Surprised NO one mention Metro Sports Bar-PHX

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Surprised NO one mentioned Metro Sports Bar-PHX

Surprised NO one mention Metro Sports Bar-PHX as I was there yesterday at 10:00 a.m. there is a Sign on the Front Door say their license to sell ALCOHOL has been REVOKED since 8/8/2008, and the place was not the normal busy Friday morning. All they has was a few customers drinking Soft Drinks, Coffee, etc. The normal Off Track Betters were not there. They ARE STILL OPEN, and serving some food on the menu. FYI

Spoke with someone last eve about their Pool Tournament Scheduled for Friday night, and was told apparently no more Pool Tournament until they are able to sell Alcohol again.

So if you are going down for one of the nightly Pool Tournaments it might be a good idea to call ahead to see if it is going to happen.

This is not a good NEWS as Metro Sports Bar had Tournament 7 nights per week, great food, and a lot of employees now who are not work.

FYI.

Last edited:

camargored

Camargo Red Cues
Silver Member
Wow that sucks that was a nice place .i was there for a few months last year .Got a few friends out there still .(mostly Tucson) Six shooters was nice it closed didnt it .I made my round there great area for pool for a hot weather area .pool here drie up when the sun comes out ?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
There were (3) Six Shooters in the Valley in my memory is correct, one in Tempe, became Scoreboards, and closed from a SINK HOLE in the Floor. The One in the West Valley that is closed. Last the one at 35th. Avenue, and Peoria in PHX that closed, and is reopened as BullShooters.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
So no Alexanders or Metros so what's left over in the West Valley?,I know Bullshooters is a nice room but we will see if it draws in all the wanderers who have no place to go now,I am sure Bullshooters will take them all in and hopefully set up tourneys that Metro used to have and give Jazz a place there. :cool:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy...Kolby's #2 on the West side ???

Fast Lenny said:
So no Alexanders or Metros so what's left over in the West Valley?,I know Bullshooters is a nice room but we will see if it draws in all the wanderers who have no place to go now,I am sure Bullshooters will take them all in and hopefully set up tourneys that Metro used to have and give Jazz a place there. :cool:

Lenny,

As far as active, player friendly rooms, not much. Two bars are still very action and league oriented. The Northern is one, (5-7 footers) and Jimbo's
at 51 ave and Cactus is adding 6 more tables to a new expanded area.
Bull was supposed to talk to the owner re; tournaments etc. It's a great sports bar and he promotes his leagues well.
Lets hope Bullshooter's will take up some of the slack. In the past they have not been very player friendly (equipment or otherwise). They have a good chance to improve on that, if they care to.

Dick

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
Lenny,

As far as active, player friendly rooms, not much. Two bars are still very action and league oriented. The Northern is one, (5-7 footers) and Jimbo's
at 51 ave and Cactus is adding 6 more tables to a new expanded area.
Bull was supposed to talk to the owner re; tournaments etc. It's a great sports bar and he promotes his leagues well.
Lets hope Bullshooter's will take up some of the slack. In the past they have not been very player friendly (equipment or otherwise). They have a good chance to improve on that, if they care to.

Dick
Its ashame that the West Valley doesn't have a room like Kolbys over there.Will you be stopping by Bullshooters today for the battle between Roger and Ray?,it would be a pleasure to see you again and maybe you can do some commentary with me for the one hole. ;)

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fast Lenny said:
Its ashame that the West Valley doesn't have a room like Kolbys over there.Will you be stopping by Bullshooters today for the battle between Roger and Ray?,it would be a pleasure to see you again and maybe you can do some commentary with me for the one hole. ;)

deleted, found out.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well Metro is not closed it just can not serve liquor. I hope they get their operation back to normal soon, as Metro is the one place I know of West of Central Avenue, and North of Glendale Avenue with tournaments on Brunswick 4.5 x 9.0's

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't look good !

CocoboloCowboy said:
Well Metro is not closed it just can not serve liquor. I hope they get their operation back to normal soon, as Metro is the one place I know of West of Central Avenue, and North of Glendale Avenue with tournaments on Brunswick 4.5 x 9.0's

It's still up in the air as to whether Metro will remain open. Right now their liquor license is suspended, pending litigation. If it is permanently revoked,
he will almost certainly shut it down. OTB and pool will not support the hefty rent on that place. JMO, hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
It's still up in the air as to whether Metro will remain open. Right now their liquor license is suspended, pending litigation. If it is permanently revoked,
he will almost certainly shut it down. OTB and pool will not support the hefty rent on that place.
Maybe he can appeal it,I hope they do,I hate to see any poolroom close down unless they dont cater to players then I could care less to be honest.Hey Dick you going to swing by Bullshooters today? :smile:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fast Lenny said:
Maybe he can appeal it,I hope they do,I hate to see any poolroom close down unless they dont cater to players then I could care less to be honest.Hey Dick you going to swing by Bullshooters today? :smile:

I'm going to try. Won't be til later if I can. What are they playing first ?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
I'm going to try. Won't be til later if I can. What are they playing first ?
Im not sure to be honest,I think they will flip for who picks the first game and the loser of that game gets choice of the next game.I would think it will be straights or one hole. :smile:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
he will almost certainly shut it down. OTB and pool will not support the hefty rent on that place. JMO, hope I'm wrong.

