Efren uncorks a HUGE stroke -- bends the cue ball! (36-second clip)

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was he really trying to do that, or maybe go straight up and down the table instead?

BelleBelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look if Efren wanted to go straight up the table that's where whitey would have gone. Second he shots the ball with too much stroke to just float up the table

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was MORE than a "Touch" of Inside.

The Magician indeed! A dazzling position play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fTEx2ho2u0

Enjoy.

Arnaldo

That was MORE than a "Touch" of Inside. :)

I remember him shooting that LIVE.....it's really not that difficult, IF you know the technique ;)

Guess who he shot this shot on???

199b-09l.gif

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
That was MORE than a "Touch" of Inside. :)

I remember him shooting that LIVE.....it's really not that difficult, IF you know the technique ;)

Guess who he shot this shot on???

199b-09l.gif

Lol ouch CJ. So whats your opinion on this. Do you think that was exactly what he was wanting to do or rather a happy accident?

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
I have to differ on this one.

I think that's exactly what he was trying to do other than he would have liked the cue ball a little more up table.

Stones

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that reverse was intentional.

Now, was he tring to split the wicket? Debatable. He was prob playig 'hope' shape...Hope there is a pocket in front.

Regardless, he knew his opponent wasn't gonna like it. If the 7 didn't come makeable, prob a good safe opportunity, as the other balls' proximity.

:slap:(How dare we question Efren's pool acumen):slap:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think he was trying to do exactly that. Even if he runs into the 8 ball he's gonna be golden.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did it just the way he wanted too--great shot with an increadable stroke --add just a bit of genuis, and that's what ya come up with

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Eh? It's a fairly well known stroke shot, I think. He pretty much exactly what he intended to with it.
Yes, especially among people who play carom billiards. And to correct an error above, it was with right side and a lot of follow.
An advantage of taking that path is that you are going along the line of position at the end of the shot. if you run into the 8, it's not a problem.

It's not the way Buddy Hall would have played the shot, I'm pretty sure.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I guess it just seems unnecessarily risky to me and thats why I figured it was a nice mistake. But, I'm no pro obviously! Effren is such an amazing player and its not that I doubt that he could do it, I just doubt that he would want to do it.

It just seems like you could get an equally effective leave without the risk. I wonder if CJ just shook his head in amazement after this shot, I know I would have!

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I was hoping 59-year old efren did something magical in a recent event, instead it's a golden oldie covered in one of the VHS accustats highlight videos. I dunno if efren would hit it the same way tomorrow.

He may not have shown it outwardly, but on the inside he was thinking "wait'll they get a load of this".

And yeah, it's intentional. Floating straight up carries the obvious risk of going a bit too far and getting hooked by the 8 ball. Efren's too smart to take that kind of dumb risk. He's not gonna hit at warp speed when rolling 8 inches too far will cost him the rack.

You could argue that he wanted to float up and to the right a little, avoiding the chance of a hook, but how does a guy of efren's caliber hit a ball so bad he sends the cue ball to the left rail when he wanted to send it just north of the spot?

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd have thought...nice..your still not getting into my head with that witty shot..

Effern is Effern..he has entertained folks for years ; while kicking others butts.

Does he gets some rolls...sure.but you really have to play with a strong understanding
of the game..to get as lucky as he does..I think we all understand this.