Help Identifying Unknown??? Players

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Seriously - if you thought either of those pictures were of Johnny Archer or Karen Corr I would take a closer look at all the other photos you thought you had positively identified because those pictures look nothi mg like either of them.

Dweller,

Thank you for the critique of our efforts to identify these players. I'll be sure to tell the other six people involved in this project that they, like me must be near blind. I'm heading for 72 this year and use this as my excuse :rolleyes: . On the positive side, other posters have at least attempted to help. Two players were positively identified. Two remain a question mark. I'll have fifth third up in a few minutes.

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
The player in the upper left picture looks like Jimmy Fusco to me. But I can't find a picture of him using a cue like that.

Robert,

There is a picture of Jimmy already on the wall. It's definitely not him in the photo in question. Thanks for the input.

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Could it have been Claude Bernatchez?

claude-bernatchez-2.gif

http://www.cuesight.com/98-claude-bernatchez.html

Dana,

His name was Claude not Clyde. Remember CB from the Joss events in the Nortteast. This was a Native Canadian road player. Thanks.

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Folks,

It just occurred to me, Loree Jon Jones was playing at the same event as the guy we originally thought might be Johnny Archer. Any chance it may have been Sammy Jones? Never met the guy so I'm not sure of his physical appearance in the late nineties. Talk about a wild guess. Photos of Sammy are not conclusive. Comments?

Lyn

Dagwoodz

the dude abides...
Silver Member
Folks,

It just occurred to me, Loree Jon Jones was playing at the same event as the guy we originally thought might be Johnny Archer. Any chance it may have been Sammy Jones? Never met the guy so I'm not sure of his physical appearance in the late nineties. Talk about a wild guess. Photos of Sammy are not conclusive. Comments?

Lyn

Can't say for certain, but it could very well be Sammy. Played golf with him down in SC a few years ago. Granted, he was 20+ years advanced from when that picture would have been taken, but I can see how that could be him. Sorry I can't be more definitive for you Lyn.

The Hulk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Folks,

Lyn

Just looking at Wade Crane's apperance in the photo's here and looking at his apperance in the YouTube video dated photos. I don't think it's possible those photos could have been taken in the late 90's. I would say 88-91/92 would be a much better guess. The photos of him in the video dated 1995 are a dead giveaway.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

Dana Bufalo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Folks,
The new owner of East Ridge Billiards in Rochester, New York created a display of sixty or so photographs his late father took during the late nineties and early two thousands. Of those photos, we were able to accurately identify nearly all. The four players shown in the attached photos are "unknown". One we're pretty sure is a younger Karen Corr without her glasses. Another appears to be Johnny Archer. The other two are mysteries. Any assistance in identifying these players would be greatly appreciated.
Lyn

Lyn,

An Albany based player from that era told me that the first photo could be Rich "Slim" Walawender from Utica.., he said you would remember Rich.

Dana

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that's Ray Martin but he still posts on this website under the username ghostball so somebody could ask him.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think that's Ray Martin but he still posts on this website under the username ghostball so somebody could ask him.

I think these photos actually have made it into a billiard magazine. They are very familiar to me, especially the photo of Peg Ledman and the photo of the player using the bridge. My memory tells me that the first time I saw this photo, whoever it is didn't seem like that's who it was. Ray Martin is what's been in my memory banks.

Freddie <~~~ or could be dreaming, again

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think these photos actually have made it into a billiard magazine. They are very familiar to me, especially the photo of Peg Ledman and the photo of the player using the bridge. My memory tells me that the first time I saw this photo, whoever it is didn't seem like that's who it was. Ray Martin is what's been in my memory banks.

Fred
I agree .. I think

The pictures all look familiar especially the first and the one of WC.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Interesting - Ray Martin.

https://youtu.be/apf-EZf2LGI?t=4010

Could be but Ray had darker hair, preferred shooting left handed to using the bridge, and it doesn't look like Ray. Maybe he was in disguise.

By the way, if Ray would film himself in a similar instructional 14.1 video with today's technology I'd buy it.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Folks,

Lyn

Nope, not Sammy Jones nor is it Ray Martin. Way too much hair for Jim Rempe.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lyn,
after sleeping on it, I do seem to remember Gary being interviewed and filmed at the table behind the announcer's podium at one point in time. I think it goes back to my thoughts of possible filming and distribution of the tournament but nothing ever came of it, much to Gary's disgust.