John Schmidt at BullShooters

thebark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tune in at noon Az time for John's last day at BullShooters. I think he is saving the best for last.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
AWESOME NUMBERS, TOTALLY UN-HUMANLIKE...

I Think a re-count may be needed. we all think it was 464 !!

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
John Schmidt is a rare talent indeed. I don't think I've ever heard of a modern age player putting up such huge numbers, with such consistency. The funny thing is, he gets out of line and makes outrageous shots one after the other hardly missing any of those extreme shots. I've never seen anything like it.

I like to watch other straight pool players for inspiration for my patterns, but he's made a convert out of me. When such shotmaking is possible, it's an inspiration to work on ones stroke and consistency. What a player.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt is a rare talent indeed. I don't think I've ever heard of a modern age player putting up such huge numbers, with such consistency. The funny thing is, he gets out of line and makes outrageous shots one after the other hardly missing any of those extreme shots. I've never seen anything like it.

I like to watch other straight pool players for inspiration for my patterns, but he's made a convert out of me. When such shotmaking is possible, it's an inspiration to work on ones stroke and consistency. What a player.
Straightpool99: Your own passion for the game is equally an inspiration and is almost certainly contagious to newcomers to Straight Pool itself.

Thanks for thereby evangelizing and encouraging, as many of us 14-1 addictees do at every opportunity, having grown up on the game and seeing many of the former masters. John Schmidt will be widely recognized as being in their company -- possessing as he plainly does: their same skills, dedication, and most important, their rare capacity for the sustained excellence (and creativity) that virtually defines what underlies truly great Straight Pool performances whether in exhibitions or major tournaments.

Arnaldo

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think John is going to revitalize interest in 14.1, and I think that's great. I have no idea why the game died, but anything that helps bring it back is A-OK by me.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, John's stay at Bull Shooters just ended. No super runs today, but he had 3 good ones -- 172, 169, and 169.

I counted 19 attempts for the day. But for several of those, his BIH opening break shot did not offer as high a probability of success as would many other break shots. He put the CB behind the head string on his right side and the OB a bit above the head string close to the right rail. So he cut the OB a bit to the left to the foot-rail pocket on that side and sent the OB with inside english off the right rail into (or past) the rack. This produced a run of 53 once, but also runs of 3, 0, 1, and 1. Just having some fun, I guess.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, John's stay at Bull Shooters just ended. No super runs today, but he had 3 good ones -- 172, 169, and 169.

I counted 19 attempts for the day. But for several of those, his BIH opening break shot did not offer as high a probability of success as would many other break shots. He put the CB behind the head string on his right side and the OB a bit above the head string close to the right rail. So he cut the OB a bit to the left to the foot-rail pocket on that side and sent the OB with inside english off the right rail into (or past) the rack. This produced a run of 53 once, but also runs of 3, 0, 1, and 1. Just having some fun, I guess.
Just before his 464 he tried a sideways masse from along the head cushion. It would have been an excellent start to the 464 that few would complain about.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just before his 464 he tried a sideways masse from along the head cushion. It would have been an excellent start to the 464 that few would complain about.

My notes put that attempt about 3½ hours before the big run, right after he scratched on the break shot at 168. He scratched on the massé, too; a zero run.

He tried another opening break shot like that, maybe a few days ago (no notes on that one), but it was from behind the pack. I think it was unsuccessful, too.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another thought about John's personal-best run. He had been playing for about 5 hours before that run started, pocketing (by my count) 1,066 balls. And the big run took another 2¾ hours. So he played for something like 7¾ hours and pocketed over 1,500 balls that day. Just playing that long at his pace is something, but to have his best run ever after already playing for 5 hours -- doubly remarkable.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My notes put that attempt about 3½ hours before the big run, right after he scratched on the break shot at 168. ...
You are probably right. In looking for the start of the 464 I got turned around a couple of times. I don't like Facebook's video interface at all. Or does someone know how to do single-frame advance and such on Facebook videos?

thebark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday April 17 was Jon's last day. He had 3 more runs over 100 with the highest being 172. His totals for 22 days of play averaging 6 hours a day: 132 hours 75 runs over 100 over 200 14 over 300 6 over 400 1 with the high being 464. He averaged approximately 1100 to 1200 balls a day, and he gave maximum effort whether the run was 14 balls or 400. He made the last 4 weeks at BullShooters very exciting. Good luck to John next week at the US Open 9ball.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Very impressive effort. Does anyone have the average run number? How many low runs with a miss did he have?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are probably right. In looking for the start of the 464 I got turned around a couple of times. I don't like Facebook's video interface at all. Or does someone know how to do single-frame advance and such on Facebook videos?

Use recording program. Then you can have it for your own and can use it with any program..

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very impressive effort. Does anyone have the average run number? How many low runs with a miss did he have?

If someone was keeping track of all his runs, I haven't heard about it yet. For a while, I thought I might go through the videos (at an accelerated speed) and do that. But I did it for the last two days and learned that quite a few of the attempts started with less than an ideal BIH break shot. It seemed that sometimes John just tried weird and/or difficult opening break shots for the fun of it rather than trying to optimize the results of the break.

So statistics on his mean or median runs, or, say, on the percentage of his attempts that were 100+, would be compromised by those "for the fun of it" starts. But some of those starts could result in a high run, so it wouldn't be right to just make subjective decisions to ignore some of them.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can the 464 facebook feed be cut and put on youtube? Or does facebook not allow that? That run needs to be made available for everyone to see.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Use recording program. Then you can have it for your own and can use it with any program..
Yes, that is what I nearly did but I'm paying for bandwidth right now. It will be better when it's available on YouTube for everyone.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited: