My experience with 7 carbon shafts so far

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I understand correctly from what I have seen, read and heard the major differences between Revo and Mezz are in shaft diameters, tapers and the material of vault plate or in case with Ignite they call it IG Plate ferrule butt still its construction and idea looks pretty much the same as vault plate from Predator. The major difference is in material of a thing. In case with Ignite I believe it is much softer material then Predator uses for their vault plate. That is why would I had a Revo which I liked when tested with exception for its sound in order to make it feel the way I like more I would just change that vault plate making it lets say out of Juma or tomahawk and than putting back the red pad. I'm pretty sure this procedure is not that difficult but it could make the Revo to hit and feel differently without sacrificing the performance a lot ...just void the warranty. So of course common sense tells it is better to get Ignite where those important qualities are available in their shaft immediately and with their warranty. BTW I believe it is also possible to lower deflection of the Cynergy after the same procedure. So when it comes to c.f. shafts for me the most important properties are:
- the length
- the taper
- stiffness and energy transfer
- the weight and balance
- how its surface feels and looks.
These ones should stay as they are offered because any changes afterwards very likely will lead to the poor outcome.
The other changes when it comes to modifying for a different joint pin or the described procedure with the plates ...these are possible to execute by a competent person without any risk for the shaft with exception to bye-bye the warranty.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you describe the differences between Ignite and Revo?

I've played both for an extended period of time and this is what I experienced:

Ignite has a little more deflection with short ~3 diamonds or so and within ~1 tip from center CB. After you get outside that ~1 tip area the ignite has, IMO, a lot more deflection than the revo. Again, close up shots....say, 3 diamonds or less, well, the ignite has a little more but, moving past ~3 diamonds, especially with extreme spin....the ignite has a more noticeable amount of deflection vs the revo. The revo, IMO, is still in a class by itself when it comes to "production carbon fiber" cues....performance wise.

Now, if performance takes a backseat to feel, sound etc...etc and your not concerned with a tiny bit to a lot more deflection (depending on shit length and speed), well, the ignite may be better suited to you. Especially if you have issues with no white ferrule, people that have to have a ferrule for visual reasons are better off going with the mezz or pechauer.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure if I change the vault plate on a Revo on exactly the same size-weight one but softer tomahawk material the shaft's deflection would not rise. I would get used to it when it comes to sighting with no ferrule but it just looks better for me with a white pad than the black one and I believe the hit would become a bit softer. BTW just yesterday I've enjoyed this video with Chris Melling 4 consecutive run-outs in chinese 9-ball https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UWp7Z63r-UI. Look at his Revo's pad. I quess that is one of custom Revos where you pay 200$ extra for a pad of different color. Nevermind I don't see Predator changing their marketing policy and offering their Revo in extra length any time soon so why to care. I'll better look for that manufacturer offering their shaft in 31" with the taper-stiffness-energy transfer for my liking and the same or very close level with a Revo. The rest I can take care of. Once I'll be able to try Becue Prime-M 12.5 I find out if I like it. What I've heard it has more flex in comparison to the Revos. But I need to try it to find out if it would be a problem for me or not. It may also happen Goran Kobas at Go-customs one day decides to offer his Go-2 in 31" too. It is more likely then with Predator. Than I'll have one more good option here in Europe to choose from. There's no rush...the time and possibility will come one day when it's time.

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Well I finally made up my mind. Selling all my carbon shafts except my Revo's. Well not selling the Becue either because it was an Xmas gift from my family. The Revo is the best hands down over the rest. I was considering trying the ignite but after the last review on it here I decided it would be a waste since I need to buy a butt as well. I even decided that I was going to sell my 12,25mm Meucci CF pro and buy one in 11.75mm but Changed my mind and paid other bills off instead. Sold the Cynergy a while back. My Jacoby black is listed for sale now. Was going to possibly try the rogue when it came out but not doing that either.

I think it's engrained in my head now no ferrule. All the other have white ferrules and it bothers me while shooting with them.

I think the only other CF I'd be remotely interested in getting would be a 11.8mm Revo, but it would have to be ferruless too to consider.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the only other CF I'd be remotely interested in getting would be a 11.8mm Revo, but it would have to be ferruless too to consider.

If I were you being very interested and curious to try 11.8 good c.f. shaft I'd better go for new Pechauer Rogue 11.8 30" and than if no ferrule is your way...well you have two possibilities:
- contact Pechauer and ask if they can make it for you no ferrule without that small white ring but just like Predator. If they agree you will have the warranty. If not...
- buy their 30" shaft and apply to a Predator's official repairman or other reputable person asking for the same vault plate and red pad installed getting rid the white ring. The procedure is not that difficult...you loose the warranty but I guess if you get what you really want when it comes to performance it may worth it.
I believe that is much faster way to get it then just waiting for the time Predator comes with theirs.
At least with the money in hands it is now easier to get a good 11.8 c.f. shaft for you then 31" c.f. shaft with the performance of the Revo for me.

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
If I were you being very interested and curious to try 11.8 good c.f. shaft I'd better go for new Pechauer Rogue 11.8 30" and than if no ferrule is your way...well you have two possibilities:
- contact Pechauer and ask if they can make it for you no ferrule without that small white ring but just like Predator. If they agree you will have the warranty. If not...
- buy their 30" shaft and apply to a Predator's official repairman or other reputable person asking for the same vault plate and red pad installed getting rid the white ring. The procedure is not that difficult...you loose the warranty but I guess if you get what you really want when it comes to performance it may worth it.
I believe that is much faster way to get it then just waiting for the time Predator comes with theirs.
At least with the money in hands it is now easier to get a good 11.8 c.f. shaft for you then 31" c.f. shaft with the performance of the Revo for me.

