Black Linen Wrap Problem......

jim_vielee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a brand new cue with a black linen wrap from an reputable cuemaker, but the thing is everytime I play with it it leaves my hand black like the dye is coming off. What can I do about it??

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a brand new cue with a black linen wrap from an reputable cuemaker, but the thing is everytime I play with it it leaves my hand black like the dye is coming off. What can I do about it??

Hi Jim
Respectfully. Do you have a lathe and proper tooling. Do you work on cues? If not. Please send it back to the Cue maker or bring it to a Cue repair person. Certain things with linens have changed over the years and some colors dont seem to have been dried properly. It's an easy repair but no so easy if you don't work on cues. Last question. How much do your hands sweat? If it's profusely. You might consider another style wrap.

Last edited:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I've seen black w/white spot wraps bleed a little color during install,but never seen it bleed dye onto someone's skin from them sweating.

We have no reason not to believe the OP,so let's say he's on the money and this is indeed happening.

Drop some knowledge on us Mike,what changes in linen are causing it,and what is the right way to deal with it?

I've never had a solid black wrap on any of my own cues,and have yet to work on them.

However,I've talked to several that complained about the quality of solid black linen and it's appearance even if worked to perfection for years now. Tommy D.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Solid black linen wraps can be tricky, requiring knowledge and technique(s) specific to that particular linen. Do it wrong and you end up with some white or gray spots [discoloration] that won't easily go away.

There are two solutions to this problem - 1) learn how to apply, press, and polish it in a manner that prevents the problem from occurring to begin with, OR 2) apply black dye afterward to mask the mistake(s). The problem with solution #2 is that almost any dye applied after the fact will be prone to bleeding when it comes in contact with sweat and the natural oils in human skin.

It sounds like maybe the cuemaker used the latter approach. I don't know this for a fact, but unless linen wrap is being made differently than it was when I quit using it there is no way the factory dye in the linen is bleeding off onto the player's skin.

TW

(PS: Your price today for this information today is $0.02. Please see the cashier.)

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You might try having someone with a lathe to seal the wrap with shaft sealer. Other wise a new wrap without any additional dye being added is in order.

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
Just replacing it with leather is option but wouldnt u like to kno cause of dye on hands? Could be shoe polish ,maybe it was tinted wrap a bit ,who knows....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk