Right eye dominate, but play left handed?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What if I play with my non dominate hand, and learned from a youngster to play that way?

Do you think it would have been easier for me? Because I had no idea on how to hold a

stick, but figured that the important part, was the part closest to the cue ball.. I cut two

of my tendons in my bridge hand, and played with my dominate hand for about 3 months.

I could not make anything, that is until I moved my vision center to where it should be.

Now not afraid of any shot, other than a powerful break, or stroke shot. Play patterns

better too, because I do not have the capabilities to move whitey all around the table...

And that aspect alone helped me out tremendously. No reason not to shoot with both

hands, nothing but good things will come from it.

learning anything as a kid will come naturally
think about leaning a second language
as a kid you learn it and dont have much accent
as an adult you will probably have an accent even if you become fluent
so you can learn as an adult but it takes more work
i agree with
"No reason not to shoot with both

hands, nothing but good things will come from it."
i am trying to learn to play left handed now
my stroke looks like a slinky its so wobbly right now.....:embarrassed2:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Here’s my two cents (Canadian...which is only 1.51 cents American)

I’m right-handed and right-eyed....but I never cared...somebody told me.
...you aren’t always going to do things the same way..your diet, how you slept, your
activities from day to day can change how you perceive things.

I’ve ran 100s at snooker shooting out of my left eye (it’s lazy) and I’ve seen pictures where
I’m lined up dead center....but usually my cue is slightly on the right side of my chin.

The trick is to look at the shot the best way you know how....
...and bring your cue to your vision.
You’ll have fewer days when you just can’t seem to line up.

JuanM

Eye dominance is way overrated.
now there's an interesting comment

almost-full cut shots used to give me fits. aligning vision center was a pretty huge part of learning to deal with this.

when i shoot lefty, i have to hook my chin on the other side of the cue to get my center in the right spot. if i dont, my brain starts trying to sort the picture out and i start going crosseyed. very disorienting.
Here's the deal, I started playing pool without much instruction, and randomly started playing left handed. Now I am trying to become more serious with my game and am wondering if it's worth switching to my right hand, as I am right eye dominate. Do you guys think the switch is justified? Or would I be better off staying with whats comfortable and playing left handed?

Thanks!
both hands.

Geosnookery

I shoot both left and right and never think about dominant eye. The best player to have ever picked up a cue, Ronnin OSullivan is the same...as is the best ever female player , Reanne Evans. In an interview neither claim any adjustments. They both shot both ways from an early age. Reanne says it’s because she was too lazy to use the rest and nothing to do with it being ‘natural’.

We spend a lifetime subconsciously adjusting our vision to the world be it catching a ball, shooting a puck or using a billiards cue. It’s ok to be aware of it but best not to obsess. I likely adjust depending if shooting left or right but never consciously think about it.

L.S. Dennis

As I’ve mentioned before, Jim Rempe shoots like this, he even teaches it in one of his old videos.
As a right handed player I’ve tried switching for directly under the middle of the chin to shading toward my right dominant eye, from time to time. One day it works best and then the other it seems like I can’t make a ball that way and I end up switching back. I wish I’d never heard of this dominant eye thing it’s hurt my game for years switching back and forth.

JuanM

i started playin lefty almost from the beginning, read about doing it in Byrne's standard or advanced i think. just dabbled. i doubt i lined up any better that way than playin regular then.

in Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain there are exercises where you do portraits upside down... got to thinking after reading this thread, maybe try somthing similar.
practiced a bit with dominant eye covered.

i like to practice every so often eyes closed. its very peaceful, calming for me. Not this. it sucked. was flirting with a headache after a few minutes.
idk if there is any possible benefit to this but its unpleasant enough i wont be wasting too much time on it.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the deal, I started playing pool without much instruction, and randomly started playing left handed. Now I am trying to become more serious with my game and am wondering if it's worth switching to my right hand, as I am right eye dominate. Do you guys think the switch is justified? Or would I be better off staying with whats comfortable and playing left handed?
Hand and eye dominance should not dictate your personal best and most effective approach to the game. For more info and help, see:

Enjoy, and good luck!

Geosnookery

i started playin lefty almost from the beginning, read about doing it in Byrne's standard or advanced i think. just dabbled. i doubt i lined up any better that way than playin regular then.

in Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain there are exercises where you do portraits upside down... got to thinking after reading this thread, maybe try somthing similar.
practiced a bit with dominant eye covered.

i like to practice every so often eyes closed. its very peaceful, calming for me. Not this. it sucked. was flirting with a headache after a few minutes.
idk if there is any possible benefit to this but its unpleasant enough i wont be wasting too much time on it.
Ronnie sights like a leftie. ‘Whatever’ brain side likely has something to do with cueing ability or strategy. I have no idea what.

There is a way over representation of lefties at the top ranks of snooker. At one time last year all four players in the semi finals were lefties. The odds of this is 1×10×10×10×10. Left handed advantage can be explainable in sports like boxing and tennis where one’s opponent is less likely to have had as much experience against lefties as righties in blocking a punch or returning a serve. However, difficult to explain in Snooker where the table is symmetrical.

We lefties are also over represented in math and physics. Perhaps we see the ball layout a bit differently. Then again, although good in math, I likely bring the leftie average down on the Snooker table 😊...I’ve been beat by righties for 52 years.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am right handed, play left handed and I'm right eye dominate. Similar to John Morra, when he was playing right handed, my head is crossed over the cue to line up with my right eye. I've been playing since 2004 (took a year off here and there) Fargo of 680+ and have won a few tournaments locally here and there. I average 50hour work weeks, family time etc... still manage to get in roughly 10 hours of practice weekly, and do well in tournaments. I find time management and not wasting it is key. It's real tough for me to practice sometimes, especially if I hit the sofa after work, but just have to keep at it. I wouldn't switch, If I can do it, you can do it.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check Dr Dave's link, it's a good starting point.
Dominant eye is misunderstood at best, you should be better off finding your visual/aiming center.

I play left handed, left eye dominant but my right eye is my aiming eye.
Can play ok right handed, I am ambidextrous as well so that may play a part in my visual perceptions.

Ocular dominance is about transmission of precise information than which eye is aiming, if only it was so simple.
For some the dominant eye is the same as the aiming eye for others it is not.

Pool Hand Luke

I play right handed, left eye dominant. Semi ambidextrous, so shooting lefty is no issue and sometimes even an advantage. For example, I get twice or more the distance drawing the ball lefty as I do righty. Not sure why this is.

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am right handed and right eye dominant but play pool left handed. As long as I am aligned over the shot correctly none of the other stuff matters.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the greatest players in the world shoot / shot under the “opposite eye.

Mosconi
Cisero
Buddy Hall
Jayson Shaw
Mark Selby

Just to name a few off the top of my head.
Wu is right-eye dominant. He does OK
If my fargo was about 180 points higher, I could make the list : (