I was really considering the 11.8 rogue but it's not pro taper. It's going to be tapered like the z3 is. That's why my plan was to get the 11.75 Meucci CF in 30" because there's is pro taper, but I feel I'd still favor the Revo, it's just so good.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was really considering the 11.8 rogue but it's not pro taper. It's going to be tapered like the z3 is. That's why my plan was to get the 11.75 Meucci CF in 30" because there's is pro taper, but I feel I'd still favor the Revo, it's just so good.
I would say no sense walking away from a good thing if it works well for you.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone played with a GO-2 shaft and can compare with a Revo ?
Is it so difficult to look at the other pages here?
Look the post #52 on a previous page. I don't think you will find more or better reviews and comparisons. Bearing in mind the variety of options Goran offers it is a good choice (IMO).

Last edited:

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried3 shafts so far:

Revo- way too stiff and no feedback to me personally
Jacoby- super horrible from hit to deflection
Cynergy- super impressive! even ordered one for myselft!

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deflection properties at best REVO but dead end feedback hit wise.
IGNITE great hit and feedback, down side shaft on small side.
End of the day all carbons must wear glove. personally seams game more complicated deal with when show up at pool hall. break out a glove, a jump cue, a break stick, get your carbon wipes,favorite chalk then playing cue.:grin: Unnecessary expense and time getting all this crap out not mention carry extra weight. Nobody is playing a ball better with this stuff nobody all marketing. Pool simple game just need 2 cues for average player & pro player. playing cue & jump break cue. Just my 2 cents perhaps not worth dime either.:eek:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
That's an expensive experiment .

I guess some people are also using white out to have a white "ferrule" on those Revos.

I tried one, and the black color is way too weird for me .

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's an expensive experiment .

I guess some people are also using white out to have a white "ferrule" on those Revos.

I tried one, and the black color is way too weird for me .

I don't like the black either. Especially with no ferrule.

Even though the white painted Becue shaft is not as "slick" as the REVO and the other black ones, it is a hell of a lot easier (to me) to sight down. The white shaft with a black tip makes it easy to see where the tip is contacting the cue ball.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hit a few balls today with RandyInHawaii's new Meucci carbon fiber shaft and it hits really good. It was super smooth and I liked that it had a white ferrule on it. The ferrule is definitely an improvement over black carbon fiber shafts with no ferrule.

It had a very long taper and it hit very solid. From what little I played with it, I think I would prefer it over the REVO. It played, sounded, and felt more like a conventional shaft. It didn't make any "pinging" sounds either...one thing I dislike in a cue/shaft/tip.

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hit a few balls today with RandyInHawaii's new Meucci carbon fiber shaft and it hits really good. It was super smooth and I liked that it had a white ferrule on it. The ferrule is definitely an improvement over black carbon fiber shafts with no ferrule.

It had a very long taper and it hit very solid. From what little I played with it, I think I would prefer it over the REVO. It played, sounded, and felt more like a conventional shaft. It didn't make any "pinging" sounds either...one thing I dislike in a cue/shaft/tip.

My opinion of the shaft is the same as yours, except that I would add I definitely prefer it over REVO, which I have had a couple of. Although it is a good shaft and still have one, I also prefer it over the BECUE. To me the feel is a little better and even though BECUE has a transparent type ferrule, it really doesn’t stand out much more than the all black REVO. The white ferrule on the Meucci really helps me with cue tip placement.

Although I didn’t give it a real good testing, I did try the Cynergy and to me it was okay and liked it better than REVO, but don’t like it as well as BECUE or Meucci.

Just my opinion.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion of the shaft is the same as yours, except that I would add I definitely prefer it over REVO, which I have had a couple of. Although it is a good shaft and still have one, I also prefer it over the BECUE. To me the feel is a little better and even though BECUE has a transparent type ferrule, it really doesn’t stand out much more than the all black REVO. The white ferrule on the Meucci really helps me with cue tip placement.

Although I didn’t give it a real good testing, I did try the Cynergy and to me it was okay and liked it better than REVO, but don’t like it as well as BECUE or Meucci.

Just my opinion.

I think you said it was a 5/16-14.

If so, I got first dibs on it if you decide to sell it. :)

It really felt good on that butt you were using. They matched up good and I liked the slim butt .

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hit a few balls today with the new SVB Cuetec cue with the carbon fiber shaft and I think my Becue plays way better. The Becue, to me, hits way more "solid" and has more "ball feel".

I don't know what kind of tip was on the Cuetec, but it didn't feel as good as the Ultra-skin soft on mine. Tips are a preference, but I think a soft tip feels better on the carbon fiber shafts than harder tips.

RonRosas

Banned
Just hit with the new Tiger Products Carbon Fiber ""Grrr""

Wowzer!
Stop by Burbank and hit a few around, wacky spin, dope feedback and ZERO deflection. can not be beat. blows all the other Carbon fibbers our of the water.
mine was 30" long with a 12.25 gradual conical tapper and a sniper tip.
GGGrrrrowl!
Put a Tiger in you tank,They're grrrrrreat !