Answer this honestly please

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if you stay down on the shot long enough to see it hit the object ball (if you dont you should..jmho )
1) do you miss because you dont hit what you were aiming at most of the time???
thats flaws in your fundamentals not aiming
or
2) do you miss because you hit where you were aiming and it was the wrong target??
i would bet $1.50 that the majority of you miss because of #1 not #2
so work on your stroke will get you farther than an aiming system
jmho
icbw
your thoughts?

Last edited:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Well, since you asked........it could be either.....only the person doing the shot will know why they missed.

That’s why it’s critical to correctly identify why you missed and not guess at why you missed.

And that takes time and practice....

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to miss because my stroke wasn't lined up right and linearity of stroke and consequently the whole shot was speed dependent. Well I've got all that sorted and now I miss because I haven't perfected the process.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to miss because my stroke wasn't lined up right and linearity of stroke and consequently the whole shot was speed dependent. Well I've got all that sorted and now I miss because I haven't perfected the process.

thanks for the reply.....:thumbup:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
He really didn’t want a honest reply.....only a reply that was in line with what he thought......

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I would say that around 2/3's of my misses are due to not hitting the spot I was aiming for closely enough and around 1/3's are caused by not aiming correctly.

After playing as much as I have in my lifetime misjudging the aiming point only happens on shots like a cut shot where the white and the object ball are very close together making it difficult (at least for me) to judge the correct aiming point. Another example might be a shot that is close to being a maximum cut shot, again these to me are quite difficult to aim/judge correctly and a third example might be a bank shot where it's not just the aiming point you have to judge but also the speed.

Regards, Dave

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I don't come here often but its my favorite question that I'll answer with a question.

How do you know you've adjusted for delivery correctly when the Cue Ball appears larger than the object ball at a distance?

It doesn't matter what system, clue etc you go by (if you can't deliver where you need to) and that delivery can matter down to being off by a thousandth of an inch depending on how far the object ball is from the target.

It's called the "Parallax" and is much more important that a lot of folks give it credit for.

The only way you cope with that is play those shots enough that you know how they look both at perception and expected delivery. If you don't deliver right it's on your end of the perception until you learn how its supposed to appear when the cue ball is nearer to you to your eyes.

if you stay down on the shot long enough to see it hit the object ball (if you dont you should..jmho )
or
2) do you miss because you hit where you were aiming and it was the wrong target??
jmho
icbw
your thoughts?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
How do you know you've adjusted for delivery correctly when the Cue Ball appears larger than the object ball at a distance?
1. By visualizing the CB at the same distance and size (i.e., the ghost CB).
2. By aiming your stick (rather than the CB) at a target on or near the OB.

It's called the "Parallax"
I think you mean "perspective".

pj
chgo

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
1. By visualizing the CB at the same distance and size (i.e., the ghost CB).
2. By aiming your stick (rather than the CB) at a target on or near the OB.

I think you mean "perspective".

pj
chgo

I said "Parallax" but perspective represents the human reaction to it. So yes they are one in the same.

I routinely line up and make spot shots by aiming my cue tip at the edge of the object ball. So you're right whatever you can find that works for you
just works and you adjust from what works.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without rehashing my PSR, I aim from above and don't get down to shoot until I'm done aiming. I still fudge a little and aim from the cue ball but it's mostly by way of adjustment; BHE etc...

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I said "Parallax" but perspective represents the human reaction to it. So yes they are one in the same.
I can see how they both apply to aiming, but they're definitely not the same thing. Perspective refers specifically to things looking smaller in the distance from a single position, while parallax refers to things "moving" differently at different distances as your position changes.

No bigee - I get you. This is just me being Deputy Pat of the Grammar Police. :)

pj
chgo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most people who think they aimed wrong actually can't get the cb to go where they want it to. Sometimes it is impossible to tell whether it was aim or stroke. Many think they have a better stroke than they really do so they assume it is aim.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most people who think they aimed wrong actually can't get the cb to go where they want it to. Sometimes it is impossible to tell whether it was aim or stroke. Many think they have a better stroke than they really do so they assume it is aim.

It's all about the stroke, baby.

Aiming, with a good setup/stroke, is an afterthought IMO.

Lou Figueroa

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, since you asked........it could be either.....only the person doing the shot will know why they missed.

That’s why it’s critical to correctly identify why you missed and not guess at why you missed.

And that takes time and practice....
I struggle with that. Maybe im trying too hard and dont see what actually happened when i missed.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
or
jmho
icbw
your thoughts?
Both are nessacary. But the stroke comes into play even more on a long shot. Any movement can effect the stroke. Also unstable bridge hand effects stroke. If you stay focused you can see if you hit the target, then you should know why you missed.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I miss I think it is usually because I misjudge the cut angle on fairly severe cuts. Also I can miss because I misjudge the deflection. But I can hit the cue ball and the object ball where I want to almost all of the time.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
'Mold so my eyes have deviated somewhat from symmetrical. On good tables, thin ones from a distance used to be cake. Now just eyeballing them can result in thick hits one way and completely missing the ball the other. The thing that sticks out about it is my errors are consistent. From way back in the clueless banger days, I've used this epiphany to ratchet up my abilities with simple adjustments. This process while slow and only the first stage, (centralizing and incorporating the compensations are another magnitude of work) should work for now and maybe on out. lol...