How long have you been on the same league team?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So as of right now due to covid less people are wanting to play on a league. So as of right now I do not have a team. I am looking into being a sub. So the guy who I was scheduled to play on a team with called and said that he did not have enough members for a team. Also that he had the same team for 25 years. Is that a "normal thing"? How long have you guys been on the same league team?

Thanks

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I tried "League" one night, it was so screwed up, I said screw this non - sense. I personally hate disorganization, and dealing with people who are not semi professional. Pretending to be in business.

Thank you I will pass on the leage thing.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lasted 2 years in APA 2011-2012
then later on I lasted 2 years in BCA 2017-2018

While I enjoyed both for a while, the leagues I was in seemed more like a reason to go out and drink than a reason to go out and actually play pool.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lasted 2 years in APA 2011-2012
then later on I lasted 2 years in BCA 2017-2018

While I enjoyed both for a while, the leagues I was in seemed more like a reason to go out and drink than a reason to go out and actually play pool.

Did people get drunk?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
You as a sub for a team together 25 years?

There can be no better incentive for all to show up.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
So as of right now due to covid less people are wanting to play on a league. So as of right now I do not have a team. I am looking into being a sub. So the guy who I was scheduled to play on a team with called and said that he did not have enough members for a team. Also that he had the same team for 25 years. Is that a "normal thing"? How long have you guys been on the same league team?

Thanks

About 25 years. We are all serious players and really enjoy the competition. None of us drink anymore but we did plenty as youngsters. BCA league all the time. Total money back after playoffs.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
giphy.gif

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 25 years. We are all serious players and really enjoy the competition. None of us drink anymore but we did plenty as youngsters. BCA league all the time. Total money back after playoffs.

That is just impressive. Being part of a team for around as long as I have been alive.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing apa for 10 years. There is not a single person playing apa today that was on my first team.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Players come and go sponsors come and go but me and my man Ted have been on the same team since 2006

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't belong on this topic except that it's still pool.

Get your basics wired first. There is every reason to be prepared; even at a rudimentary level.

Go observe that team and any others where the playing is enlightening. Join if you like but why pay? Buy a beverage and absorb. Work up to going off for your remaining $5. You should have your "teachers" all scoped out by that time.
You can always join once you get past crawl.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VNEA pool league
1st team for 3 years
2nd team for 10 years
3rd team for 10 years
currently 4th team 12 years and counting.

Great people on each team with the last two teams shooting multiple leagues over the years.
In 34 years, again with multiple leagues played in the last 20 years,
League Champions 37 times, 2nd place, 12 times.
Great teammates, great people, just appreciate being part of it all.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I only managed to deal with regular CPA (APA) for a couple of seasons. It's common knowledge that that league's handicap scheme is built to advance players to the point that they have to split up the team on some level, so I doubt you'll find more than a couple that have remained on the same team for a long stretch of time. That said I have played the last 4-5yrs on a masters team, (no handicaps so no force break up).

The BCA, ACS, VNEA, or any of the others that work on the ball system and don't limit team maximum handicap do support long term teams. Life has determined my interest in playing league so I don't think I've gotten passed maybe a handful of years at a time. That said, I did join a CCS (ACS in USA) team last year. While there I quickly discovered a team that had been together since my very first stint in a league back when I was 20 yrs of age. I didn't probe for details but that would mean that team had been playing together for 27yrs approx.

As you may have suspected...,, they are a great bunch of guys to have a drink with.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I've been captaining my 8-ball team for probably 9 years or so (currently not the actual captain as since the Covid I can't be there every week, so another is technically the captain currently, tho I'm still playing when possible).

One player on my team has been with me for those 9 years. We are also on a separate 9-ball team, almost as long a period of time. She is the captain of that team. Neither team has any other players on the same team as long as us, tho we have one player on the 9-ball team that joined a year after us, still with us.

You asked another poster "if they got drunk". You seem to have a preoccupation with this subject. As I and many others have tried to point out to you, League pool is designed to be played in drinking establishments, and many of the people playing League will indeed drink. If you have that strong an aversion to be around people who are drinking, you should try and come up with another way to satisfy your pool playing interest.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I do recall checking out a second league forgot it affailation, but the operator did return e-mail. As I enquired about the percentage of weekly dues into a end of season prize fun. Reply was "Trophoes & Ribbons", I replied quess your doing ok as league operator, not my kind of payout.

Trophies and Ribbons are lame IMHO.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I do recall checking out a second league forgot it affailation, but the operator did return e-mail. As I enquired about the percentage of weekly dues into a end of season prize fun. Reply was "Trophoes & Ribbons", I replied quess your doing ok as league operator, not my kind of payout.

Trophies and Ribbons are lame IMHO.

Trophies and Ribbons are under 5 bucks. You needed that in cash?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been captaining my 8-ball team for probably 9 years or so (currently not the actual captain as since the Covid I can't be there every week, so another is technically the captain currently, tho I'm still playing when possible).

One player on my team has been with me for those 9 years. We are also on a separate 9-ball team, almost as long a period of time. She is the captain of that team. Neither team has any other players on the same team as long as us, tho we have one player on the 9-ball team that joined a year after us, still with us.

You asked another poster "if they got drunk". You seem to have a preoccupation with this subject. As I and many others have tried to point out to you, League pool is designed to be played in drinking establishments, and many of the people playing League will indeed drink. If you have that strong an aversion to be around people who are drinking, you should try and come up with another way to satisfy your pool playing interest.

So on the axe throwing league I am a part of people drink. But they are only allowed one or 2 cans of beer an hour. Generally we are only there for 2 or 3 hours. So no one gets drunk. I am fine with people drinking its just getting drunk. I don't have anyway to say how drunk is a problem for me. But I was at a darts tournament watching not participating and it was 11 am and people were slurring their words. That type of getting drunk is a problem for me.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Trophies and Ribbons are under 5 bucks. You needed that in cash?

I use to do a Tuesday Night 9 Ball Bar Tournment, the entire fee was $5.00, plus Bar Box Quarters, and if you finished in the top three your trophy was good old green foldable money.

No one was getting rich or make a car payment off winnings, but it beat the hell out of a Trophy.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difficulty and shortcoming with recreational leagues, regardless of which you prefer, is handicapping.
So I guess it comes down to the franchisee & their commitment to see fair and accurate handicaps used.
The national tournaments reveal just how far people go to construct a team with understated handicaps.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
So on the axe throwing league I am a part of people drink. But they are only allowed one or 2 cans of beer an hour. Generally we are only there for 2 or 3 hours. So no one gets drunk. I am fine with people drinking its just getting drunk. I don't have anyway to say how drunk is a problem for me. But I was at a darts tournament watching not participating and it was 11 am and people were slurring their words. That type of getting drunk is a problem for me.

Well, I guess that I'd be a little concerned about an axe-throwing competition where people had too much to drink, lol...