View Single Post
Old
  (#14)
Nick B
This is gonna hurt
Nick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-15-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1234 View Post
From my experience, you should press an Elkmaster tip first. I usually press for a couple of days. I have also found that moistening the tip before trimming to size also helps. Best of luck. I just use a Triangle tip and still get the feel and sound of a soft tip.
When I used to go old school I had a setup that pressed 4 at a time in a vice with the tops in a cone shape approaching a dime (I would leave under compression for 2 days or longer). I would say that 1 in 4 would just blow up. Another 25% would crack or not look right. Only 25-30% of all tips were worth putting on. Mind you these are unscientific numbers from cheap Elk Masters. Your results may vary. At minimum if I didn't have any pressed around I would put on a flat surface and knock the softness out of them with a hammer and the sand the bottoms.

Elk Masters will also soak up the glue. This is generally not a problem because you should never play a tip down that far....any tip. Especially with a soft LD type ferule.

Cue: Foster, Break/Jump: Foster
http://www.fostercues.com/
Name: Nick Beretanos

Last edited by Nick B; 09-15-2019 at 12:45 PM.