Timing - What is it.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A request from "Low IQ"...........

Interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH2PHaGl8Ik&list=PLSCp3dlcNyCFInGBoCUQdyQxmTTipXWgS
Since I use a butt extension on my cue my timing is getting better. There are times when I feel in my grip hand that the cue ball is stuck to the tip of my cue. Or feel that the tip of my cue has penetrated the cue ball. Good feeling. :)
Happy Veterans Day to all.
John
Once, long ago, you made a very detailed posting of exactly how to build one of these things using stuff you got at Home Depot or Lowe's.
I didn't take advantage, at the time, of that knowledge you shared and would sure like to see you post that again.
I have one of the first Predator 314's, around 1996 version, and I'd like to make one for it. Most of the money tournaments I play in are on those 3 1/2 x 7 tables or the 48" x 96" tables and this extension will keep me from having to use the mechanical bridge occasionally.
Thank you very much for considering doing this again.
Regards,
Pete Lowenstein
a.k.a. "Low IQ".....:)

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once, long ago, you made a very detailed posting of exactly how to build one of these things using stuff you got at Home Depot or Lowe's.
I didn't take advantage, at the time, of that knowledge you shared and would sure like to see you post that again.
I have one of the first Predator 314's, around 1996 version, and I'd like to make one for it. Most of the money tournaments I play in are on those 3 1/2 x 7 tables or the 48" x 96" tables and this extension will keep me from having to use the mechanical bridge occasionally.
Thank you very much for considering doing this again.
Regards,
Pete Lowenstein
a.k.a. "Low IQ".....:)

No problem Pete. Let me snap a few pictures and I will post them along with a full description of materials used.

John :)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The idea that contact time can be meaningfully controlled with your stroke (or that it would make any meaningful difference if you could) has been repeatedly debunked.

I think "good timing" means hitting the CB with exactly the right cue/stroke speed for the intended shot - timing the acceleration of your stroke to "peak" at just the right time.

pj
chgo

I agree with you. I guess snooker coaches look at timing differently than we do.

Quote:

Timing is all about the cue delivery, which begins with the backswing. Your cue and cue arm have a natural cadence in just the same way as a pendulum in a grandfathers clock or a garden swing.

End quote. (Author unknown)

This is why I designed the cue extension the way I did. I'm 6'2" tall and have a wing span of 6'2". The mid cue extension and butt extension allow for me to have a pendulum to swing the cue forward. The cue is 70" long, for my wing span this is just the right length.

John

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH2PHaGl8Ik&list=PLSCp3dlcNyCFInGBoCUQdyQxmTTipXWgS

Since I use a butt extension on my cue my timing is getting better. There are times when I feel in my grip hand that the cue ball is stuck to the tip of my cue. Or feel that the tip of my cue has penetrated the cue ball. Good feeling. :)

Happy Veterans Day to all.

John
I think what you are feeling is you are feeling the hit right when you instinctively tighten the grip.
If you tighten the grip right before the tip makes contact with the ball ( b/c the cue is too short for you ) and your grip hand is already past perpendicular to the floor, the feel would be a lot different as compared to tightening the grip at the right time.
Video yourself from the side to see if you catch it.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here ya go Pete.
1. Finished extension
2. 3" copper pipe filled with 457 cal lead balls. Weighs 3 oz. I experimented with the weight and found 3 oz. right for me.
3. Weight inserted into rubber cap
4. End cap screwed on for finish
5. Slip on extension installed. For jacked up shots the extension is slipped off and stuck in my pocket.

Keep in mind that the factory weight in my cue was removed. I didn't want to feel any weight in my grip hand only the weight behind my grip hand.

The materials are as follows: the front fitting of the extension is from Lowes. It's shaped like this ]----. 1-1/8" slip-on to 7/8" barb.
Lowes didnt have any schedule 20PVC so since I have a bunch of croppy fishing poles I cut off an 8" end piece. I like this because if you want to change the weight just unscrew the cap and install what ever weight feels good to you.

Smaller folks that grip their cue in the middle of the wrap already have a built-in pendulum. Lucky them. :) If they want more or less weight all they have to do is change the factory weight.

Hope all of this helps. If not I will post pictures of my earlier extensions where all of the building materials came from Lowes.

John

Attachments

• IMG-1367 (Small).JPG
    IMG-1367 (Small).JPG
    37 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG-1368 (Small).JPG
    IMG-1368 (Small).JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG-1369 (Small).JPG
    IMG-1369 (Small).JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG-1370 (Small).JPG
    IMG-1370 (Small).JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 217
  • cue extension 1 (Small).JPG
    cue extension 1 (Small).JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what you are feeling is you are feeling the hit right when you instinctively tighten the grip.
If you tighten the grip right before the tip makes contact with the ball ( b/c the cue is too short for you ) and your grip hand is already past perpendicular to the floor, the feel would be a lot different as compared to tightening the grip at the right time.
Video yourself from the side to see if you catch it.

Joey.
I play with a 70" cue. My arm is slightly forward of perpendicular. I hold the cue with my thumb and index finger. My other 3 fingers never leave the cue they are gently resting on the cue to keep the cue from moving side ways.

I have video'd myself from 3 positions, front, back and side.

John :)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The idea that contact time can be meaningfully controlled with your stroke (or that it would make any meaningful difference if you could) has been repeatedly debunked.

I think "good timing" means hitting the CB with exactly the right cue/stroke speed for the intended shot - timing the acceleration of your stroke to "peak" at just the right time.
I agree with you. I guess snooker coaches look at timing differently than we do.
They're not alone in that - lots of pool players have also said they think "timing" and "stroke quality" are about extending tip/ball contact time.

pj
chgo

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
They're not alone - lots of pool players also think stroke and timing are about increasing tip/ball contact time.

pj
chgo

Which is fine because it makes you think you should have a smooth follow through.
With a slight elbow drop even.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...lots of pool players have also said they think "timing" and "stroke quality" are about extending tip/ball contact time.

Which is fine because it makes you think you should have a smooth follow through.
Yep - whatever visualization helps you do the right things is the right visualization, whether or not it's technically accurate. The ones I like best do both.

pj
chgo

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Actually is a myth that cue tip contact time is the same for all shots.

Let you smart guys figure out what type of shot will have a increase cue tip contact time. Hint.......type of shot that was not used in all those fancy experiments.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Can you clarify this? Are you saying that nothing can be done to change contact time, including how hard you hit the shot? If that is true, and nobody has ever hit a shot with a longer contact time, how do you know that it cannot make any difference?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Can you clarify this? Are you saying that nothing can be done to change contact time, including how hard you hit the shot? If that is true, and nobody has ever hit a shot with a longer contact time, how do you know that it cannot make any difference?
Contact time changes with force, tip offset and even tip hardness, in a normal range of 1-2 ms. That's all been demonstrated in clear and convincing ways. The theory of controlling contact time some other way, and why it would be beneficial, hasn't really even been clearly proposed.

But as was said above, if that visualization improves the effectiveness of somebody's stroke then it's a good tool, damn the reason.

pj
chgo