We're cyclop balls replaced by dynasphere? Any reviews on dynasphere?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tempted by the platinum, went cheap first!

They claim tighter spec's than anyone but even that listing is confusing and a bit contradictory. Hardness greater than or equal to 56Rockwell on the E scale? it also lists hardness as 59R.

Weight: I have seen 1.5 grams maximum deviation and 1.5 grams plus or minus. Three grams is getting to be a lot for our purposes.

Not sure how they measure the maximum deviation of diameter and roundness. Can a ball be .08mm maximum difference in diameter including the .04mm out of round or can it be .08mm difference in diameter plus have .04mm out of roundness for a potential .012mm total difference in size by some measurements?

I ordered a set so I'll see how they play for myself. The tolerances are a little scary but hopefully they under promise and deliver better than the minimum. The reviews seem very positive. I'm always a little leery after receiving a fairly decent quality lathe chuck by reputation. It had a long set of specifications like these balls and it was at maximum runout on every tolerance listed. The end result was a chuck no better than a much cheaper chuck and after spending hours cutting a zero tolerance face plate to mount the chuck I had to cut the face plate back and do some precision adjusting on that chuck with a five pound rubber hammer!

These balls are interesting. I have to admit I am underwhelmed by the appearance of all the dynasphere balls but I suspect I can get used to the rotors if they are genuinely the best balls out there.

Shipping is supposed to be five to seven days but I'll see them when I see them, sellers can ship promptly but after that we are all at the mercy of the shipping companies.

Hu

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For you folks looking into the Dynasphere specs within this thread, and wondering how they may compare to a couple of the very best Aramith sets (and their low priced Crown Standard set), I can offer these perspectives.....

*a few things worth noting: all numbers are in GRAMS, not ounces (1 ounce = 28.35 grams); the scale I use is calibrated and tested before each use; I zero out the tare value before each ball is placed onto the scale; Each ball is weighed once again after a full set has been completed; for comparison, a $100 dollar bill weighs in at 0.9 grams; this is simply a comparison of weights from ball sets within my personal collection. Period.

ebbed89f7e2f77d8edf95ce15ed4591c.plist
2cdaf8ee3e2acaea39bb0c47f59e6072.plist

The ball sets compared:
DYNASPHERE
- Tungsten (cheapest @ $79)
- Silver
- Gold
- Platinum

ARAMITH
- Crown Standard (cheapest @ $125)
- Tournament
- Black

Here’s the chart:

7cbfa341c1bf86ebe18444bc4e4d1c0b.plist

And the takeaway:

The cheapest Dynasphere TUNGSTEN balls exceed every spec of ANY Aramith ball set at any price that I’m able to measure with extreme accuracy.

The Dynasphere GOLD ball set is closest to traditional colors and has the tightest tolerances of any ball set I’ve measured. Bar none.

Every cue ball within the complete range of Dynasphere ball sets that I own play perfectly. And I mean perfect as in “without flaw”. I’ve never seen a skid in 100+ hours of play amongst them all because you never see chalk residue on the ball - and I’ve never miscued. Their formulations are borderline sorcery. Hard to believe, I know. You’d have to experience it to believe it.

All of this from an avid Aramith ball fan.

Lastly, the difference between the worst and best ball set range is the weight of a dollar bill in your pocket. Any denomination. On the table, and in play, I’d say that makes weights of modern ball sets an irrelevant issue. Each to their own.

It probably comes down to issues of price and looks. A good player can make balls no matter the variations. IMHO.

Platinum
5f83f780c1c1fc680298e4764b8fd3bf.plist

Gold
9db85e4fbc1251652f4d2368a752c5f4.plist

Silver
66b25fb10daba5b8cf2f6a28ead3fdac.plist

Tungsten
5056476de0bacca20e731792e8b78d52.plist

Play well, my friends!

~ K.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All those balls are within manuf. tolerances. You'll never notice the tiny differences during play. If it wasn't for the bird-turd colored 6/14 they wouldn't be too bad. Wonder why they chose that funky grey color??

Last edited:

NE dubz

Registered
Played with em yesterday at Amazin Billiards in Malden MA and they play pretty nice... took a bit extra effort to get used to the gray/teal -6/7 balls but performance wise they were great... I’ll stick with my Aramith tournament balls at home, but if I needed new ones I would think about switching

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played with em yesterday at Amazin Billiards in Malden MA and they play pretty nice... took a bit extra effort to get used to the gray/teal -6/7 balls but performance wise they were great... I’ll stick with my Aramith tournament balls at home, but if I needed new ones I would think about switching

What set did you play with, Tungsten or Platinum?
I looked on a few web sites and the Platinum cost just as much as Tournament balls. I tried to find a Gold set because they have normal TV colors.

Just found them on Olhausen web site, but the colors and description don’t match Dynasphere web site

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For you folks looking into the Dynasphere specs within this thread, and wondering how they may compare to a couple of the very best Aramith sets (and their low priced Crown Standard set), I can offer these perspectives.....

*a few things worth noting: all numbers are in GRAMS, not ounces (1 ounce = 28.35 grams); the scale I use is calibrated and tested before each use; I zero out the tare value before each ball is placed onto the scale; Each ball is weighed once again after a full set has been completed; for comparison, a $100 dollar bill weighs in at 0.9 grams; this is simply a comparison of weights from ball sets within my personal collection. Period.

ebbed89f7e2f77d8edf95ce15ed4591c.plist
2cdaf8ee3e2acaea39bb0c47f59e6072.plist

The ball sets compared:
DYNASPHERE
- Tungsten (cheapest @ $79)
- Silver
- Gold
- Platinum

ARAMITH
- Crown Standard (cheapest @ $125)
- Tournament
- Black

Here’s the chart:

7cbfa341c1bf86ebe18444bc4e4d1c0b.plist

And the takeaway:

The cheapest Dynasphere TUNGSTEN balls exceed every spec of ANY Aramith ball set at any price that I’m able to measure with extreme accuracy.

The Dynasphere GOLD ball set is closest to traditional colors and has the tightest tolerances of any ball set I’ve measured. Bar none.

Every cue ball within the complete range of Dynasphere ball sets that I own play perfectly. And I mean perfect as in “without flaw”. I’ve never seen a skid in 100+ hours of play amongst them all because you never see chalk residue on the ball - and I’ve never miscued. Their formulations are borderline sorcery. Hard to believe, I know. You’d have to experience it to believe it.

All of this from an avid Aramith ball fan.

Lastly, the difference between the worst and best ball set range is the weight of a dollar bill in your pocket. Any denomination. On the table, and in play, I’d say that makes weights of modern ball sets an irrelevant issue. Each to their own.

It probably comes down to issues of price and looks. A good player can make balls no matter the variations. IMHO.

Platinum
5f83f780c1c1fc680298e4764b8fd3bf.plist

Gold
9db85e4fbc1251652f4d2368a752c5f4.plist

Silver
66b25fb10daba5b8cf2f6a28ead3fdac.plist

Tungsten
5056476de0bacca20e731792e8b78d52.plist

Play well, my friends!

~ K.

Great post, sir. Thank you for sharing. I'd be curious to see how the Platinums shape up against a set of Hyperions. We all know they are manufactured by the same company.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Just ordered the Tungsten set.

I am amazed at the difference in pricing of Tungsten vs Gold and Platinum. It appears to me that it reflects the machine work to add the features.

My theory is the Tungsten set being the simplest has fewer opportunitys to get out of tolerance.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Wonder why they chose that funky grey color??
I guess people are still looking for a set of colors that works on TV. I think they need to put the 3/5 red/orange further apart. The 4/5 pink/orange on some sets is very hard for me to distinguish. And there is always the 6/8 darkGreen/black in poor lighting.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pictures of the balls in that comparison don't match the official dynasphere website. On the website, the gold and silver sets look almost identical and the tungsten isn't even listed. The pictures on this thread show a very distinct difference between the gold / silver.

Either there marketing dept is behind, or they are still working on final designs and aren't ready for market yet. I also see they have champion cloth as there US distributor, but there are no signs of the balls on champion's website.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adrian Wang is mentioned as the son of XinBiing Rubber's owner on the website "about us" page. They also own Vigma, I believe. Maybe they are making the balls in China for this Belgian company. That Hyatt Ball company Bob Simpson helped them develop higher phenolic content is also mentioned.

Vigma? So close to a great name. Some day I’ll start a ball brand: Ligma.

Ligma balls.

Dynaspheres USA

Verified Business Rep
Dynasphere confusion

So let me set the record straight here on the Dynaspheres. Championship, LLC is the sole exclusive distributor for North America. The Tungsten, Bronze, and Silver sets were made specifically for the US. That is why you are not seeing them on the Dynaspheres Europe website. The US website will be up and running soon and will show a total of 5 different sets. The US website will be https://us.dynaspheres.com. Cyclops will now have their ball set made by Aramith. The only thing produced at the "old" Cyclops factory is Dynaspheres. All new technology and the Hyatt process. And the highest grade Phenolic resin available. The difference in price depends on the detail on the ball set itself. All or most of Championships Distributors either are already carrying the balls or will be soon.

My name is Mike Serra, Vice President of Championship, LLC, and my direct phone is 847-677-4055 if anyone want to know the process and the truth. There have been a lot of ignorant comments and false truths spread about Dynaspheres. We know where its coming from and we completely expected it. So feel free to give me a call or email me at mikes@champbilliards.com and I will be happy to tell you the truth.

I'm sure these fine professionals will tell you their opinion.

Shane Van Boening
LoreeJon Hasson
Del Sim
Jake Lawson, Break -out Billiards Apparel
Thorsten Hohmann

And I can help you find the set you are looking for.

Peace

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
welcome!

So let me set the record straight here on the Dynaspheres. Championship, LLC is the sole exclusive distributor for North America. The Tungsten, Bronze, and Silver sets were made specifically for the US. That is why you are not seeing them on the Dynaspheres Europe website. The US website will be up and running soon and will show a total of 5 different sets. The US website will be https://us.dynaspheres.com. Cyclops will now have their ball set made by Aramith. The only thing produced at the "old" Cyclops factory is Dynaspheres. All new technology and the Hyatt process. And the highest grade Phenolic resin available. The difference in price depends on the detail on the ball set itself. All or most of Championships Distributors either are already carrying the balls or will be soon.

My name is Mike Serra, Vice President of Championship, LLC, and my direct phone is 847-677-4055 if anyone want to know the process and the truth. There have been a lot of ignorant comments and false truths spread about Dynaspheres. We know where its coming from and we completely expected it. So feel free to give me a call or email me at mikes@champbilliards.com and I will be happy to tell you the truth.

I'm sure these fine professionals will tell you their opinion.

Shane Van Boening
LoreeJon Hasson
Del Sim
Jake Lawson, Break -out Billiards Apparel
Thorsten Hohmann

And I can help you find the set you are looking for.

Peace

Mike,

Good to hear things straight from the horse's mouth! I bought a set of the tungten's a month or so ago, so far couldn't be happier! They play well and are holding up well in tough conditions.

Hu

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does that sound like Cyclop abandoned a factory to go to Aramith and Dynasphere is just the brand born out of the abandoned factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does that sound like Cyclop abandoned a factory to go to Aramith and Dynasphere is just the brand born out of the abandoned factory?

Huh?? Look, Cyclop was just a name chosen by a Chinese billiard co. to market some balls. The co. that actually makes them is XinBiing.

They are still making the balls but now the co. marketing them is in Europe, Loontjens, and the name is now Dynasphere. Loontjens owns Gabriels tables, Molinari cues and now Dynasphere balls.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huh?? Look, Cyclop was just a name chosen by a Chinese billiard co. to market some balls. The co. that actually makes them is XinBiing.

They are still making the balls but now the co. marketing them is in Europe, Loontjens, and the name is now Dynasphere. Loontjens owns Gabriels tables, Molinari cues and now Dynasphere balls.

I was trying to decipher this comment from above...

c9c32ec24cf028c8fe04f1818d9ca221.jpg

It just sounded in that statement a lot like Valley vs Shelti

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was trying to decipher this comment from above...

c9c32ec24cf028c8fe04f1818d9ca221.jpg

It just sounded in that statement a lot like Valley vs Shelti

No prob. "CYCLOP" was nothing but a brand of ball made by XinBiing. Exactly who distributed them is not exactly clear. WeiluBilliards( Peri cues, Eclat cues, Laili tables,etc.) in China had the Cyclop logo on their site. XinBiing could have dist. them themselves also. Not sure who Diamond dealt with when they first came out. BTW, neither Weilu or Cyclop has re-newed their Chinese gov't. licensing thus their sites are currently dark. Pretty sure Weilu is still in biz but not so for Cyclop. The Dynasphere deal may have killed the name.