Cue stolen at pool room - culprit found - what would you do?

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With respect, this doesn't make much sense. If he took time to break it down, hide it and walk out, then you believe something must be done...but, if the cue was in the case and he stuffed it under his coat and walked out then it's a different situation???

Stealing is stealing no matter how it's done. It's not a mistake, it's a conscious decision to deprive someone of their property.

It's a pain in the ass to go through the legal system for a matter like this, but if you don't, then the thief gets a freebe. He can go on to steal again and if caught, he might get another break b/c nothing is on his record.

Just saying easy to walk up on a case, pretty ballsy to walk up unscrew and then put under your coat.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he should’ve been arrested. I work with At resk Youths You wouldn’t believe how many chances they get because the guy Did not press charges. I believe he would’ve learned a valuable lesson in life if he had to go to court name in the paper embarrasses family. Buy not pressing charges he thinks he can get away with it again.Just my opinion.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Just saying easy to walk up on a case, pretty ballsy to walk up unscrew and then put under your coat.

It is only easy to walk up on a case and take it--for a thief. That wouldn't at all be easy for a normal decent person.

Add me in as another that sees absolutely no difference whatsoever in whether or not he had to unscrew the cue...lol. That's beyond silly.

As to the main question of the thread, yes, he should have been prosecuted. You don't learn life lessons when there aren't repercussions that are serious enough to actually make you learn your lesson. For that matter, when they let you off what you learn is that crime does indeed pay, and that people aren't usually going to hold you accountable anyway, and so you might as well keep your thieving going or even increase your efforts.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I’d probably do nothing.
...and he’ll probably bar himself....how can he show his face?

On the other hand, if the Huebler had an original shaft with the nylon insert...
....I might engage a professional hitman. :cool:

Pt - you are SO dramatic... I mean, srsly, you wouldn't give any thought to an *amateur* hitman? :grin:

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of armchair sheriffs here![/QUOTE

It's just a thing or stuff. Back in my youth it would have been street justice. Back in the day he'd have no idea what street justice really is. I'm talking 40+ years ago. Today I'm too old for jail.
He'll get his just desert eventually but not from me. Your friend got his cue back so lesson learned. Don't leave your cue un- attended.

If you think I'm a push over you have no idea what I'm capable of doing or have done.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Lots of armchair sheriffs here![/QUOTE

It's just a thing or stuff. Back in my youth it would have been street justice. Back in the day he'd have no idea what street justice really is. I'm talking 40+ years ago. Today I'm too old for jail.
He'll get his just desert eventually but not from me. Your friend got his cue back so lesson learned. Don't leave your cue un- attended.

If you think I'm a push over you have no idea what I'm capable of doing or have done.

A bit easier said than done. Many ( **many** ) moons ago, I was in the middle of a game ( gambling ) of several hours length in a room that wasn't my home room, but *was* a room in the next town over that I had been in many times. I had to use the restroom. Laid my ( practically ) brand new, moderately-priced Meucci on the table and away I went. Came back maybe 3 or 4 minutes, tops, later and, what-do-you-know? No Meucci. Gone. Without a trace. And the room was very busy, lots of action, so no one paying particular attention to anything specific. No one noticed anything. And I had several friends nearby. Nada. Nothing. No suspects. No clues. Gone. And this was long before security cameras.

So, you should be as careful as you can but I think most will agree that going to the restroom in a room you're very familiar with shouldn't constitute hiring a temp security guard for your cue while you go take a whiz, right? And I know someone will probably say "take your cue to the restroom with you, but... I gotta say, in over 50 years of being in pool rooms, not *once*, literally EVER, have I seen anyone go to the bathroom with their cue in their hand. I'm guessing if you took a poll at any given big-action room, "do you need to take your cue with you when you take a whiz?", "no" is going to come in as the heavy favorite over "yes". Just a hunch, though...

And I liked that Meucci. A lot...

Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since he got the cue back , forget it and move on. My father in law was a lawyer and said nobody wins if you go to court. Not worth the hassle, having the mess on your mind for a 6 months to a year. Will surely wreck your game :)
He'll steal again and get caught.

That sounds like lawyer advice - kick the can down the road and let him become someone else's problem. And then what if the someone else also knows a lawyer with such sterling advice.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If getting caught isn't enough, pressing charges will just put a bigger chip on his shoulder.

So let him get away with stealing small things so he won't start stealing bigger things? Really?

The rule in real life is you always get more of whatever you allow. That is why the broken window model of policing is so effective.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think it depends on his criminal history as to what you do. For sure tell the room owner and let the regulars know who he is.

