Schmidty on a mission !!! two 400+'s in the matter of a week !!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I went down to Monterey and watched this morning and John had four runs over 100 in four hours but nothing over 140. He was dealing with a sore back.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob, how would you describe the table/pockets John is using? Haven't heard of Rebco.
Rebco is a California company formed by Bob Bebb. The table John is playing on is a furniture style table but solid. John's main irritation with it is that the rails are narrow and that makes shots with the cue ball on the cushion harder since your bridge is closer than usual to the cue ball.

The pockets are generous as described before. I didn't measure them but I'd guess 5 inches. The neighboring table appears to have pockets around 4 inches or maybe a little smaller.

The cloth is slow, which John attributes to moisture. The room is not far from a fairly large ocean. And there's fog this time of year. The table seems level.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't 434 the highest run ever recorded on video? If so I'd call that a record.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you! Looking forward to seeing it later on.

And I'd like to say thanks for putting up the entire raw footage on YouTube. Easily best post of the year so far.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rebco is a California company formed by Bob Bebb. The table John is playing on is a furniture style table but solid. John's main irritation with it is that the rails are narrow and that makes shots with the cue ball on the cushion harder since your bridge is closer than usual to the cue ball.

The pockets are generous as described before. I didn't measure them but I'd guess 5 inches. The neighboring table appears to have pockets around 4 inches or maybe a little smaller.

The cloth is slow, which John attributes to moisture. The room is not far from a fairly large ocean. And there's fog this time of year. The table seems level.

The table may have seemed level, and it may have been level in nearly all areas, but WOW did the cue ball ever wander off its natural path and into a head pocket, ending the run. John couldn’t believe it, and when you see it, neither will you. Brutal way for the run to end.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I figured out what the problem was. See the threads in the main forum.

I just read that there may have been a piece of chalk or something on the cloth that caused the CB to change course like that. Makes a lot more sense than the table being badly out of level in that corner.

Does this mean that we are now going to see not only the cleaning of the cue ball, but table sweeping and vacuuming between racks?!!

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read that there may have been a piece of chalk or something on the cloth that caused the CB to change course like that. Makes a lot more sense than the table being badly out of level in that corner.

Does this mean that we are now going to see not only the cleaning of the cue ball, but table sweeping and vacuuming between racks?!!

I've watched the video a few times, normally when the cue hits chalk or some other debris it will quickly change course, his cue did not do that, it was a gradual change in direction. I think the table is just off. Whenever that happens to me I'll slow roll the ball in the general area to see which way it rolls, sure wish they would've done that so we could all see if the table is/was off.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've watched the video a few times, normally when the cue hits chalk or some other debris it will quickly change course, his cue did not do that, it was a gradual change in direction. I think the table is just off. Whenever that happens to me I'll slow roll the ball in the general area to see which way it rolls, sure wish they would've done that so we could all see if the table is/was off.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm pretty sure the cue ball was spinning on one of its measles. Look at the spin very carefully after it passes the head string. I think that measle was up or down a little.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm just too picky about the equipment I play on and with, but I can't possibly imagine that with the days and hours and effort John spent going after this record, as well as the trouble of video taping every attempt, that he would not be doing it on a table that had been recently checked and made perfectly level as possible, and that he wouldn't have been using virtually new balls, particularly the cue ball.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm just too picky about the equipment I play on and with, but I can't possibly imagine that with the days and hours and effort John spent going after this record, as well as the trouble of video taping every attempt, that he would not be doing it on a table that had been recently checked and made perfectly level as possible, and that he wouldn't have been using virtually new balls, particularly the cue ball.

I agree with this, and I also think it unlikely that a measle was high or low and the highness or lowness somehow exaggerated the curving path of the cue ball. I would look to Dr. Dave to tell us which of these measle positions, if either, would have that effect (without having caused any other adverse effect during a two hour run of over 400 balls). I’d be inclined to place weight on what John reported. He was there. He reacted immediately in a way that tells us that the path of the CB was not normal. The player knows.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't see the other thread until after my comment. Either way, it was too gradual of a change in direction to have hit something. I'll have to read up on the measle ball, never heard of it causing issues.

Thanks

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with this, and I also think it unlikely that a measle was high or low and the highness or lowness somehow exaggerated the curving path of the cue ball. I would look to Dr. Dave to tell us which of these measle positions, if either, would have that effect (without having caused any other adverse effect during a two hour run of over 400 balls). I’d be inclined to place weight on what John reported. He was there. He reacted immediately in a way that tells us that the path of the CB was not normal. The player knows.
It appeared the curve was very gradual all the way until the final 6-12 inches when it turned even more. When the cue ball initially started drawing back, it was headed more than 1 diamond from the corner pocket, when it passed by the side pockets, it was headed just inside the first diamond, when it passed the headstring it was headed at least 1/2 diamond from the corner pocket, then it took the fatal and most severe path/curve in the final 6"-12" - very strange. Normally a ball spinning like a top down the table at a slow speed will still head in a fairly straight line, which makes what happened here so unusual and unfortunate for John - Almost like the ghost of Willie put a spell on the cue ball to scratch!

Last edited: