Pool events worth traveling to?

lodini

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am starting to get jealous that so many of you will be hanging out at the DCC soon, and thinking that I may plan some getaways next year to some of the big events that everyone goes to. Being new to this whole tournament trail thing, I was hoping some of you could help me out and provide a list of the bigger U.S. events that are worth traveling to? Locations, dates (or times of year), and any other info would be great. Thanks in advance for your help and I hope to see you all soon:)

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Try the Smoky Mtn. Shootout in late April. Its in the heart of the mtns in Waynesville, NC. Barbox extravaganza with a ton of champions! One of the most fun events you'll attend.:)

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'd recommend any WPBA event. the girls are enjoyable to be around, Tipton does a great job as tournament director, and its just a very enjoyable, relaxed, professional atmosphere. along with some excellent playing too!

i really miss the WPBA event in Peoria.

DCP

S

Scottster

lodini said:
I am starting to get jealous that so many of you will be hanging out at the DCC soon, and thinking that I may plan some getaways next year to some of the big events that everyone goes to. Being new to this whole tournament trail thing, I was hoping some of you could help me out and provide a list of the bigger U.S. events that are worth traveling to? Locations, dates (or times of year), and any other info would be great. Thanks in advance for your help and I hope to see you all soon:)

The Derby City is pool's equivalent to the Daytona 500. Since you are in Florida, I would recommend attending one of the Seminole Tribe's Florida Pro Tour Events.

Valley Forge in PA. and Turning Stone would be other good events to attend IMHO.

jamesroberts

"Unheralded Amateur"
Silver Member
Scottster said:
The Derby City is pool's equivalent to the Daytona 500. Since you are in Florida, I would recommend attending one of the Seminole Tribe's Florida Pro Tour Events.

Valley Forge in PA. and Turning Stone would be other good events to attend IMHO.

yup you are right on. and dont forget about the us open

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
lodini said:

Windy City Open - Chicago - January each year.
Derby City Classic - Loiusville, Kentucky - January each year
Turning Stone Classic - Verona New York - February 21-24, 2008 and August 21-24, 2008
Super Billiards Expo - Valley Forge, Pennsylvania - March each year
BCA Open - Las Vegas, Nevada - May each year
US Open - Cheasapeake, Virginia - October each year
Reno Open - Reno, Nevada - December each year
Florida Pro Tour - Throughout the year.

I'm certain others could help with the info you need.

Last edited:

lodini

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is great info so far... writing it all down and checking my schedule!

So, who's coming with me??? ;-)

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Swanny Memorial

Let's not forget the Jay Swanson Memorial Tournament at Hollywood Billiards. I believe it is happening on the second weekend in February (just around the corner). It's a regional event but you'll see some top-notch players from the left coast. Let me know if you are considering a visit.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
Try the Smoky Mtn. Shootout in late April. Its in the heart of the mtns in Waynesville, NC. Barbox extravaganza with a ton of champions! One of the most fun events you'll attend.:)

I have heard that from a couple champions, I might go there this year.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
I have heard that from a couple champions, I might go there this year.

I believe you'd enjoy it. The playing area is roped off and bleachers set up all around. They have a grill going 24/7 and have steak night one night. Kind of a laid back party atmosphere...everyone keeps slipping outside for a nip to knock the chill off. Its held at the agriculture center instead of a poolroom. The local poolroom stays open 24/7 with nonstop action. Just something very relaxing about the whole deal. Its somewhat hard to get into the event. When I get my invitation you have to put it back in the mail the same day or risk it being filled already. Often they have 100+ waiting on a stand by list in case of no shows. You'd need to reserve a room pretty fast after the 1st of the year as well. Its near Cherokee/Ghost Town & they have a HUGE Harley rally at the same time so all the hotels get full fast. I've had to stay 30 minutes away in Asheville before. Some guy named Varney will bring a half dozen j/b's for sale & they'll all get bought in 2 minutes before I can make it through the door. :)

Last edited:

COLLECTION GURU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't Be Jealous

lodini said:

I GO TO ALL THE WPBA EVENTS, BCA IN VEGAS, US OPEN, DCC, AND NOW MOSCONI CUP AS IT WAS AWESOME. I HAVE 5 BABE ONLY TV VIP SEATS AT THE DCC THIS YEAR IF YOU CAN GET AWAY TO TEST THE EXPERIENCE. AS I HAVE JUST BEEN IDENTIFIED AS BOB HOPE, I AM HARMLESS BUT LIKE MR. HOPE, PREFER TO BE AROUND LADIES, OOOPPPPPSSSS WOMEN, RATHER THAN MEN.

HAVE A GREAT TIME.

lodini

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
COLLECTION GURU said:
I GO TO ALL THE WPBA EVENTS, BCA IN VEGAS, US OPEN, DCC, AND NOW MOSCONI CUP AS IT WAS AWESOME. I HAVE 5 BABE ONLY TV VIP SEATS AT THE DCC THIS YEAR IF YOU CAN GET AWAY TO TEST THE EXPERIENCE. AS I HAVE JUST BEEN IDENTIFIED AS BOB HOPE, I AM HARMLESS BUT LIKE MR. HOPE, PREFER TO BE AROUND LADIES, OOOPPPPPSSSS WOMEN, RATHER THAN MEN.

HAVE A GREAT TIME.

Haha, thanks for the offer! I won't be able to make it this year though... maybe save a seat for me next year!

olauzon

HANK THE TANK
Silver Member
lodini said:
This is great info so far... writing it all down and checking my schedule!

So, who's coming with me??? ;-)

i'm going to give the US open a serious try in 08. it'd be fun to see you there!

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the looks of Jay's avatar during the World Pool Championships in the Phillapine's(sp) that is a very fun place, friendly and warm.

Leonard who is saving money for next year's WPC