Extraordinary customer service-Predator Cues

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last week I found a hairline crack on my predator cue shaft, from the ferrule and back about 1 1/4 inches. . I sent it into Predator and it was delivered by fed-ex (my mailbox buddy told me that if you want something to be delivered "safely", use fed-ex)...Predator signed for acceptance on Friday (1/10/13) at 2:18pm.
at 5:30 pm that same day (3 hours later) I received a call from the service department.and the reason for the crack was the fact that the diameter of the shaft had been reduced. I am sure this was caused by my cleaning procedure for the past 2 years. I would clean with denatured alcohol and a "magic eraser" and then 2000 grit paper.....I guess too often. in the future I would like to know of an alternative as the tables I have played on are past being dirty. just let the shaft turn blue? Predator offered me a discount on a new shaft as they could not warranty the item due to what I would call "abuse". I have no problem with that...hope to have the new shaft in a few days so I can go back to what I do.....play pool! :grin-square:
kudos to Predator for the service and prompt response! :dance::happydance::woot:

shamadam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you tell us what kind of shaft it was? If it was a 314 shaft that started out at 12.75 mm and you turned it down to about 11.75 mm than I don't see it as abuse. I see it as you turning the cue down to the Predator Z shaft diameter. The Z shafts come at 11.75 mm brand new. Now if it was a Z shaft, and you turned that down even thinner, than I could see it being a problem. Just curious.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I had a problem with a predator shaft once and they gave me a new one no questions asked and no pro rate. The way they do an exchange is exactly like how tire shops do it if you purchase the road hazard package. If you have a 314 or 314-2 for example, they go off the original diameter and the closer it is to that the less difference you pay. If the shaft is full size and the problem is faulty craftsmanship you pay nothing.

I had a 314-2 predator shaft that I would only clean with a damp cloth, just to get the blue off. I had it about 6 months and it cracked right down by the joint collar. I sent it back to predator and said I had a defective shaft. they called me a week later and said they wouldn't warranty it because I was BREAKING with it. (which they considered abuse) thing is I never broke with it. I asked them how they could tell, they said we know these things. they just didn't want to give me a new shaft. they said they would give me a new shaft at 20% off. I said to send the shaft back. as soon as I got the shaft back, I broke it into splinters and sent it back to them. ive never used a predator again ! my opinion is predator shafts are over rated !

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a new predator cue through Seyberts and a z2 and 314-2 shafts about 1 year ago. Did some research on the 314 as I wanted a thinner shaft. Seyberts turned down the 314 to 12.25mm. This was the minimum diameter Predator would allow to maintain warranty. I believe I doubled checked that number and found the 12.25 diameter listed on the Predator site somewhere. It was in fine print.
I would say if you didn't turn it down then it was Terrible Poor Service. You'd have to be sanding every day to take that much off in 2 years.
Glad to hear the story though. If I have problems with mine I'll send it back to Seybert's not directly into Predator.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a 314-2 predator shaft that I would only clean with a damp cloth, just to get the blue off. I had it about 6 months and it cracked right down by the joint collar. I sent it back to predator and said I had a defective shaft. they called me a week later and said they wouldn't warranty it because I was BREAKING with it. (which they considered abuse) thing is I never broke with it. I asked them how they could tell, they said we know these things. they just didn't want to give me a new shaft. they said they would give me a new shaft at 20% off. I said to send the shaft back. as soon as I got the shaft back, I broke it into splinters and sent it back to them. ive never used a predator again ! my opinion is predator shafts are over rated !

lol, well done my friend. :thumbup:

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a new predator cue through Seyberts and a z2 and 314-2 shafts about 1 year ago. Did some research on the 314 as I wanted a thinner shaft. Seyberts turned down the 314 to 12.25mm. This was the minimum diameter Predator would allow to maintain warranty. I believe I doubled checked that number and found the 12.25 diameter listed on the Predator site somewhere. It was in fine print.
I would say if you didn't turn it down then it was Terrible Poor Service. You'd have to be sanding every day to take that much off in 2 years.
Glad to hear the story though. If I have problems with mine I'll send it back to Seybert's not directly into Predator.

the plot thickens

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had an original 314 shaft that warped so I sent it back and got the classic response. We will not replace the shaft as it is ACCEPTABLY WARPED...I had a good laugh stuck it in an old case in the closet where it sits today.. So much for Predator their customer service is extra ordinary no doubt!!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You can clean your ferrule with toothpaste and not reduce it at all. I would say you did a LOT of sanding with 2000 grit to get it to a point where it would crack. I am not sure if I would have accepted that reasoning. Then again I have never had a ferrule crack on me other than ivory. I have never seen the synthetic materials on any of my ferrules crack in the past twenty years.

Wait I take it back.

I had ONE ferrule break, it was something experimental that Joe Piccone gave me to try out, maybe corian or something like that, I took it to the pool room and it exploded into splinters. That was in 1989.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
You can clean your ferrule with toothpaste and not reduce it at all. I would say you did a LOT of sanding with 2000 grit to get it to a point where it would crack. I am not sure if I would have accepted that reasoning. Then again I have never had a ferrule crack on me other than ivory. I have never seen the synthetic materials on any of my ferrules crack in the past twenty years.

Wait I take it back.

I had ONE ferrule break, it was something experimental that Joe Piccone gave me to try out, maybe corian or something like that, I took it to the pool room and it exploded into splinters. That was in 1989.

John,

You never owned a 1980's Meucci. Don't remember a ferrule NOT cracking :eek: !

Lyn

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is off the Predator site

TIP DIAMETER. We do not recommend turning your shaft down. You can choose to turn your shaft, but any 3142 shaft turned below 12.25 mm, any Z2 shaft turned below 11.40 mm, and any Fat shaft turned below 12.70 mm will result in an automatic void of your warranty.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I took it to the pool room and it exploded into splinters. That was in 1989.

It wasn't me, my Exploding Ferrules Corporation wasn't formed until 2013.

This reminds me that I have to send a snapped Poison Venom break shaft back to The Predator Group.
When it happened (a while ago) on Predator's website they said send them an email explaining the problem, they might take care of it, and sometimes emails are passed around for everybody to laugh at.
I said "here's a real knee slapper, my Poison Venom shaft broke in half"
They said no problem send it back, I just need to do it.

mcsock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to get a LD shaft for my play cue. Some people seem to get ok cust. service from Predator, other do not. This is enough to steer me away to a different brand of shaft. In this small of a market, rep is a big deal.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure this was caused by my cleaning procedure for the past 2 years. I would clean with denatured alcohol and a "magic eraser" and then 2000 grit paper.....I guess too often. in the future I would like to know of an alternative as the tables I have played on are past being dirty. just let the shaft turn blue?

Before any play, I put 10 thick and heavy coats of Carnuba wax on the shaft.
Then when the shaft picks up the first tinge of blue, I wipe it down with a slightly damp terry cloth, then I wipe it down with a completely dry terry cloth.

I have used this procedure for 5 years on my Z2 without any warping and it still looks new.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't get why most people have the blueing problem on their shaft. Just chalk properly and don't let chalk fall on the ferrule and on the shaft.

Just use a damp cloth to wipe if any blue stuffs falls or sticks on it and rewipe it immediately with a dry cloth.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:confused:

Now are they going to send you the old shaft back too?

Hopefully they will send you the old shaft too.

I'd like to buy the cracked shaft at a discount.:thumbup: