Who will be ready to play the same game with Shane now?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Has anyone seen Wu play a significant amount of 10-ball? He is probably the best hard-breaking 9-ball player, and he is top 3 in the world after the break, but I wonder how competitive his 10-ball break would be in a long match? I've just never really seen him play 10-ball in the past few years since people have solved the break.

People haven't solved the break, what they HAVE done is realize they need to make a better effort of PRACTICING the break in order to be ABLE to compete with todays players...who've BEEN practicing the break all along!!

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing so often overlooked when talking about Shane's break is how he hits the balls at about 60% of his capacity. I think a lot of pros can work on increasing their speed and try to emulate Shane's break, where he hits them around 22 mph. Heck even I can hit them that hard if I hit them really good AND I'm consistently working on my break, but that's at about 100% of my capacity. I think a lot of these other guys really don't have the luxury of hitting them "As soft" as SVB does. So for so many these guys to break the balls this well they really need to be able to hit them at 30 mph and then be able to back off. There aren't too many top tier players that can do this.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People haven't solved the break, what they HAVE done is realize they need to make a better effort of PRACTICING the break in order to be ABLE to compete with todays players...who've BEEN practicing the break all along!!

I mean, whatever. I just meant people know how to rack and make the balls behind the 1 and the 4 railers consistently while controlling the 1 near the corner. My question is: how is Wu's 10-ball break? Anyone seen it recently? He's obviously as good or better than SVB after the break.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
When he plays Filler, you've got action.

I'll take Filler for $2k

I'm sorry, did you think I was throwing up a bet or something? I was making a point, that being...sick of hearing names thrown around as that don't mean shit, get one of them names....ANY of them names in with Shane, because it all sounds like everyone's screaming my dicks bigger than your dick......well hell, whip it out boys, let's just see about that!!

I don't give a shit about the gambling part of this game, ALL of you that bet, make money off the players, but not ONE of you sends the players a dime in the mail and a thank you!!!!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'm sorry, did you think I was throwing up a bet or something? I was making a point, that being...sick of hearing names thrown around as that don't mean shit, get one of them names....ANY of them names in with Shane, because it all sounds like everyone's screaming my dicks bigger than your dick......well hell, whip it out boys, let's just see about that!!

I don't give a shit about the gambling part of this game, ALL of you that bet, make money off the players, but not ONE of you sends the players a dime in the mail and a thank you!!!!

And we dont ask for $ back when we lose either.

How much money have you sent pro athletes?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis came in last night from Virginia. He told me he played bad and Shane broke a lot better than him. We went to breakfast today and he told me that after he is here for over two months he begins to get tired and weak from eating all the American food that he is not used to. He said that he plays okay for the first two months he is here and then his game begins to go down. I reminded him he just got 9-12th in the International Open and he once again said he played bad.

He has been practicing his Ten Ball break on my table, maybe for three hours now. I don't bother him too much when he is practicing but I just asked him what happened when he asked Shane to play One Pocket after the match. He told me that he asked Shane to play and that his backer would bet 100K. He said Shane just shook his head and said no.

I won't fault Shane for turning him down. He just made a nice score and has no reason to risk it. Dennis made a little money off the stream and live gate so he won't go home empty handed. He is going to get some rest at home, swim in the ocean (his favorite exercise) and get ready for the SEA Games in December. If he medals there (Gold, Silver or Bronze) he will get a nice award from the Philippine government. It could be as much as one million pesos ($20,000) for winning a Gold medal. He'll be rested up and ready to go again in January for DCC.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis came in last night from Virginia. He told me he played bad and Shane broke a lot better than him. We went to breakfast today and he told me that after he is here for over two months he begins to get tired and weak from eating all the American food that he is not used to. He said that he plays okay for the first two months he is here and then his game begins to go down. I reminded him he just got 9-12th in the International Open and he once again said he played bad.

He has been practicing his Ten Ball break on my table, maybe for three hours now. I don't bother him too much when he is practicing but I just asked him what happened when he asked Shane to play One Pocket after the match. He told me that he asked Shane to play and that his backer would bet 100K. He said Shane just shook his head and said no.

I won't fault Shane for turning him down. He just made a nice score and has no reason to risk it. Dennis made a little money off the stream and live gate so he won't go home empty handed. He is going to get some rest at home, swim in the ocean (his favorite exercise) and get ready for the SEA Games in December. If he medals there (Gold, Silver or Bronze) he will get a nice award from the Philippine government. It could be as much as one million pesos ($20,000) for winning a Gold medal. He'll be rested up and ready to go again in January for DCC.

I think SVB was wise to pass on DO's offer.

