Was anyone there to see Jimmy Mataya crawl out from his rock

TULIPWOOD LOVER

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a goof ball, Jimmy "Pretty Boy Floyd" Mataya comes into the action room woofing about how he is the best there ever was. Was is right cause Jimmy ain't got the balls to play my wife; and she don't play pool. I have never heard so much bull crap in my life. He offers anyone in the room the 7 out, and then tries to tell all the people that wanted to play him, that they don't have enough money. Then when he finally is ready to make a game he switches it to one limb nine ball. So his bluff gets called, and he still backs down. Jimmy if you ever read this I just have one thing to say, "Put up or SHUT UP".

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
I seen him spending the night in the chair just outside of the action room....LOLz
________

Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
TULIPWOOD LOVER said:
What a goof ball, Jimmy "Pretty Boy Floyd" Mataya comes into the action room woofing about how he is the best there ever was. Was is right cause Jimmy ain't got the balls to play my wife; and she don't play pool. I have never heard so much bull crap in my life. He offers anyone in the room the 7 out, and then tries to tell all the people that wanted to play him, that they don't have enough money. Then when he finally is ready to make a game he switches it to one limb nine ball. So his bluff gets called, and he still backs down. Jimmy if you ever read this I just have one thing to say, "Put up or SHUT UP".

Well, I will say this, this a very interesting post. Jimmy was once one hell of a player, and he has always been a gambler.
So, I will say this, I have not seen the man in 25 year's, and maybe he is old now, but in his day he was one hell of a player, and he was also one of the best masse shot shooters in the entire country.

By the way, I could careless who your wife is:D, I would back him against your wife anytime right here in may pool room, so as you say put up or shut up!!!

Have a nice day!!! Lets see who has balls!!! Pm me if interested;)

Manwon

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Although it was a train wreck, Jim Mataya is one of the reasons I play this game. I would buy him a beer anytime.

Fred <~~~ bought Jim a beer

T

Timberly

Cornerman said:
Although it was a train wreck, Jim Mataya is one of the reasons I play this game. I would buy him a beer anytime.
Fred <~~~ bought Jim a beer
I didn't know of Mataya until after I started playing pool but he was one of the many colorful characters that kept me coming back to pool time after time. I was thrilled when he showed up this yr.

Timberly <--- More than happy to say she too bought Jimmy a beer last week.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Timberly said:
Timberly <--- More than happy to say she too bought Jimmy a beer last week.
I'm going to go out on a real skinny limb here and say you and Fred are not the only ones to buy Pretty Boy a beer from the sound of things.:confused:

I have been privy to the Pretty Boy show before although I don't think it was to the same magnitude. The guy was a great player and had a hot wife but then he became a drunk and pissed it away. I kind of feel sorry for him. Tons of personality and his own worst enemy.

T

Timberly

Ktown D said:
I'm going to go out on a real skinny limb here and say you and Fred are not the only ones to buy Pretty Boy a beer from the sound of things.:confused:
Jimmy didn't show up until later in the week... maybe Thur?? As usual, I made my way to the bar each night around midnight or so and he was always sitting with Sally & JR, which is where I always sat too. In the bar he was quite calm and very pleasant. He told a few road stories when prompted and did a few card tricks and magic tricks. Everyone was taking turns buying rounds, including Jimmy. ;)

I wish you could've stayed longer. I enjoyed meeting you and the little time we spent talking. I'm looking forward to running into you again. :)

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Timberly said:
I wish you could've stayed longer. I enjoyed meeting you and the little time we spent talking. I'm looking forward to running into you again. :)
That makes 2 of us. You're not bad yourself.;)

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
He was the commentator for one match on BCn. I thought he made a complete ass of himself... as he has every time I've heard him doing commentary. It is too bad he can't age with intelligence as he was an important figure in pool.

JOEY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont care what anyone says about jimmy. he was one of the toughest in his day, and is a legend. i had talked to jimmy for hours throughout the 4 days at the dcc. he has some great stories and tricks to boot. i was there when he made his speech in the tourney room, i thought it was funny as hell. if it that makes him feel good, let him do it. also, if he woulda made that speech in his prime, nobody would have taken him up on it. bottom line, jimmy dont shoot anymore, he has some drinks, kicks back, and has fun.

joey < also bought jimmy a few beers.

kevin s

Tennessee
Silver Member
JOEY said:
i dont care what anyone says about jimmy. he was one of the toughest in his day, and is a legend. i had talked to jimmy for hours throughout the 4 days at the dcc. he has some great stories and tricks to boot. i was there when he made his speech in the tourney room, i thought it was funny as hell. if it that makes him feel good, let him do it. also, if he woulda made that speech in his prime, nobody would have taken him up on it. bottom line, jimmy dont shoot anymore, he has some drinks, kicks back, and has fun.

joey < also bought jimmy a few beers.

If this had happen in a room full of practice games , then yeah i'd say it was pretty funny too! I was in on two matches being staked in there. At the time and to me it wasn't cool or funny!! He was disrespectful to all the players trying to get the cash. I wonder what "pretty boy" would have thought if he where playing a set for big stakes and someone did it to him??

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just have two words. Two important words. Two words which describe what Jimmy was doing on a "daily" basis that I'm sure most of you (myself included) could only dream of doing.

No...not a World Championship...."Ewa Lawrence" (formerly Mataya).

Just for that, I must idolize Jimmy Mataya. Oh, and he played real good too!

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I don't know Jimmy personally, so all I can do is pass on my impression of him from what I have seen of him...

I have several old tapes of his commentary for CJ's defunct PCA tour. It was all corny one-liners and no real substance.

I have a DVD of the 1987 Peter Vitalie Invitational from Jay Helfert. As Mike was giving his cngratulatory interview, Jimmy kept worming his way into camera shot and even tried to engage Mike in conversation so he could get some face time. Very sad.

I saw him approach several older pros at the recent DCC and none of them responded with the same enthusiastic hello.

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
TULIPWOOD LOVER said:

I was pretty drunk and not sure of the details, but I was there for the woofing. I was in cheap action at the time, I remember stopping to listen to Jimmy. When I checked out the next morning, there he was, in a chair passed out.

I enjoyed seeing JM 'cause it made me feel better about how stinking drunk I was. Plus, it was some entertaining shit, one man yelling at the room in general...I could imagine him doing this 20 years ago and playing anyone who wanted some.

-s

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I saw Mataya in 1992 do the same thing at the Willards Tournament, only back 15 years ago he was still able to back up his talk. He beat Francisco Galindo for 1k and then beat another great Mexican player back to back. Those two matches I would pay good money to have a tape of them now. At one point Mataya is on the hill and has a really tough 8 ball. He looks at the shot, strokes it like 20 times and then gets off the ball and proceeds to woof again at the room going on and on about how great he is and how no one can beat him etc. He then gets down again and its a replay of the prior time...20 strokes, gets up and starts woofing again. I was with a buddy and we both were just flabbergasted how any player could play in this manner. So after all that he finally gets back down on this super tough shot and FIRES it in getting perfect position for the nine in the side pocket. Mataya runs up to the table and whips the cue behind his back and fires in the money ball one handed behind his back shouting to the Mexican players "AM I NOT ZE GREEEATEST PLAYER IN ALL OF MEI HI CO!!!! " I gotta tell you, it was real entertainment.