OB Cues shutting down?

crazy8legs

Registered
Very disappointing news. I've been shooting with an OB Classic for almost ten years. I have that shaft on all my cues now. I also used to work at a pool hall in Chicago. Although I wasn't there that day, Royce came by, hung out and took a picture with the employees. Everyone said he was a really great guy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very disappointing news. I've been shooting with an OB Classic for almost ten years. I have that shaft on all my cues now. I also used to work at a pool hall in Chicago. Although I wasn't there that day, Royce came by, hung out and took a picture with the employees. Everyone said he was a really great guy.

He was a super nice guy. When he passed they started a downward slide that led to this. Too bad.

Master of None

Paul Allers Cues
I ordered and got my Fusion 5 on Friday 27th (probably one of the last out). Problem was I ordered a 30" and received a 29". Tried contacting them phone/email until Friday 4th I got on their FB page and the chat came up and said

"Unfortunately OB cues is shut down. For how long, I do not know. If the pool gods shed some light on us, maybe we'll open back up."

Guess I have a collector's item. The other problem was I liked the shaft and it hit great.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He was!! I met him at one of the Fast Eddie's Tour Stop Events back when that used to happen in Texas. Lewis and Paul ran that. OB also sponsored a good womens Tour for a long time as well.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have NOT yet heard this, until now. I am sure you can imagine my surprise.

I am a full time robotics engineer and have a demanding schedule, but as the inventor I can provide some tech support via PMs and emails until this is sorted. I apologize in advance for any delay I may have in responding.

I can’t get my DigiCue Blue to link to my phone or iPad. Can I contact you for help?

Thanks

crazy8legs

Registered
Another thing that I don't see anyone mention yet is how this is bad for pool players as consumers. We now have lost another option of choice. OB made Predator better because of market competition. Kind of like how the Camaro makes the Mustang better. I don't think any of the other LD shaft makers (Tiger, Mezz, Jacoby, etc.) are big enough, and work on a large enough scale to really be a competitor to Predator like OB was.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone want to sell their OB-1 5/16-14 Shaft?

Seriously. I've been playing with them for over 10 years and love it.

Wore one out and it is now my back up for my relatively new shaft, but I'd like another backup for the future.

Sad to hear they are gone. Royce replaced my original OB-1 at the BCA/Riv in person because of a glue issue.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
posted late yesterday by deanoc after speaking with Don Owen (the "O" of OB):

"OB cues is in a position to take off,financing ,a large announcement and a few
great ideas that are not yet ready for public release just yet"

So maybe OB Cues has a future!

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone want to sell their OB-1 5/16-14 Shaft?

Seriously. I've been playing with them for over 10 years and love it.

Wore one out and it is now my back up for my relatively new shaft, but I'd like another backup for the future.

Sad to hear they are gone. Royce replaced my original OB-1 at the BCA/Riv in person because of a glue issue.

I have one left I would love to sell. $190 shipping included. Has the wood ferrule.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB is not shutting down

In fact they seem to be about ready to make an announcement
that please all of us who have played their products before

I expect something good

Call_me_Tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
posted late yesterday by deanoc after speaking with Don Owen (the "O" of OB):

"OB cues is in a position to take off,financing ,a large announcement and a few
great ideas that are not yet ready for public release just yet"

So maybe OB Cues has a future!

Then why are they returning warrantied items unrepaired?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then why are they returning warrantied items unrepaired?
They are currently shut-down. They probably just want to get stuff back to owners in the event this "re-start" may be a little slow. I'd be surprised if its less than 90days.

Call_me_Tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are currently shut-down. They probably just want to get stuff back to owners in the event this "re-start" may be a little slow. I'd be surprised if its less than 90days.

I not only find this hard to believe but if true a very foolish business decision.

It sounds like this business has floundered and people within are looking for a miracle gadget to save the day.

Business partners have already gone elsewhere, customers have resigned themselves to being stuck with defective equipment and all the while OB remains mute.

That last sentence is inaccurate, they have publicly stated they’re not doing business, as seen in previous posts, but new rumors pop up that a new gadget is in the works.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I not only find this hard to believe but if true a very foolish business decision.

It sounds like this business has floundered and people within are looking for a miracle gadget to save the day.

Business partners have already gone elsewhere, customers have resigned themselves to being stuck with defective equipment and all the while OB remains mute.

That last sentence is inaccurate, they have publicly stated they’re not doing business, as seen in previous posts, but new rumors pop up that a new gadget is in the works.
I don't know all the details but i've been told that the "O" in OB is planning on taking control and re-starting things. Just have to see how it pans out.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since the court system is now involved nothing is going to happen anytime soon. hopefully they can regroup and come back stronger than ever, having learned from their mistakes.