of being hurt isn't justification for self defense. You could be in fear of a situation, someone touches you, you hit them, and could still be charged and convicted of assault.

There is no "general rule" regarding self defense.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member

Shawn, I will agree with this ^^^^^^^^, but my point is once they escalate to physical ( and thats all the difference in the world between words and acrually purring your hands on someone )it's no longer your choice, they made that decision for you. We obviously know nothing about this guy that hit him, but what we do know Isome there ARE a lot of animals out there and I personally don't want " to bet " it's only gonna be one punch or that someone is gonna step in on my half and call a time out.

Yes, we do know something about the guy he's played. He's played him before. No one got their ass kicked. This time, the guy goes down for $500 on the big table. Feels like he got hustled. And the guy cracks him in the head. That's all. Now, could the situation escalate? Sure. They could get some cues out, and go Bruce Lee on each other. And now, there's police. And court dates. And assault charges.

It's $500. I don't know about you, but I won't consider "defending myself" unless there is a real threat to me. In this case, I'd roll with the punch, laugh it off, and ask if he wanted to pay off the $500, or should I call the cops? At this point, if he comes at me again, I have legal grounds to defend myself. He's hit me once. I have to assume he's coming to hit me again. But, the first shot is free. And he has a chance to walk away. That is the best way to handle a situation like this. We aren't animals. Use your words.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

How dare you take the adult responsible route, this is pool, damn it!