Cue makers whose brand value has decreased the most..

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Like many production cue companies, the early stuff commands a value. More than the MSRP, so yes, they have increased in value. But its only a few brochures, and a few of his player lines. There are more that have decreased than increased but you can say that about early Schons, Vikings, McDermotts and many other cues.

Just like makers.. hot today, cold tomorrow. Then there is the internet hype factor. When a new guy comes out and gets hot, then gets pumped by "dealers" and flippers.. someone has to lose footing when someone gains....

JV

Meucci?:shrug:

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically any cues that have been played with regardless of the maker. I like how pool players think their cues appreciate when I look at them like automobiles. The more you play with it the more mileage it gets. All the cues I have inspected in the past and present all have dings and scratches when the owner think it's in mint condition.

Especially cues that are custom made or so called "custom" should lose value off the bat because it was made by the specific customer. It's like those guys that try to sell high end luxury items but it's engraved with their initials. Those usually tend to lose the most value.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Basically any cues that have been played with regardless of the maker. I like how pool players think their cues appreciate when I look at them like automobiles. The more you play with it the more mileage it gets. All the cues I have inspected in the past and present all have dings and scratches when the owner think it's in mint condition.

Especially cues that are custom made or so called "custom" should lose value off the bat because it was made by the specific customer. It's like those guys that try to sell high end luxury items but it's engraved with their initials. Those usually tend to lose the most value.
Not quite true.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

FOR THE RECORD:

I have NEVER sold a cue, production or custom, for LESS than I paid for it originally.

I have been offered substantially more money than I paid, by more than one person, for every cue I still own..

Maybe it is because I keep my cues in pristine condition and "train" them...or maybe I'm just lucky in finding buyers.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Pristine 2001 Rick Howard with ebony butt, points, 4 veneers, and ivory joint/hoppe ring ain't decreasing at all. lol

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member

Only time that really applies is when someone needs money. Good cuemakers often have a long wait list, which generally means a profit when you sell one of their cues on the secondary market. Old cues in good shape often bring more, and in some cases, far more than what they originally sold for.

I have a brand new, never hit a ball cue in my case, that I'd want at least 100 more than I paid for it because it was a 2 year wait. I can probably get it, but have no desire to sell it. Really every cue in my case it would take more than I paid to get them.

I've lost money on some cues over the years, but the vast majority I made a profit after I used them for a year. Most of them were either hard to get or no longer produced.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Like many production cue companies, the early stuff commands a value. More than the MSRP, so yes, they have increased in value. But its only a few brochures, and a few of his player lines. There are more that have decreased than increased but you can say that about early Schons, Vikings, McDermotts and many other cues.

Just like makers.. hot today, cold tomorrow. Then there is the internet hype factor. When a new guy comes out and gets hot, then gets pumped by "dealers" and flippers.. someone has to lose footing when someone gains....

JV

That's a good point JV.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Where ? Who? Lol I need to see proof of that one.

Look at the sold auctions on eBay. Then there's the few FaceBook groups. People are still spending in the thousands for Meuccis.

I don't get it, but outside of the "custom biome" they're very popular cues. We are the only group looking down on Moochies. I like them from the M series, back. It really does amaze me when you look at them now, and people see the reflective back-ends and think they're real inlays. I'm like, you paid a G for a "custom" BCM with stickers, and then was able to sell it for another G to someone in the FB group?!? And, I'm over here taking a loss on a Scruggs. LOL. No sense.

EDIT: the Meucci cues I mentioned are indeed inlaid. Apologies for my assumptions of stickers.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the sold auctions on eBay. Then there's the few FaceBook groups. People are still spending in the thousands for Meuccis.

I don't get it, but outside of the "custom biome" they're very popular cues. We are the only group looking down on Moochies. I like them from the M series, back. It really does amaze me when you look at them now, and people see the reflective back-ends and think they're real inlays. I'm like, you paid a G for a "custom" BCM with stickers, and then was able to sell it for another G to someone in the FB group?!? And, I'm over here taking a loss on a Scruggs. LOL. No sense.
Just curious, who told you that those aren't inlays? Not a big Meucci fan but i thought those were all inlays. I'm gonna contact C. Lawson and ask him.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just msg'd a friend whose a big Meucci guy. Bob himself told him all cues are inlaid. NO overlays. Personally i think most of his cues are ghastly but they are ghastly inlaid. ;)
S. Erwin and another buddy told me that some of the low-end cues like the Summer Series use printed ringwork. Other than that they are inlaid.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took a bath on a Skip Weston cue. Know of others that did suffered the same.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
What exactly was the dale perry issue that lead to the decline of value of his cues? I never really heard the cause of that.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
My Lucasi is over a $100 more retail now then I paid for it new years ago.
If you sink big bucks into a custom and the value goes down too bad.

If you buy a production cue you know it's going to go down in value going in.

Personally I think spending more than $500 on a pure playing cue is foolish.
Spending big bucks on a cue for collecting, go for it.

Im with you
But with a 75 dollar players sp

A coworker had a lucasi and i gave it a go
Felt like a great player , his was cheap too