Not blaming the owner of the cue but what was he doing when the cue was stolen? My cue goes to the mens room with me.

He wouldn't HAVE a recorded criminal history if he gets let off each time.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Good to see the younger generation is starting to take an interest in the game after all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A bit easier said than done. Many ( **many** ) moons ago, I was in the middle of a game ( gambling ) of several hours length in a room that wasn't my home room, but *was* a room in the next town over that I had been in many times. I had to use the restroom. Laid my ( practically ) brand new, moderately-priced Meucci on the table and away I went. Came back maybe 3 or 4 minutes, tops, later and, what-do-you-know? No Meucci. Gone. Without a trace. And the room was very busy, lots of action, so no one paying particular attention to anything specific. No one noticed anything. And I had several friends nearby. Nada. Nothing. No suspects. No clues. Gone. And this was long before security cameras.

So, you should be as careful as you can but I think most will agree that going to the restroom in a room you're very familiar with shouldn't constitute hiring a temp security guard for your cue while you go take a whiz, right? And I know someone will probably say "take your cue to the restroom with you, but... I gotta say, in over 50 years of being in pool rooms, not *once*, literally EVER, have I seen anyone go to the bathroom with their cue in their hand. I'm guessing if you took a poll at any given big-action room, "do you need to take your cue with you when you take a whiz?", "no" is going to come in as the heavy favorite over "yes". Just a hunch, though...

And I liked that Meucci. A lot...

Who here hasn't made a mistake? I did when I was younger. Shame on me. I stoled from a thief. I was but a kid of 13. Small time, a transistor radio That was my one suck at the pump. While other kids soled hub caps and cars I didn't.
Yes, I take my cues when I take a wizz if no one well watch them.
I've known a lot of people who have a record; I hung out with the wild bunch. Some would have been better off if the received a slap on the wrist instead of jail time or a criminal record. Some had it coming; some did not. What's done is done in this case.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The aim of the law is punitive not didactic

Crime should be punished first

it is not the function of the law to teach life lessons or provide forgiveness

that is a different theater altogether

call the cops
don't expect the kid to learn a life lesson,seldom happens

punish the thief and protect the good guys

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He wouldn't HAVE a recorded criminal history if he gets let off each time.

You are incorrect. In my city twice in the last three years the driver in a drive-by shooting was found guilty and put right back on the street by the judge.

He has a criminal history and he is back on the street. Ever heard of the "no snitch" rule? That's the reason people don't press charges or talk to the police. The judges put the guy back on the street and especially if he is in a gang you got a problem if you were the one who went to the police.

So to answer the op's question I'd say it depends on who you are dealing with.

demartini rocks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to the op of this thread.

how long ago did this 'tard steal your cue?
has he been back to that poolroom again since that last incident? if yes then that kid has got balls.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
to the op of this thread.

how long ago did this 'tard steal your cue?
has he been back to that poolroom again since that last incident? if yes then that kid has got balls.

just to be clear (again) he didn't steal *my* cue, but rather, it was a cue belonging to a guy who regularly plays in our practice league.

The young fella who did the stealing has not been back since the stealing occurred which was approx 2 weeks ago.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

DblGonzo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last thing people want is to worry about a thief in a pool hall. Since no charges were filed. I would get a headshot of this guy and post it at the door.

Let everyone know who he is and make him feel it.

A ban from league play if he is in a league.

And the owner of the pool hall should not let him in the door.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just to be clear (again) he didn't steal *my* cue, but rather, it was a cue belonging to a guy who regularly plays in our practice league.

The young fella who did the stealing has not been back since the stealing occurred which was approx 2 weeks ago.

best,
brian kc

That is not a terrible outcome.

G-UP

Registered
I completely agree with DblGonzo.

"The last thing people want is to worry about a thief in a pool hall. Since no charges were filed. I would get a headshot of this guy and post it at the door.

Let everyone know who he is and make him feel it.

A ban from league play if he is in a league.

And the owner of the pool hall should not let him in the door."

I run a pool league and if I knew of anyone in my league had stolen a cue that was playing in my league he would be kicked from it. I don't play around with folks who steal cues. You can steal my car but dont dare touch my cue.
I use to leave my cue on a table in the pool room I use to play in and sit at a distance from it watching over it like a hawk waiting for the moment someone tried to take it so I could go upside his head with a house cue as he tried to walk out with it. I realized afterwards how stupid I was at trying to set someone up for a beating and myself for a criminal charge.

I wish there were a database on the web with pictures of convicted cue thieves so they could all be outed.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the hek?

I feel so old. Days later this is still being discussed. Horse thieves, gun thieves and cue thieves, some one please call the cops on the thief. Good grief...