12x22 room for 8foot?

duc996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will suck because of how narrow your room is. I know you didn't want to hear that....sorry.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The playing area for an 8 ft table, measured from cushion nose to cushion nose, is 44in x 88in.
For a 58" cue, you'd need a minimum of approx 14 ft by 17.5 ft to clear the wall all around. And that doesn't account for any furniture in the foot path.
The Olhausen table site used to have a pretty good room sizing chart.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No reason to be sorry, I'm looking at buying a house that will hold an 8 foot table.

I have an oversize 8' table in my 14'4" x 22' room and it is TIGHT. The OS 8' is only 2" wider than a standard 8'

Besides having room for your stroke, you want freedom to step back, look at your shot, then step into it. Even though I can take a full stroke even when the CB is frozen to the rail, I am constantly bumping the wall with my cue butt as I walk around the table accessing the layout. It gets old.

The companies selling tables will give you a minimum size using a formula that considers a 58" cue, your proposed table size, etc., but to really enjoy an 8' table I'd say you want 14'6" at the minimum, and 15' or more would be ideal.

Good luck with your house hunting. Went through it all three years ago and I still haven't recovered from it.

Darkridder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeap I've googled it and looked over the page. But i was wondering exactly how bad it would be.. Guess I'll look for a single pole in a basement to try to work around :/

"Q" Protectors

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a post or 2 out and support with beams. You may lose 12" of head room but usually you'll still have 7' clearance where the beam is. My duct work hung down 10" all on its own so losing another 2" and gaining 13' of width made a 9 footer easy. My room turned out 28x23

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
How bad would an 8 foot table be in a room that is 12x22?

Thanks?
Here's how to calculate it. The numbers in red are the Stroke Room you have with the CB on the rail and the cue perpendicular to the rail and horizontal. Two common kinds of 8-foot tables are shown: regular and "oversize".

The calculation on the left is for the Brunswick website chart linked above. Notice that the Stroke Room is only 0-1 inches. Don't trust the "advice" of manufacturers or retailers - they're in business to sell tables.

The calculation on the right is for your 12 x 22 foot room. You have way more room than you need lengthwise for any size table, but widthwise you can't fit a normal 58 inch cue between the cushion nose and the wall - you're 8-9 inches short. So you'd need a "shorty" stick that's 9 inches plus some stroking room shorter than a regular cue - say a 43-46-inch cue.

pj
chgo

View attachment 39718

Attachments

• rm sz.jpg
    rm sz.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeap I've googled it and looked over the page. But i was wondering exactly how bad it would be.. Guess I'll look for a single pole in a basement to try to work around :/

Trust me, you'll hate that, too. I had one at middle of the basement. Even the table mechanic thought it would only occasionally get in the way. Wrong. Seemed like every shot I made on that side of the table had me clanking my cue against that effen pole.

I had an engineer spec out a steel beam and got rid of that pole for good. I only lost 8" of headroom. An engineered microlam beam would have been cheaper and easier to install, but it would have been 12" deep instead of 8".

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
basically you need a room sized that is-- ten feet total added to the table length and the same to the width to have the minimum room to enjoy it

James2003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks?

IMO if you want a 8' table find a house with at least a 20x24' room.

This will give you plently of playine area plus a some rrom for a pub table and chairs etc...

Personally I will be looking for something with a 24'x30'. or a den larg enough to use as a living room then put a table in the actual living room area. Right now I am really tight for a 8' table length wise and meet the min requirements for the width. So I am wanting a table but then again not wanting one as the lengh is 2" short for a 8' table. I considered a bar box with tightend pockets but have not decided.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Consider that the awful "minimum requirements" chart once again linked shows a room size that you can't stroke a ball at all when it gets on the cushion. Now you want to put a table in a room that's smaller by a foot. Yeah, it's going be bad.

In a perfect world, we'd all like room for a pool table, and we'd all put furniture and a wet bar around it and still have gobs of room. And we'd all be banging Madonna.

Take the minimum from the Brunswick site and add room for any semblance of stroke if a ball is on the cushion. For every inch you add to the width, you have to add two inches to the length to get the equivalent amount of stroke. Right now, your 12' width is a stud away.

Some people can live with Minimum +2; some people need Madonna.

Freddie <~~~ no cake

jka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a perfect world, we'd all like room for a pool table, and we'd all put furniture and a wet bar around it and still have gobs of room. And we'd all be banging Madonna.

^^^That's signature material right there. ^^^

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

Thanks?

I have a room thats 12 foot wide and I have an 8 footer in it. It is too narrow and can be frustrating. You will need to get a short cue.

With all that being said... it's really not that bad and worth the headaches just to have a table at home.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

^^^That's signature material right there. ^^^

You guys can have that $#!7....
0ce9d3d9c3946388897b01f7d98d52a3.600x.jpg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Take a post or 2 out and support with beams. You may lose 12" of head room but usually you'll still have 7' clearance where the beam is. My duct work hung down 10" all on its own so losing another 2" and gaining 13' of width made a 9 footer easy. My room turned out 28x23

To me this is the way to go....beam or no table.

If you haven't signed any papers, make it part of the negotiations.

I have friends with cramped home tables....I don't like to play on them....
...it encourages you to crowd the cue ball which makes it hard to see the shot.