APA 8 ball league fees

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do the math. At $2.00 a gallon, 10 cents difference is only 5%. League Operators charging from $5-$11 is 120% difference!!! It's just too much of a discrepancy, considering when you get to the regional or National level everyone gets the same amount of price money. You'd think the main office of APA would set guidelines for fees. Anyway it's just an opinion.

Doing the math by percentages isn't really a fair way to compare. League fees are usually set in one dollar increments (every league, not just APA) per player, so when there's a difference you're comparing $6 to $7 (17%) or $7 to $8 (14%), etc. Maybe one day when there is no more cash and everyone pays for everything electronically, there can be more granularity in fee structures, but for now nobody wants to make captains collect $6.32 from each player.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It just went up from $6 to $7 dollar per player and they recently started charging $1 per patch if you want one. No greens fees here.. they open up the table.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow...what a cheap sob! LOL Of course 8 plane tickets from ME cost too! 25 years ago I gave my teams 4 rooms for 8 players, plus $100 each food money. Now I was only 800 miles from Vegas, so my teams drove (I gave them gas $$$ too).

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

In Bangor ME , 1-3 with a drawn wild card. And if your lucky enough to get to Vegas two rooms for eight players with a fifty dollar per person food allowance for the week.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not APA, but in the Netherlands it costs me about $25 a year, and as part of a team that plays out of my pool hall, their "sponsorship" is that I play for free anytime all year round...

Decent deal ;)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow...what a cheap sob! LOL Of course 8 plane tickets from ME cost too! 25 years ago I gave my teams 4 rooms for 8 players, plus $100 each food money. Now I was only 800 miles from Vegas, so my teams drove (I gave them gas $$$ too).

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I dont remember the dollar amount we received in 2013 as I just told the lo to make all arrangements for us

We got 6 round trip plane tickets....2 had to be rescheduled at an extra cost.
4 rooms for 6 days
550. 00 cash after all arrangements

350.00 from the national office once we arrived in vegas

AceAngeles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It just went up from $6 to $7 dollar per player and they recently started charging $1 per patch if you want one. No greens fees here.. they open up the table.

In the one area of upstate NY the guy charges everyone $2 per patch and $11 per player for 8 ball. Someone is making out well.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Our LO doesn't allow host locations to charge table time.

I think if our LO tried to tell bar owners what they could and couldn't do the room owners would tell tell our LO to shove it and to take their APA somewhere else. Some places open the tables, some places do not, and sometimes those of us that have them will just use our table keys. Generosity by a bar owner never goes unnoticed and is always appreciated, as is true for a lack of generosity

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA is just a flat fee per session, If you have 8 players and a 15 week session then its 40 dollars a night and if your team splits all dues, then 5 bucks a night. Plus Playoffs is separate

Now some teams only make the players that play that night pay, which would be 8 bucks a night per player. I frown upon team captains that do this for it is a team event, split even or go play singles.

As far as green fees, its bar discretion. We have pool halls with open tables that charges 10 bucks for the whole night, that is 5 a team, or 1 buck per player that played. We also have coin ops places, so 75 cents would be quarter for bar and quarter per player, $1 table is 50 cents to bar and 1 quarter a player, 50 cent tables are split between players.

A lot of bars/pool halls also offer free play to home teams when you play at home or if 2 home teams play, They also offer to pay half of session fees or all of it, really depends on bar/pool hall and if they are trying to get people in there.

This is in SC.

I no longer play APA, I only play 1 night of TAP a week, and all other times are practice or tournaments, but applies to both TAP and APA.

Now I don't understand why any one would want to play APA once you get the pool hall fever and actually understand the game, but to each their own I guess.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Leagues generate a lot of money for bars usually so........

Here I think there is maybe two or three actual pool rooms. Most of the venues are bars with 2 or 3 tables, pool is an afterthought that generally has to compete with karaoke or trivia night. They might miss a few bucks for a while but the suggestion has been made that room owners might want to consider opening the tables for leagues, a few were agreeable, most declined in no uncertain terms

AceAngeles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much do you have to pay for patches in your league? 8 ball on break, rackless, etc... Is it free, $1, $2 or more??

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much do you have to pay for patches in your league? 8 ball on break, rackless, etc... Is it free, $1, $2 or more??

Zero....our lo also had a program where you could fill out a form for a drawing to singles nationals nationals in lieu of a patch....not sure if its in effect this year since I have not seen any forms In our packet lately .

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zero....our lo also had a program where you could fill out a form for a drawing to singles nationals nationals in lieu of a patch....not sure if its in effect this year since I have not seen any forms In our packet lately .

Are you saying that instead of a patch you get to enter your name into a random drawing to go to the National Singles tournament to shoot in it without winning your way there through Boards and Regional qualifiers?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying that instead of a patch you get to enter your name into a random drawing to go to the National Singles tournament to shoot in it without winning your way there through Boards and Regional qualifiers?[/

Yep that is correct.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
When I played APA, the patches were free. The APA leagues in my area do not reward any cash prizes. Meaning all you win is either trophies, a paid trip to Gold Cup, a paid trip to APA Nationals in Las Vegas, or a shot at a shot to win a trip to Las Vegas.