View Single Post
Old
  (#52)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-18-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softshot View Post
the minor masse effect needed to curve around the edge of a ball is my main contention for "squirt is useful"

the less deflection a shaft has the more difficult it becomes to make the same shot...not saying it can't be learned.. but it IS more difficult.. less deflection means you need more swerve which equates to more english.. and a more extreme stroke line to make the same shot.

I can aim the cut as straight and by minor shift to the side and a minor jacking up on the back of the cue I can connect the curve to the straight aim line easier and with less compensation..

the theoretical squirtless cue has to do this all with swerve meaning a much bigger curve requiring more extreme english to compensate, and far more difficult aiming.
I look at the shot differently. The cue ball will follow the same path in either case. With a low-squirt cue, you have to aim a little farther from the obstructing ball, but you are aiming closer to the actual starting path of the cue ball. I agree that with a high-squirt cue you can more or less ignore the ball you're going to swerve around, but I do the same with a low-squirt shaft. I simply aim to make the ball with the side spin and elevation I need and I try to ignore the obstructing ball and trust the swerve to be there.

I think whether the shot feels harder or not depends a lot more on the player than the cue stick.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy