Question for Gilbert J/B owners

twilight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I acquired an Andy Gilbert j/B cue and it's great but there's just one thing that I have a tiny problem with. The balance point isn't where I like it to be. I bought it because I've heard so many good things about these cues and they're true.

I was wondering what is the balace point in your Gilbert j/b cue, measured from the end of the but cap (not bumper)?

I wouldn't consider it butt heavy, but I would like it more forward balanced. One option I was considering was asking Andy to make a new shaft, preferably heavier shaft wood and taking a few ounces off the weight bolt. Hopefully the desired outcome would be a slightly more forward balanced cue, I'm hoping at least an inch, would prefer 2 inches. I wouldn't mind a shaft .25-.05oz heavier and butt .5-.75oz lighter for a net loss no more than .05oz

A second option is to order a new gilbert J/B exactly the weight and balance I want. Of course the wait list would be around 4-5 months plus build time. Meanwhile I can play with this gilbert, and sell it when the new one is here.

neither option would cost me a lot more money. 1) sell old shaft buy new 2) sell old cue buy new

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Suggestion ...

You said you acquired the cue? I take that to mean you did not buy it or try it?

Have a 14mm shaft made for it. The shaft will be heavier, be better for breaking and jumping (stiffier). A few ounces can not be taken off the bolt
since bolts normally do not weigh more than 2 ounces to begin with. Find out what type of bolt is in it first, and how long it is, and if it is glued in to
keep it from coming loose. Talk to Andy, tell him what you want to do,and see what he thinks, listen to his suggestions for moving the balance point forward.

twilight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
You said you acquired the cue? I take that to mean you did not buy it or try it?

Have a 14mm shaft made for it. The shaft will be heavier, be better for breaking and jumping (stiffier). A few ounces can not be taken off the bolt
since bolts normally do not weigh more than 2 ounces to begin with. Find out what type of bolt is in it first, and how long it is, and if it is glued in to
keep it from coming loose. Talk to Andy, tell him what you want to do,and see what he thinks, listen to his suggestions for moving the balance point forward.

? not sure what you mean by not buying or trying? :confused:
hmm anyways yeah, I think I'll give him a call, but 14mm is too big for a playing cue. I was thinking just heavier shaft wood. Anyway, for those who have a Gilber j/b where is the balance point on yours?

deadstroke32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
twilight said:
? not sure what you mean by not buying or trying? :confused:
hmm anyways yeah, I think I'll give him a call, but 14mm is too big for a playing cue. I was thinking just heavier shaft wood. Anyway, for those who have a Gilber j/b where is the balance point on yours?

do want to jus play with it or break with it ? if so pm me and i'll tell ya something help u out with this insted of going with a 14mm shaft,,,

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
I'm assuming you have one of the ones Andy made with Aluminum 3/8-10 pins. Those do feel butt heavy. Replace one or both joint pins with steel or brass and your problem is solved. If Andy won't do it...pm me.

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
Mine's ebony/BEM and balanced pretty far back. Luckily, I only break and jump with it so I've never cared.

-s

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
My Gilbert J/B is the most forward weighted cue. It's balanced at 20.5" from the butt and the cue is 60".