Southwest update

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
I spoke with Laurie today and they are working on cues that were ordered in the first part of 2001. Mine was ordered in the beginning of 2003 so I have a couple of years left. Do the math..........It will be 11 years if they stay on schedule :shakehead:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks but ......... NO THANKS!!!!!!

Over 10 years wait for an average custom cue???

I don't understand......

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I wait longer then 10min in a grocery line I leave my cart and go home and order a pizza.You have much better patience than I:smile:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I ordered one for my daughter's 18th birthday. She is 3 now.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

But for all those who don't want to wait www.indyq.com always has some in stock. And he has MORE than what is listed, he just doesn't have any help right now to get the images posted.

Trav D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must got my email a month from Laurie and placed the order. 10 plus years later I am getting to order. :smile:

DGHustles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is ridiculous!!! What a joke they are not worth anywhere near that length. Walk in there and get 10% over cost in cash and you can prob get a cue in 6 months.

ARROWCRUSHER

N/ CUE STROKER
Silver Member
NEVER !! ......I just cant see it and I played with a number of them and I wont say anything other then they are not my cup of tea,, especially a 10 year and more cup of tea....<<:boring2: ED

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You know folks it's not about the wait. Some restaurants have a two year waiting list as well to get in. It's not a big deal, if you want to get on the list then you do, and you wait. No one on the list is cue-less and the cue they ordered can be sold the same day for the price they paid if they want to sell it. No, it can EASILY be sold for a little mark up even before they get it.

In fact this is probably the major reason there is an 11 year wait. If Laurie would require a deposit on order or even payment in full the "list" would shrink considerably. Why wouldn't anyone place orders if they knew they didn't have to get the money up now and that if they are still around when their number comes up they can decide then if they still want it? For the buyer this is a ZERO risk proposition. If they don't have the money or don't want the cue then there are always people willing to buy the spot at a profit to the person who holds it.

Put an ad out there that you are willing to spend x% over the new price for a spot this year and see what happens. This is not a new thing and no one has to wait 11 years. But cutting in line will cost you just like cutting in line for anything else costs you.

As to whether they are "worth" it or not that's certainly a personal preference thing. I happen to feel that SouthWest cues play very well. Would I pay $2000+ for a plain cue though? No, I won't. Sorry but I don't feel that the cue is worth it. I respect the right of anyone and everyone charging whatever the market will bear for the cue and to some people SouthWest cues are a bargain at twice the price. Technically there is nothing wrong with them and I think that the hit is very sweet.

But again being on the list is just a thing. I was on the list, I got my cue ten years later, it was awesome, I sold it the same day. I wish I hadn't because it would be nice to own one that I got direct from Laurie but I told Joe Salazar about it and he bugged me and money was tight and I caved. But it certainly wasn't the nicest cue I owned and it wasn't the best hitting one either, based on my own personal feeling.

They are great cues. They have a mystique. The "list" and ten year wait is kind of silly though due to the market dynamics. It doesn't exist because of people standing in line ready to spend money right now for a cue. It exists because people can get on it with zero risk and the cues are easy to flip.

IMO.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
You know folks it's not about the wait. Some restaurants have a two year waiting list as well to get in. It's not a big deal, if you want to get on the list then you do, and you wait. No one on the list is cue-less and the cue they ordered can be sold the same day for the price they paid if they want to sell it. No, it can EASILY be sold for a little mark up even before they get it.

In fact this is probably the major reason there is an 11 year wait. If Laurie would require a deposit on order or even payment in full the "list" would shrink considerably. Why wouldn't anyone place orders if they knew they didn't have to get the money up now and that if they are still around when their number comes up they can decide then if they still want it? For the buyer this is a ZERO risk proposition. If they don't have the money or don't want the cue then there are always people willing to buy the spot at a profit to the person who holds it.

Put an ad out there that you are willing to spend x% over the new price for a spot this year and see what happens. This is not a new thing and no one has to wait 11 years. But cutting in line will cost you just like cutting in line for anything else costs you.

As to whether they are "worth" it or not that's certainly a personal preference thing. I happen to feel that SouthWest cues play very well. Would I pay $2000+ for a plain cue though? No, I won't. Sorry but I don't feel that the cue is worth it. I respect the right of anyone and everyone charging whatever the market will bear for the cue and to some people SouthWest cues are a bargain at twice the price. Technically there is nothing wrong with them and I think that the hit is very sweet.

But again being on the list is just a thing. I was on the list, I got my cue ten years later, it was awesome, I sold it the same day. I wish I hadn't because it would be nice to own one that I got direct from Laurie but I told Joe Salazar about it and he bugged me and money was tight and I caved. But it certainly wasn't the nicest cue I owned and it wasn't the best hitting one either, based on my own personal feeling.

They are great cues. They have a mystique. The "list" and ten year wait is kind of silly though due to the market dynamics. It doesn't exist because of people standing in line ready to spend money right now for a cue. It exists because people can get on it with zero risk and the cues are easy to flip.

IMO.
I have to agree, the list has many flippers on it selling the cues right before they arrive. It's not a bad investment because your only investing a phone call, waiting and making a few hundred, perhaps I will call tomorrow. :p

As for SW, they are nice cues and I like the style of them. I have hit with a couple and to be honest was not blown away and have hit with many other cues that were more to MY liking. I did have the pleasure of messing about with these bad boys a little bit. :thumbup:

024.jpg

036.jpg

035-1.jpg

034.jpg

032-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

041.jpg

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have to agree, the list has many flippers on it selling the cues right before they arrive. It's not a bad investment because your only investing a phone call, waiting and making a few hundred, perhaps I will call tomorrow. :p

As for SW, they are nice cues and I like the style of them. I have hit with a couple and to be honest was not blown away and have hit with many other cues that were more to MY liking. I did have the pleasure of messing about with these bad boys a little bit. :thumbup:

024.jpg

036.jpg

035-1.jpg

034.jpg

032-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

041.jpg

Those are sweet!!! I got the same feeling when I was at Roy's place and was able to hit with some of his.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It's a good thing there at least 4 or 5 other cuemakers out there,
or we would playing with house cues for the next eleven years.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a good thing there at least 4 or 5 other cuemakers out there,
or we would playing with house cues for the next eleven years.

I agree. You can get a Lucasi in under a week from the internet sellers or under an hour from a local billiards store.

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
Ok how does one get in the list? They don't have a website so what is the number? I might as well make the list a little longer....hopefully I'm still playing pool in the next 11 years

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Ok how does one get in the list? They don't have a website so what is the number? I might as well make the list a little longer....hopefully I'm still playing pool in the next 11 years

They are in the phone book. Easy to find the number with five minutes of searching on the net. You can even find an image of their business card.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
What happens if a person orders one and dies within the time frame waiting for it.

Laurie has a second list of people who will buy anything that comes up that is not committed to someone else.

You don't even get to pick woods and stuff until your cue is a year or so out.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Someday!!!!

I put an order in to be on the Southwest list years ago, and joked about would I get my Southwest, or Medicare Card First.

The Medicare Card showed up a few moths ago, and will be valid in about 30 days.

No Ringe Ringe Ringe Ringe, or e-mail yet from Laurie. But I am not loosing SLEEP over the Southwest, as I have a good chance of my turn coming up before ending up here.

56d1275353842-post-your-wide-angle-shots-dsc_2522.jpg

rheester

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
growing list

I spoke with Laurie today and they are working on cues that were ordered in the first part of 2001. Mine was ordered in the beginning of 2003 so I have a couple of years left. Do the math..........It will be 11 years if they stay on schedule :shakehead:

so i was thinking the other day, daydreaming about when my turn would come up.

if cues from 2001 are just being made now, since then, there has been many advances in technology and the ways in which we communicate and market ourselves (not that southwest does any active marketing)

i suspect that since 2001, things like azb probably has increased exposure to how to get in contact w/ southwest and their no deposit policy.

as a result, i can only imagine that their lists have only increased since then and have not stabilized, meaning that the wait time will only increase.

if they only make ~200 cues/year, i can guarantee that since laurie's number has been posted numerous times, that last year alone, there were probably more than 100 people that put their name on the list.

just food for thought.