I would like to see DO and Alex play 1hole. To me, that would be one hell of a match.

What does DO think he could give SVB and still be the favorite in 1hole?

BTW, tell Dennis that Roadman said he was thinking about taking his advice and trying his luck as a referee....Just kidding..lol......BACK STORY:

The last Rocket City Open that DO played in, he was playing most everyone but, Roadman was asking for waayyy to much. They couldn't make a game. After the negotiations stopped, lol...Dennis said "Roadman would make a great ref, he is very nitpicky".

Ever since that night, I call Roadman "The Ref".....he gets pissy every time.

After Roadman and DO's negotiations failed, DO offered me 4 games on wire
going to 11 in 10 ball, wooden rack, rack your own and winner break for $300.

I lost the set 9 to 11 but, won $2,500 off the rail. The rail bet me I wouldn't get to 8. The owner Sam made out like a bandit on that one (he had $$$$$$ on the side). He had me making it to 8 before DO got out. Cant remember for sure but, I'm fairly certain the bet was 9k with two different rail birds.

I would like to see DO get his break right. If he did, he would be a very dangerous opponent in 10 ball. Not as dangerous as he is in 1hole though....whew..I get nervous just thinking about that one.

Jeff

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think SVB was wise to pass on DO's offer.

I would like to see DO and Alex play 1hole. To me, that would be one hell of a match.

What does DO think he could give SVB and still be the favorite in 1hole?

BTW, tell Dennis that Roadman said he was thinking about taking his advice and trying his luck as a referee....Just kidding..lol......BACK STORY:

The last Rocket City Open that DO played in, he was playing most everyone but, Roadman was asking for waayyy to much. They couldn't make a game. After the negotiations stopped, lol...Dennis said "Roadman would make a great ref, he is very nitpicky".

Ever since that night, I call Roadman "The Ref".....he gets pissy every time.

After Roadman and DO's negotiations failed, DO offered me 4 games on wire
going to 11 in 10 ball, wooden rack, rack your own and winner break for $300.

I lost the set 9 to 11 but, won $2,500 off the rail. The rail bet me I wouldn't get to 8. The owner Sam made out like a bandit on that one (he had $$$$$$ on the side). He had me making it to 8 before DO got out. Cant remember for sure but, I'm fairly certain the bet was 9k with two different rail birds.

I would like to see DO get his break right. If he did, he would be a very dangerous opponent in 10 ball. Not as dangerous as he is in 1hole though....whew..I get nervous just thinking about that one.

Jeff

Dennis wouldn't (and shouldn't) give Shane anything at One Pocket. Even 9-8 would be too much imo. They have gambled before (once at my house for 2K) and Dennis won. I think Dennis also beat him at One Hole in a TAR match several years back.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis wouldn't (and shouldn't) give Shane anything at One Pocket. Even 9-8 would be too much imo. They have gambled before (once at my house for 2K) and Dennis won. I think Dennis also beat him at One Hole in a TAR match several years back.
1-Pkt. was part of the TAR 29 all-around match they played in 2012. Dennis won the 1-Pkt. (7-4) and the 10-Ball (25-23), Shane won the 8-Ball (15-11).

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hmm. I figured Dennis's 1hole game was a couple balls better.

I guess I need to watch SVB and see what I evidently have missed when playing 1hole.

Jeff

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lol should I mail a check to Tom Brady for the money he's made me, or better yet should he mail me a check when I lose

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing so often overlooked when talking about Shane's break is how he hits the balls at about 60% of his capacity. I think a lot of pros can work on increasing their speed and try to emulate Shane's break, where he hits them around 22 mph. Heck even I can hit them that hard if I hit them really good AND I'm consistently working on my break, but that's at about 100% of my capacity. I think a lot of these other guys really don't have the luxury of hitting them "As soft" as SVB does. So for so many these guys to break the balls this well they really need to be able to hit them at 30 mph and then be able to back off. There aren't too many top tier players that can do this.
I'd say he's hitting them about 75 % give or take I doubt he can break much past 30 mph if that on his best swing , MD I think has a mid 30s Puttman and Nevel same ball park and I think the record is Busty at 37
The fact is he hits excatly the right speed to get a repeatable outcome time and time again with a magic rack no checking he's got that figured out pretty well Id say ,, that's why there is a post of Shaw taking a picture of the rack on his phone

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1p, Dennis could give Shane 4 games on the wire to 40 and I doubt Shane would go for it.

Dennis is 10 ahead on T-rex by 25. That's pretty damn strong.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like Shane made a good score over 3 days of playing and win or lose he made the smart move.. Shane isn’t your typical broke pool player for a reason.