Sign I saw yesterday at 10:00 am yesterday said "REVOKED":embarrassed2:

rkim99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I was shooting at Metro about two nights a week until last week. The rumor is that the city is busting them for something that happened last year. The rumor also is that the reason the city is pursuing this has to do with the smoking thing earlier this year. I haven't heard whether or not their license is in appeal, but knowing the owner that's probably what he's doing.

Now I'm going to the Northern Lounge as they have tourneys about 5 nights a week.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
I spoke with Jazz about the whole incident. It doesn't have anything to do with the smoking ban. Some kid about 6-8 months ago got killed on his motorcycle after being in Metro. That is why they lost there liquor license for now. They are going through all the avenues to try and get it back. Let's all hope things work out for the best.

Scoreboards, formally Six Shooters in Tempe, folded because the owner was a moron and hid money from his wife and others. He also stiffed all the employees and leagues from there dues. The building was ceased by the owners.

Bullshooters is pretty nice, and has all the potential to be as good as Kolby's. They have tons of tables and more and more good players are hanging around. Tournaments haven't come into the picture too much yet though. The Desert Classic Tour is there this coming weekend and people will get to see how much better it is compared to the old Six Shooters.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
stuckart said:
I spoke with Jazz about the whole incident. It doesn't have anything to do with the smoking ban. Some kid about 6-8 months ago got killed on his motorcycle after being in Metro. That is why they lost there liquor license for now. They are going through all the avenues to try and get it back. Let's all hope things work out for the best.

That is the story Becky the Day Manager told also.

Scoreboards, formally Six Shooters in Tempe, folded because the owner was a moron and hid money from his wife and others. He also stiffed all the employees and leagues from there dues. The building was ceased by the owners.

Oh That is why

Bullshooters is pretty nice, and has all the potential to be as good as Kolby's. They have tons of tables and more and more good players are hanging around. Tournaments haven't come into the picture too much yet though. The Desert Classic Tour is there this coming weekend and people will get to see how much better it is compared to the old Six Shooters.

Agree Bullshooters has all the potential to be as good as Kolby's. But They are have ZERO WEEKLY POOL Tournaments as of today, and their grand open lets say was Dart Orientated with a $1,000.00 Ad Dart Tournament. They they are going after Pool League players in their marketing plan.

Metro Sports Bar was the ONLY Bar/Room where they had nightly Pool Tournaments in the Valley. Both on Bar Boxes, and Big Tables depend upon night of the week. Also Metro Sports Bar was the only place west of Central Avenue with Big Table Tournament, and there equipment was always in great condition.

I look forward to the Pool Tournament starting again real soon at Metro Sports Bar.:thumbup:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy said:
Also Metro Sports Bar was the only place west of Central Avenue with Big Table Tournament, and there equipment was always in great condition.
I have to disagree about the equipment being in great condition,well it might look ok but the tables play bad.They are too fast because the rails aren't set up right,loose and also have bad rolls and I believe they are GC4s,I have never seen Gold Crowns play as bad as these.At Metro you dont need a stroke to move the cue ball,put some of those players at Kolbys on tighter equipment that plays slower and they will play 2 balls under their speed. :cool:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fast Lenny said:
I have to disagree about the equipment being in great condition,well it might look ok but the tables play bad.They are too fast because the rails aren't set up right,loose and also have bad rolls and I believe they are GC4s,I have never seen Gold Crowns play as bad as these.At Metro you dont need a stroke to move the cue ball,put some of those players at Kolbys on tighter equipment that plays slower and they will play 2 balls under their speed. :cool:

You're right Lenny, The equipment at Metro is mediocre at best, but at least they are receptive to tours and small tourneys. Hopefully Bullshooter's will step it up a notch, Bull is working with them to do just that. Then, If Metro wins their case, maybe we'll see a ray of sunshine.Two rooms, supporting 1.75 million, of the valleys population, surely can find enough players to prosper, if they run it right.

Dick

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
You're right Lenny, The equipment at Metro is mediocre at best, but at least they are receptive to tours and small tourneys. Hopefully Bullshooter's will step it up a notch, Bull is working with them to do just that. Then, If Metro wins their case, maybe we'll see a ray of sunshine.Two rooms, supporting 1.75 million, of the valleys population, surely can find enough players to prosper, if they run it right.

Dick
I really like that they run alot of tourneys at Metro.They are done IMO and I will tell you why.They rubbed alot of big people in high places the wrong way with the smoking ban stuff there so they just had to make a mistake and now the people in power have what they want and that is a reason to shut them down.I hope they do figure a way out of it but I dont see it happening.One thing I know is if you want to snub your nose at authority you better have your paperwork in order. ;)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I think the Big Tables do play fast, that is because of the cloth in use, and # 3 Has some Rail Issures.

But my reference to the Tables was because the Tables are always Clean, and so are the Balls.