Price of Olhausen Reno in solid poplar

HexadTom

A dealer has priced a V-Series Reno (default configuration - Sheraton apron, Sheraton legs) made of solid poplar at $2,399.00 (the same as he wants for a maple veneer). I can get several finishes (including heritage maple) at this price.
Is this a reasonable price?
What are the minuses of poplar?

tableman

Silver Member
Not sure where you're located but it sounds like your dealer is offering you a pretty descent deal. There are really no bad points to the poplar except you have to get it in a dark finish only because of the dark streaks in the wood. Structurally it's as good as maple.

Tom M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A dealer has priced a V-Series Reno (default configuration - Sheraton apron, Sheraton legs) made of solid poplar at $2,399.00 (the same as he wants for a maple veneer). I can get several finishes (including heritage maple) at this price.
Is this a reasonable price?
What are the minuses of poplar?

They must be putting a LOT of finish on it. Poplar is not really considered a "stain grade" wood, which means that in the world of quality furniture, it's only used if the finish will be painted. Stucturally it's perfectly fine.

If they've put a finish on it that looks good, then I don't see any downside. If you like the way it looks, great. You have no worries about the strength.

Tom