SJM is Begging You - Support Matchroom!

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom needs to lead by example!

They start out with scheninigans and then expect the industry to rally behind it!

Matchroom European success is related to the fact that Europeans dominate snooker and Europeans love to see themselves in their idols!

Americans have not had a idol that looks like them since Larry Bird!

I support all pool ventures and express my opinion to see integrity restored. Matchroom built snooker based on integrity and honesty! No match fixing and the highest standards for dress of any sport! They enter pool and abandon what got them there! I was hoping for them to restore some class to the game and have been severely disappointed!

Just my 2 cents.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Moderator,

This post is offensive. "Americans have not had a idol that looks like them since Larry Bird!" speaks for itself. I do not know the process for requesting removal of a post but this one should be considered for removal.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I for one am glad to see Matchroom take over the U.S. Open. I worked on the previous incarnation of that event for fifteen years and it was a roller coaster ride most of that time. I've also worked with Matchroom several times and they have consistently operated at a high level of professionalism at all times. I'm sure we will see more of the same next week at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, a well run event at a first class venue.

My only concern early on was upping the field to 256 players and attempting to play down to sixteen players in three days. That is a monumental undertaking that requires more pool tables, more staff and more that can go wrong. I would have liked to see them take four days for this part of the event and only two days for the final sixteen to play out. From what I see now, they have addressed this issue and it will be a hectic first three days. Shades of Derby City, but nirvana for pool fans with good matches going on all over the place.

I will be there reporting on the goings on beginning on day three when the final elimination matches are taking place to cull the huge field to the final sixteen. That should be a very exciting day. I'm looking forward to it. :thumbup2:

Jay, like you and pretty much any pool fan, I hope them opening the field to 256 doesn't prove fatal or at least cause the problems that we all know and hate.

As you said, 4 days before finals would have took a lot of would-be problems pretty much out of the equation or, as far out as they could've been and still hold an event of that magnitude.

Fingers crossed!!!!!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is going to be an amazing and successful event. The fact that it filled months in advance and currently has a long waiting list is the first evidence of that.

I tried to buy VIP tickets for the last day and could only get 1! So I think they might now be sold out!

Many of the players are bringing friends, family, and backers from all over the world to fill the seats.

I'm glad that I'm going to be in the middle of it all--first as a player, then as a spectator.

I'll see everyone in there on Saturday!

Wow. Steve, you are so lucky! Take photos. I want to hear about your experience competing too. This is cool. Very cool! :cool:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moderator,

This post is offensive. "Americans have not had a idol that looks like them since Larry Bird!" speaks for itself. I do not know the process for requesting removal of a post but this one should be considered for removal.

I do not think the post was offensive. Kid is just sharing his opinion. He is disappointed in the payouts and a few other things about the event. It's okay. He didn't insult anyone. Some of his thoughts have merit.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I for one am glad to see Matchroom take over the U.S. Open. I worked on the previous incarnation of that event for fifteen years and it was a roller coaster ride most of that time. I've also worked with Matchroom several times and they have consistently operated at a high level of professionalism at all times. I'm sure we will see more of the same next week at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, a well run event at a first class venue.

My only concern early on was upping the field to 256 players and attempting to play down to sixteen players in three days. That is a monumental undertaking that requires more pool tables, more staff and more that can go wrong. I would have liked to see them take four days for this part of the event and only two days for the final sixteen to play out. From what I see now, they have addressed this issue and it will be a hectic first three days. Shades of Derby City, but nirvana for pool fans with good matches going on all over the place.

I will be there reporting on the goings on beginning on day three when the final elimination matches are taking place to cull the huge field to the final sixteen. That should be a very exciting day. I'm looking forward to it. :thumbup2:

Matchroom needs to get you in the booth, Jay. I like Ted and Karl and Alex, but we need an American's voice there too, one who knows the players as well as the game itself.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will buy the livestream for sure! Heck, yeah!

This event is being advertised as produced by "Matchroom Multi Sport." What is the difference between "Matchroom Sport" and "Matchroom Multi Sport"? Does anybody know? Is one a subsidiary of the other?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

I'm just as enthusiastic as you, Jay, and your concerns are justified. Nonetheless, the production costs must be managed by Matchroom and adding a day would add significantly to those costs. More than anything, I want this event to succeed financially, and year one may test Matchroom to the max in terms of logistics and planning.

If the schedule proves too ambitious, though, and Tuesday's late matches, which will seal the last spots in the knockout round, go into the wee hours, a change may be needed for 2020. Should that prove the case, though, I don't think they need to add a day. They could, of course, just a) start the daily sessions at 8:00 AM rather than 9:00 AM for the first three days, or b) make loser side matches races to 10 instead of 11.

I know that Matchroom has been very ambitious in allowing such a large field. Let's face it, 256 is aggressive, but I see it as a step forward for the event. That said, though, the financial sustainability of the event, to me, matters more than anything.

Growing pains may well be in play here, but in year one, we'll see how it goes.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not think the post was offensive. Kid is just sharing his opinion. He is disappointed in the payouts and a few other things about the event. It's okay. He didn't insult anyone. Some of his thoughts have merit.

Yeah it is. He's ALWAY'S got to play the race card somewhere,somehow.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm happy the final 16 individual stage will be broadcast on DAZN here in Canada. (of which I'm a subscriber for Snooker and Darts, etc.)

Should be production knowing Matchroom.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Yeah it is. He's ALWAY'S got to play the race card somewhere,somehow.
This is America!

Are you saying that the beneficiaries of the seeding are not white!

Are you saying that those hurt are not Asian

For the third time! Why deviate from luck of the draw and established ranking systems ???

Lots of people here don't like me cause I rock the boat! But, tell that to all the young guns that got their shot because of the big stink I have made over the years!

Do you think that they would have gotten the spot light! Or would it still be Archer, Morris, hatch, Williams , CJ for eternity!

Right is right and wrong is wrong! Sadly, integrity is in short supply around here!

Sincerely,
Kd

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm happy the final 16 individual stage will be broadcast on DAZN here in Canada. (of which I'm a subscriber for Snooker and Darts, etc.)

Should be production knowing Matchroom.

You're right to be excited. For years, we've seen Matchroom shine in one-table format streams/telecasts, especially at the Mosconi. Nobody produces a better product in pool.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm just as enthusiastic as you, Jay, and your concerns are justified. Nonetheless, the production costs must be managed by Matchroom and adding a day would add significantly to those costs. More than anything, I want this event to succeed financially, and year one may test Matchroom to the max in terms of logistics and planning.

If the schedule proves too ambitious, though, and Tuesday's late matches, which will seal the last spots in the knockout round, go into the wee hours, a change may be needed for 2020. Should that prove the case, though, I don't think they need to add a day. They could, of course, just a) start the daily sessions at 8:00 AM rather than 9:00 AM for the first three days, or b) make loser side matches races to 10 instead of 11.

I know that Matchroom has been very ambitious in allowing such a large field. Let's face it, 256 is aggressive, but I see it as a step forward for the event. That said, though, the financial sustainability of the event, to me, matters more than anything.

Growing pains may well be in play here, but in year one, we'll see how it goes.

One of the suggestions I made early on to our friend Luke was to play the first three day matches as a Race to Nine and not Eleven. You and I both know how long a Race to Eleven can take even with a shot clock. I made other suggestions as well (32 tables minimum, shot clock on every match, referee racks), most of which they have acted on, which I'm glad to see. I also told him about the way we play the Swanee tournament in two days with 192 players. We use a "roll on, roll off" method of scheduling matches, meaning we go right down the list and the next match starts as soon as a table opens up. By scheduling so tight a time frame, they have done essentially that.

Like you say here, this first event with 256 players will be a learning experience for Matchroom. Regardless of that I fully expect to see a very professionally run event with a well coordinated staff and ample accommodations made for the players. That's the Matchroom way!

By the way for those who are interested, they will have to play 480 matches in three days to pare the field down to sixteen final players. It's going to be a very busy place in that ballroom of the Mandalay Bay. I can see everybody moving around from area to area to watch the best matches all day long. Should be fun vying for seats, with standing room only for the best match ups. Kind of like what we are used to at Derby City. :smile:

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
One of the suggestions I made early on to our friend Luke was to play the first three day matches as a Race to Nine and not Eleven. You and I both know how long a Race to Eleven can take even with a shot clock. I made other suggestions as well (32 tables minimum, shot clock on every match, referee racks), most of which they have acted on, which I'm glad to see. I also told him about the way we play the Swanee tournament in two days with 192 players. We use a "roll on, roll off" method of scheduling matches, meaning we go right down the list and the next match starts as soon as a table opens up. By scheduling so tight a time frame, they have done essentially that.

Like you say here, this first event with 256 players will be a learning experience for Matchroom. Regardless of that I fully expect to see a very professionally run event with a well coordinated staff and ample accommodations made for the players. That's the Matchroom way!
A running schedule is a great idea! Next up then next table available is yours! It gets funny with the TV table!

Only suggestion I would make having played in events is no back to back matches. Get off one table and right to another with out the ability to catch your breath!

With the rolling table use you could skip one section with the delay and move on! But, seen it so many times that they want to wait for someone or play catch up at the expense of the players that are fatigue and in need of a few minutes to eat and re-energize.

Just some food for thought on the topic!

Kd

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As an example of what Matchroom has done for snooker, for the World Championship which is about to start, there are sixteen or so players who just qualified in special pre-tournament qualifiers. Each of those players will receive at least $13,000 even if they win no match in the main event.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... By the way for those who are interested, they will have to play 480 matches in three days to pare the field down to sixteen final players. ...

Actually 488, Jay. The 240 players who are out will have each lost twice = 480 matches. But 8 of the final 16 players will have lost once, so that's another 8 matches = 488.

Or, you can count the number of matches in each round:

Winners' side: 128 + 64 + 32 + 16 + 8 = 248
Losers' side: 64 + 64 + 32 + 32 + 16 + 16 + 8 + 8 = 240
Total: 488 matches, leaving 8 players undefeated and 8 with 1 loss going to single-elimination

[This assumes no forfeits.]

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is America!

Are you saying that the beneficiaries of the seeding are not white!

Are you saying that those hurt are not Asian

For the third time! Why deviate from luck of the draw and established ranking systems ???

Lots of people here don't like me cause I rock the boat! But, tell that to all the young guns that got their shot because of the big stink I have made over the years!

Do you think that they would have gotten the spot light! Or would it still be Archer, Morris, hatch, Williams , CJ for eternity!

Right is right and wrong is wrong! Sadly, integrity is in short supply around here!

Sincerely,
Kd

So, what young guns owe their career's to you and what does Larry Bird have to do with anything pool? I do agree it should be luck of the draw, you pull another champ so be it.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Only suggestion I would make having played in events is no back to back matches. Get off one table and right to another with out the ability to catch your breath!

Excellent point. I have seen tournament directors get this wrong on numerous occasions over the years.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Only suggestion I would make having played in events is no back to back matches. Get off one table and right to another with out the ability to catch your breath! ...
In a double elimination tournament that has lots of tables you will have back-to-back matches in the later stages. If you are in the losers' bracket you can expect to play continuously towards the end.

The alternative is to stretch out the tournament to take longer by adding breaks. I think the best the players can hope for is a 20 minute break minimum between matches. Perhaps that is stated in the player's contract.

The tentative match times for the first few rounds are shown on the on-line chart at https://cuescore.com/tournament/bracket/?id=5185877 and it is obviously roll-on-roll-off. During the first few rounds it is very easy to avoid back-to-backs. Later is it more or less impossible.

I see that they are starting at 9AM Sunday and the last match of the day is scheduled for a 9:30PM start. There will be about seven matches per table and it looks like they are estimating two hours per match.

I think the Cuescore people who are handling the scheduling are very competent and will do the best job possible given that the double-elimination part must finish in three days.