Daily puzzle, beat SVB!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
There's about a 6' landing area to get on the 6, from mid-table to the near rail all the way to the end rail. If you don't have the speed control for the spot shown, choose another one.

pj
chgo

With perfect speed control like you have why not play the 6 first then?
Jason

Not trying to be a d!@k, but why take the chance of overrunning position when there is so much on the line? Nerves alone could make you under or overhit by way more than 6"

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
With perfect speed control like you have why not play the 6 first then?
Jason

Not trying to be a d!@k, but why take the chance of overrunning position when there is so much on the line? Nerves alone could make you under or overhit by way more than 6"
6 feet. I show the CB at the end of the 6-foot landing zone, but you don't have to aim for that - any place up to 6 feet sooner is good enough.

pj
chgo

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
6 feet. I show the CB at the end of the 6-foot landing zone, but you don't have to aim for that - any place up to 6 feet sooner is good enough.

pj
chgo

My point is much shorter than where you are completely changes your route to the 8, just like any longer and you're screwed.

My comment has everything to do with you're path to the 8 on the drawing. It's such a small window(inches) that it doesnt make any sense to play it that way.

If I could place the cueball by hand to shoot the 6, that is exactly where I would place it - not arguing that point.
Jason

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
My point is much shorter than where you are completely changes your route to the 8, just like any longer and you're screwed.

My comment has everything to do with you're path to the 8 on the drawing. It's such a small window(inches) that it doesnt make any sense to play it that way.

If I could place the cueball by hand to shoot the 6, that is exactly where I would place it - not arguing that point.
Jason
Yes, that's the ideal spot - that's why I showed it there. But I disagree with the notion that it's a very sensitive target - you can be way short or even a little long (the shot works even with the CB on the end rail)... so err on the short side.

What's your preferred route?

pj
chgo

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Yes, that's the ideal spot - that's why I showed it there. But I disagree with the notion that it's a very sensitive target - you can be way short or even a little long (the shot works even with the CB on the end rail)... so err on the short side.

What's your preferred route?

pj
chgo

Same as yours, stopping where your X is in the middle of the table, probably a little to the left of that.
Jason

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I'm just too far removed from my days playing 14.1. I don't get it. Why would we bump the 8 and where would we bump it?

Especially with the scenario given: playing a world-class player. For a huge amount of money. Ball in hand.

Why would I add a level of difficulty to the run out? Why wouldn't I play the highest percentages for each shot/shape?

Not trying to call anyone out, just curious; maybe I learn something here.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I'm just too far removed from my days playing 14.1. I don't get it. Why would we bump the 8 and where would we bump it?

Especially with the scenario given: playing a world-class player. For a huge amount of money. Ball in hand.

Why would I add a level of difficulty to the run out? Why wouldn't I play the highest percentages for each shot/shape?

Not trying to call anyone out, just curious; maybe I learn something here.

I like it because with bih I can get perfect to open the ball and get the cuball up table. With the most pressure hill/ hill vs the best player in America I want getting on the game ball to be as easy as possible. I tried this shot 4 or 5 times. 8 ball was never tied up or in a poor position to win and playing shape on it was WAY easier than had I left it there. Also takes the side pocket or scratch off the 10 out of play.

Pool is creative and this scenario can be played a few different ways. Sometimes if you see something you like
and your confident in it, doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like it because with bih I can get perfect to open the ball and get the cuball up table. With the most pressure hill/ hill vs the best player in America I want getting on the game ball to be as easy as possible. I tried this shot 4 or 5 times. 8 ball was never tied up or in a poor position to win and playing shape on it was WAY easier than had I left it there. Also takes the side pocket or scratch off the 10 out of play.

Pool is creative and this scenario can be played a few different ways. Sometimes if you see something you like
and your confident in it, doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.

Okay, but where am I bumping the 8 to exactly?

And I get that pool is creative and everyone has their preferences. Heck, put a beer on the line and I'll try all kinds of draws, caroms, etc.

But if I have to play the highest percentage shots, I don't think (looking at a diagram vs looking at an actual table can change things) I ever bump the 8 anywhere. All it takes is a misjudged angle, a misjudged speed, or whatever and the cue and/or the 8 goes somewhere dozens of angles off where I wanted.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Between the firat and second diamond on the long rail.
You have to be confident in your cueball but its really not
all that difficult if you try it.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Between the firat and second diamond on the long rail.
You have to be confident in your cueball but its really not
all that difficult if you try it.

Yeah, I finally figured it out. I've been playing on crappy Valley barboxes too long I guess. On a 9' Gold Crown, I can definitely see how bumping the 8 might be a good play. On a barbox I don't think I'd bump it unless the 10 was really close to the 8.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Puzzle of the day!

New Puzzle of the day!
The commentators are still shocked Shane missed the 10. You’re solids and you just got a bad roll. “He did not wanna do that”. The other commentator: “that’s nerves folks. This is what happens when you play hill-hill for a million bucks.” Your shot.

99679ED7-8644-40E6-8121-A7BA7B57255A.jpeg

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a big ten ball player, unfortunately, so I'll probably pass n this one.

However, I think it would be a better idea to post each puzzle in its own thread, so we can easily keep each puzzle's responses straight. Just a thought.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I think it would be a better idea to post each puzzle in its own thread, so we can easily keep each puzzle's responses straight. Just a thought.
Quite a nice thought. Better than most.

Right draw for the 1. 3 ball to land on the top rail for the 2. Draw back for the 8.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite a nice thought. Better than most.

Right draw for the 1. 3 ball to land on the top rail for the 2. Draw back for the 8.

I don’t think you can hold the whitey with that angle. You’ll be banking the 2 and the 8 with that game plan. Unless you mean CB lands between the 3 and the 8 and the crowd goes wild.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a big ten ball player, unfortunately, so I'll probably pass n this one.

However, I think it would be a better idea to post each puzzle in its own thread, so we can easily keep each puzzle's responses straight. Just a thought.

11 ball on the table, sorry thought it was obvious: 8-ball puzzle... Not trying to take over the forum with 365 new threads a year.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1, two rails to to the 2, hope i have an angle to draw to the 3 and use the 8 to control the cueball?

Looks very tough.

I might try it later if Im in need of a headache.