Help needed I want to refinish an old Dufferin one piece

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are blowing this out of proportion I feel. I have about 30 duffrins and I want this to be a fun project. Im not looking to build a cue of a life time just my first one. Lets start with east questions.

Can anyone explain how to remove the slight wobble both with a lathe and without.

Thanks.

Actually, ... no. slight or not, the cue is warped. Almost certainly in the shaft.
You MAY be able to sand it down enough that it is straight for a time.
But it will warp again.

I promise.

Dalle

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I didn't see any "Less than positive advice" given to you. What I saw was people explaining that what you want to do while not impossible is certainly not an easy task, especially for someone who has never done the kind of work required in such an undertaking.

You are asking a group of people who produce products that sell for not normally hundreds of dollars but usually thousands, people who have invested tens of thousands of dollars in machinery, tools, materials and various odds and ends so they can produce these products. These people have also invested thousands of hours learning their trade and by doing so have made all the mistakes and learned from them what they are by their comments hoping to help you avoid.

As I said what you want to do is not impossible but you have to remember that in the blink of an eye you can turn that prized cue of yours into nothing more than some kindling wood for the fireplace.

With that said, the best advice I can give you is to spend some money and buy the Cueman cue building and repair DVD's they will at the very least give you a wealth of knowledge that you will most certainly need to tackle this endeavor.

Ya think?

Can we make this post a sticky please?

Dale

rbpwrd240

Sponsored Player
Silver Member
Actually, ... no. slight or not, the cue is warped. Almost certainly in the shaft.
You MAY be able to sand it down enough that it is straight for a time.
But it will warp again.

I promise.

Dalle

Again I am not building a sugar tree or Joss West or TAD just a house cue to keep at my local bar box watering hole as my first foray into playing with cues.

How about you explain why it will warp again that seems very useful.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again I am not building a sugar tree or Joss West or TAD just a house cue to keep at my local bar box watering hole as my first foray into playing with cues.

How about you explain why it will warp again that seems very useful.

Here, let me Google that for you:

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/why-wood-warps

So, is it normally your policy to keep asking the same question until you get the answer you want?

Re-read the post by cnyncrvr .

No one is saying you should not try your hand at a bit of cue maintenance and repair.

If you have 30 Duffs, pick another one that can be the bar box implement you desire.

Consider:

1. tip and ferrule - Dufferins are notorious for loose ferrules because they were pounded on like the brass ferrules on Snooker cues.

2. dents and refinish - this is a difficult task due to the brittle clear coat they used.
Sanding small spots down to the bare wood to get at a dent is a big job.

3, Reducing the shaft diameter - a touchy job even with a lathe. Sanding will work,
but it is far from a straightforward chore.

Dale

rbpwrd240

Sponsored Player
Silver Member
Here, let me Google that for you:

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/why-wood-warps

So, is it normally your policy to keep asking the same question until you get the answer you want?

Re-read the post by cnyncrvr .

No one is saying you should not try your hand at a bit of cue maintenance and repair.

If you have 30 Duffs, pick another one that can be the bar box implement you desire.

Consider:

1. tip and ferrule - Dufferins are notorious for loose ferrules because they were pounded on like the brass ferrules on Snooker cues.

2. dents and refinish - this is a difficult task due to the brittle clear coat they used.
Sanding small spots down to the bare wood to get at a dent is a big job.

3, Reducing the shaft diameter - a touchy job even with a lathe. Sanding will work,
but it is far from a straightforward chore.

Dale

The google link didnt answer my question, my question is if the wood is warped and straitened why will it re warp. Especially if it has already dried for years and years.

Im not too worried about taking out the dents that should be fairly straight forward. Steam the wood in small spots to expand and then sand down the overage. As for the refinish Im really only worried about what the best coating would be.

Im not sure why you have such a snippy attitude. Either help or dont that choice is yours. It seems to me cue makers maybe dont want to give out their prized info and I can understand that but this has gone from helping me on a small project to a small witch hunt.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
warped shaft

Here's the prized info Cuemakers are hiding; go to the shaft rack and pick out a straight shaft. :) Hope this helps.

Mario

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Dude, just do whatever you plan in doing.
You want a step by step instructions in your own journey?
Just do it. Discovery will be your biggest reward.
Frankly, if I had 30 Duffs, I'd chop one for butt and one for shaft.

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since it seems that you wont listen to anyone and feel everyone is attacking you when no one actually is this discussion is pointless.

You have been given opinions, advice, and guidance for everything you have asked, you however do not like, agree, or accept that and therefore you feel like we are attacking you which we are not.

In closing I will give you one last piece of advice and then I am done with this thread.

Go buy a really cheap $20 to $30 dollar house cue from amazon, ebay, your local billiards retailer and practice all aspects of what you want to do on your Dufferin. See how the operations come out and decide if you feel you can achieve your goal for the Dufferin based on the results of the cheap house cue.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Are you considering that you may be grossly under estimating the task? Your desired results will dictate your methods. As for the warp, it did so because of internal stress. Cut it straight again will not remove the stress, so it will warp again. I say good luck and echo Joey in saying just dive in and do it. You'll learn how easy it is not, and will gain knowledge you can't get from reading.

rbpwrd240

Sponsored Player
Silver Member
Dude, just do whatever you plan in doing.
You want a step by step instructions in your own journey?
Just do it. Discovery will be your biggest reward.
Frankly, if I had 30 Duffs, I'd chop one for butt and one for shaft.

I already have Tom from tripple cross cues doing that for me.:cool:

rbpwrd240

Sponsored Player
Silver Member
Since it seems that you wont listen to anyone and feel everyone is attacking you when no one actually is this discussion is pointless.

You have been given opinions, advice, and guidance for everything you have asked, you however do not like, agree, or accept that and therefore you feel like we are attacking you which we are not.

In closing I will give you one last piece of advice and then I am done with this thread.

Go buy a really cheap $20 to $30 dollar house cue from amazon, ebay, your local billiards retailer and practice all aspects of what you want to do on your Dufferin. See how the operations come out and decide if you feel you can achieve your goal for the Dufferin based on the results of the cheap house cue.

I already have thousands in cues. I dont need a cheap cue to go play with this is about me working on a cue....

JC

Coos Cues
Are all 30 of them warped? Why complicate your project adding that problem. Choose a different one.

JC

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"As I said what you want to do is not impossible but you have to remember that in the blink of an eye you can turn that prized cue of yours into nothing more than some kindling wood for the fireplace. "

a friend has one of his new Tascarella shafts in a repair lathe. In "the blink of an eye" said shaft came loose on one end and impacted here and there and shattered indiscriminately (criminally?) into useless shards of expensive crap. like myself, he didn't have the experience to do what he wanted to.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I already have thousands in cues. I dont need a cheap cue to go play with this is about me working on a cue....

I think what Joey was saying was.... Go buy a cheap cue and do the same work to it that you are wanting to do to the Dufferin... Then you will have a feel for what lies ahead...