BCA Open team from TAIWAN disqualified?

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This seems like a touchy subject, so how about a compromise. Pay the Taiwan players half their prize money, and take the rest of the money to refund the entry to any player they beat and offer them a free singles entry for 2013.

Just throwing out suggestions, so try not to bash too hard.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Speed pool is as much recognized cue sport as miniature golf is a recognized club sport. Actually, probably less.

Well lets be serious, it is probably not less. Once you are hitting a golf ball through a windmill you have gone quite far from a "sport".

Jason Kane plays well. He used to play at a higher level but over the years it seems his game dropped some, probably due to a lack of play. He is still a pretty strong player to run into in the open but he is certainly in the realm of a above average to strong "open" player these days at best IMO.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
anyone in this thread want to play Bobby McGrath some?

or David Alcaide?

not sure why people discount someone that won a speed pool championship as not being a champion.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member

or David Alcaide?

not sure why people discount someone that won a speed pool championship as not being a champion.

That Bobby is something to watch. Look fast as it is over before you know what hit you! :eek:

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
klockdoc,

Got to that point Monday. Looked at the potential downfall of winning a match that would move me to the Advanced group. Actually didn't think of dumping. Just wanted to win. Tuesday morning the same situation occurred when I played the match for 7/8. Honestly did question whether or not I wanted a second visit to the Masters group. Once that match was history, found winning the Open became my only goal. Almost got there. Lost 5/4. Not sure if I'd have beaten either of the guys from Taiwan. It would have been interesting though!

The only people who questioned my finish were my Open teammates. They, like you, saw my participation in our team ending. Should I have dumped? Not a chance. May never have the opportunity again. I'll be back at 68 years young next year. Hope to have the honor to be the oldest active Master player! Already have an Advanced Team lined up. Anyone for Master Scotch Doubles?????

Lyn

My daughter has a 1st, 2nd and 5th iin the Open SD and a 3rd in the Masters.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
Jerry, I would have to question the logic behind this move?

Why travel to Vegas, pay for a room and then get to the small cash without trying for more?

It seems smarter to not even play in singles. Just play in the challenge room for more money. If this person doesn't want to be know as an Advanced/Master player then why pay the $125 entry for the Open and then dump?

Easy answer is that they understand the Loop Hole of the BCAPL in raising people from one division to another.

If a team fields 5 OPEN Players and they finish in the top 16 teams then they would all be moved up to Advanced the following year, UNLESS, individually they played in the OPEN Singles and DID NOT get in the top 48 spots.

Scenario A) Team X has 5 OPEN players, 3 of the players play in the OPEN Singles and all cash high enough to double or triple their money, but they don't crack the top 48 players. Team X plays in the Team event and wins the event ($12,500). The 3 players that all played the OPEN Division then get to stay in the OPEN Division the following year, based on their Singles Finish. The 2 players that did not play singles will be bumped up to Advanced the following year. If 2-3 of those OPEN Players also played scotch and finish in the top 8 or so, they are making even more money.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
Unfortunately it's true Mark. I saw it in 2011 first hand when a player who usually finishes in the top 16 in Scotch Doubles and top 32 in Teams was playing in the OPEN Singles, got to the 49th-64th place, was drilling the guy 4-0 and started shooting the 8 ball directly into the pocket, negotiated some sort of saver and made up some excuse that he had to catch a flight home, even though I saw him there for the team event 2 days later.

Just ran the numbers from 2012, and this player who dumped in 2011 cashed in 3 events this year for a grand total of $1,785. And guess what, he'll be in the OPEN Division again next year!

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
Easy answer is that they understand the Loop Hole of the BCAPL in raising people from one division to another.

If a team fields 5 OPEN Players and they finish in the top 16 teams then they would all be moved up to Advanced the following year, UNLESS, individually they played in the OPEN Singles and DID NOT get in the top 48 spots.

Scenario A) Team X has 5 OPEN players, 3 of the players play in the OPEN Singles and all cash high enough to double or triple their money, but they don't crack the top 48 players. Team X plays in the Team event and wins the event ($12,500). The 3 players that all played the OPEN Division then get to stay in the OPEN Division the following year, based on their Singles Finish. The 2 players that did not play singles will be bumped up to Advanced the following year. If 2-3 of those OPEN Players also played scotch and finish in the top 8 or so, they are making even more money.

I think ALL players can play in the Open Singles. All five cannot play in the Open Team, they have to play in the Advanced. You can only be raised individually by playing in the singles. Not raised individually by playing team.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

or David Alcaide?

It is not the player but the event they played in this case that is questioned. Just because someone wins a speed pool title does "not" mean they do not also shoot world class. Tiger Woods might win a mini-putt championship, does that mean he is suddenly less of an actual golfer? No, but the mini-putt championship is not the thing that defined him as great.

Forget the speed pool feats. Alcaide has won major Eurotour titles, the Predator 10-ball, got 3rd in the World 10-ball Championships, 3rd in the World 8-ball Championships, a 2nd in the US Open 10-ball, ect... His speed pool feats are a side show of a guy who has proven in real pool tournaments he can really play. He is an actual player who decided to do the side show speed pool thing and won that too, but that speed pool title is not what defines him as being a pro level pool player, his actual pool playing finishes do.

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Sorry to wander off topic of the thread again........... But I give speed pool way more credit than artistic pool as far as how it translates to being good player as a general rule. Am I missing the boat on artistic pool?

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
My daughter has a 1st, 2nd and 5th iin the Open SD and a 3rd in the Masters.

Hey doc,

Me and my doubles partner have a third in the Open Doubles under our belt. She fired me as soon as word got out I finished 5/6 :p. No Masters doubles for her. Or me!!!!

Lyn

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
Hey doc,

Me and my doubles partner have a third in the Open Doubles under our belt. She fired me as soon as word got out I finished 5/6 :p. No Masters doubles for her. Or me!!!!

Lyn

The 5th place came with me. :(

Then she dumped me for some real champions. :)

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
I think ALL players can play in the Open Singles. All five cannot play in the Open Team, they have to play in the Advanced. You can only be raised individually by playing in the singles. Not raised individually by playing team.

Players that get in the top 16 from team, who DID NOT play singles OR DID get in the top 48 in singles will be bumped individually to ADVANCED.

The issue about dumping is that players can play singles, get to 49th place, triple their entry, dump, and could win the team and/or scotch doubles and make some good money, AND THEY REMAIN IN THE OPEN THE NEXT YEAR!

If a team of players were all capable of winning the team event and/or scotch, they could easily just play the singles, get in the money, donk it off and make money, then repeat, over and over. If all 5 of them played singles and didn't make the top 48, they could all play as a team again in the OPEN.

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
klockdoc,

Got to that point Monday. Looked at the potential downfall of winning a match that would move me to the Advanced group. Actually didn't think of dumping. Just wanted to win. Tuesday morning the same situation occurred when I played the match for 7/8. Honestly did question whether or not I wanted a second visit to the Masters group. Once that match was history, found winning the Open became my only goal. Almost got there. Lost 5/4. Not sure if I'd have beaten either of the guys from Taiwan. It would have been interesting though!

The only people who questioned my finish were my Open teammates. They, like you, saw my participation in our team ending. Should I have dumped? Not a chance. May never have the opportunity again. I'll be back at 68 years young next year. Hope to have the honor to be the oldest active Master player! Already have an Advanced Team lined up. Anyone for Master Scotch Doubles?????

Lyn

68 !?! And the babes are still chasing ya. Or is it the other way around.

But, then there was the old man who used to sit on his porch everyday.
On this particular day, while he was sitting on the porch, he sees this young boy approaching.
The old man says, "What do have there, boy?"
The boy says, "Chicken wire."
The old man says, "What are you going to do with chicken wire?"
The boy says, "I'm going to catch me some chickens!"
The old man says, "You can't catch chickens with chicken wire."
The boy says, "You watch."
About an hour goes by and here comes the boy dragging the chicken wire full of chickens.
The next day, the old man is sitting on the porch when he sees the boy again.
The old man says, "What do have there, boy?"
The boy says, "Duck tape."
The old man says, "What are you going to do with duct tape?"
The boy says, "I'm going to catch me some ducks!"
The old man says, "You can't catch ducks with duct tape."
The boy says, "You watch."
About an hour goes by and here comes the boy dragging the duct tape full of ducks.
The next day, the old man is sitting on the porch and here comes the boy.
The old man says, "What are you going to do with that stick, boy?"
The boy says, "This isn't any ordinary stick."
The old man says, "What do you mean?"
The boy says, "This here is pussy willow!"
The old man says, "Hold on, let me get my hat."

Nice shootin' Cardiac Kid !!!

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
Players that get in the top 16 from team, who DID NOT play singles OR DID get in the top 48 in singles will be bumped individually to ADVANCED.

The issue about dumping is that players can play singles, get to 49th place, triple their entry, dump, and could win the team and/or scotch doubles and make some good money, AND THEY REMAIN IN THE OPEN THE NEXT YEAR!

If a team of players were all capable of winning the team event and/or scotch, they could easily just play the singles, get in the money, donk it off and make money, then repeat, over and over. If all 5 of them played singles and didn't make the top 48, they could all play as a team again in the OPEN.

Don't remember it being like that. I know a team from our area came in 2nd in 2000 and all of them still played Open Singles the following year. All except 1, he came in 2nd in the Seniors.

I haven't played BCAPL since they incorporated the Advanced section. Guess they changed it.

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well lets be serious, it is probably not less. Once you are hitting a golf ball through a windmill you have gone quite far from a "sport".

Jason Kane plays well. He used to play at a higher level but over the years it seems his game dropped some, probably due to a lack of play. He is still a pretty strong player to run into in the open but he is certainly in the realm of a above average to strong "open" player these days at best IMO.

Knowing Jason and having taken him for granted in the past, all I can say is take him for granted at your peril. His top speed is pretty scary. It is true that he may not hit it as much as he used to, but the guy can certainly play.

That being said the Open even is the right level for him at the moment, but he is definitely one of the stronger players in the Open division in my opinion.

briandlau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems that one of the main issues is that players are allowed to cash in this event but at the same time finish low enough to not get moved up. Perhaps the organization should seriously consider paying out less places but also migrating all paid finishers to a higher level. For example, you would need to get to final board in order to get paid but it would also guarantee that next year, you would be minimally required to play in the advanced.

I might get flamed for this since it might deter many of the weaker players from playing as well as changing the team structure. It seems like the team structure should be reconsidered anyway, no?

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Don't remember it being like that. I know a team from our area came in 2nd in 2000 and all of them still played Open Singles the following year. All except 1, he came in 2nd in the Seniors.

I haven't played BCAPL since they incorporated the Advanced section. Guess they changed it.

I was on a Master's Team that got 1st, 2nd and 3rd and I am still an Open player (I didn't hit a ball on the team's that got 1st or 2nd). ----- and rightfully so.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member

For the ladies Open Team, we placed first. We were all five Open players and all five of us are now Advanced Players because we won the event. Actually, the top 4 Women's Open Teams are now in this same situation. Individually, we can ONLY be moved down to the Open again if we petition to the BCAPL and it's approved.